Question from jamezz233

External HDD question?

I purchased a Seagate 3 TB HDD, its the backup plus model with external power source that plugs into the wall. My question is the light on the HDD always stays lit and the HDD is either spinning or the fan is running 24/7, even when the Xbox one is off. I want to get the most out of the HDD in terms of longevity, but don't want to sacrifice the reason I bought it for, would kinda suck having to unplug/plug after every use. People with an external HDD does it always stay running, even when your Xbox is off? If it would just go to sleep after a while without activity, and wake up when it needs to be used that would be awesome. But I don't think that's possible?

Answers

bobbychez answered:

Though this question is probably best answered by Seagate technical support, there are a couple of things I would test before contacting them. First, disconnect the HD from the Xbox to see if it spins down with power still connected (but no activity at all). If it spins down the issue is because you are connected to the Xbox and not with the HD. After that, if it spins down, the next thing would be to see what power setting you are using your Xbox One with. If you have it set to low power mode instead of actually turning it off, this could be causing enough activity to keep the hard drive on.
0 0