Review by Gamerater66

"Fair enough as it can get... at least it's not Superman 64 of the future."

So 2011 was home to an award-winning video game called Batman: Arkham City. It was absolutely awesome, but what about one that was the opposite of that? That's Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters in a nutshell. It's a game that really drives one question into my head: "Should I get it, or should I not?". I didn't, thankfully. It's not the worst, but not the best either. So, let me elaborate:

Plot: 7

The Manhunters are an android race, made to serve justice. However, they became obsessed with crime and punishment above justice, thus forcing their creators to dissolve their ranks. The few Manhunters that left alive fled into exile and the Guardians created a new police force known as the Green Lantern Corps and armed their members with specially created power rings. Now that the Manhunters are ready for revenge, the Corps is looking to Hal Jordan to save the world from disaster.

Gameplay: 5

The gameplay is only average. The weapons (e.g. baseball bats) are good overall, but the worst part isn't the weapons themselves. It's actually the camera that gets the better of you when you're playing it. It feels typically unresponsive sometimes, but it's not the worst camera in the world. While the camera's not really too bad, it also loses points for being zoomed out a bit too much. I guess it's also right to say that the guys who made this game didn't put much thought into the camera.

Controls: 5

The controls depend on the version you're playing on. But I'll cover the 360 controls. You do fast attacks with the X Button, strong attacks with the Y Button, jump/action with the A Button, and use the B Button for grab claws. Everything else, I just can't remember off-hand, since I only rented this game instead of actually buying it for real. But even renting a copy was as OK as it could ever get.

Ending: 6

Hal Jordan traps the evil alien sorcerer Amon in a forcefield. Then, his energy depleted, he and his fellow lanterns execute their signature chant of no evil. Shortly afterwards, the credits start to roll.

Overall: 5.75 (rounded = 6)

Conclusion:

So this game was fine for Green Lantern fans, since the guys who made this game at least didn't leave the game as infuriating as Superman 64. Better everything in comparison to that made it better. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you next time.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 08/13/12

Game Release: Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters (US, 06/07/11)