Anybody else keep getting Error 018-0512?

1. I am trying to play Animal Crossing: New Leaf on my 3DS XL with my girlfriend. Whenever we try and establish a connection, we get error 018-0512. We were able to play together briefly when I tried using my phone's mobile internet as a WiFi access point, but after a few minutes, we had an unspecified error and the connection dropped.

I have tried the following:
    - Changing my router's WiFi security/encryption to WEP instead of WPA2/PSK
    - Specifying an IP address and DNS servers in the 3DS XL settings
    - Adding said IP address to a DMZ on my router
    - Disabling my router's firewall
    - Having my router's WiFi channel set to 11
    - Updating the system software and the Animal Crossing game on both consoles
    - Power cycling both mine and her router

Anybody have any ideas? :(

User Info: andpurified

andpurified - 4 years ago
    Have you recently updated your system to the latest firmware?

User Info: lj_sephiroth

lj_sephiroth - 4 years ago
    Yep, sorry, forgot to include that. We've both updated our 3DS's and the game itself.

User Info: andpurified

andpurified - 4 years ago
    Have you tried turning off any internet enabled devices eg. I-Pods, PS3s, PCs.
    Anything that will connect to wifi
    I had a similar problem but when i unplugged my Wii and PS3, and turned off wifi from my apple products it worked fine

User Info: Sam258New

Sam258New - 4 years ago

1. It happens to me too and I've tried everything. I think the only way to fix this is to get a better internet service.

User Info: kelbones1104

kelbones1104 - 4 years ago 2 0

Answers

1. I keep getting this error too! I've tried everything that you have ;w;

User Info: Goombella123

Goombella123 - 4 years ago 1 1
  2. Did you try putting the code in at Nintendo's website? According to the Error code your situation:

-This error code typically indicates an issue communicating and matchmaking with other players.

-This is often caused by network firewalls blocking necessary network traffic.

-This can be caused by your network, or the network of the person you are connecting with. If these steps do not resolve your connection issue, have your friend try them as well.

User Info: Saturn_Firefly

Saturn_Firefly - 4 years ago 1 1
  3. Have you tried doing this video's advice? youtube.com/watch?v=uqQFYV-wyCc&feature=youtu.be

You're apparently supposed to keep the firewall on, then set the DMZ.

User Info: dragonstar46

dragonstar46 - 4 years ago 0 1
  4. I changed my wifi NAT from open to secured and that worked.
    I don't know how that works but try it anyway.

User Info: Temproux

Temproux - 3 years ago 0 1
  5. When you want to go to her town try going to a 'faraway town' instead of nearby (likewise, have her open the gate to faraway people). That happened to me and my sister and there were no problems when we tried this.

User Info: ShepStark

ShepStark - 3 years ago 0 4
  6. Error happens because people like flicking the wireless button which disables wireless connection so it's not your fault but if you have weak internet then sometimes it might be you. Don't worry it happens to everyone.

User Info: SazzyCakes

SazzyCakes - 3 years ago 0 4
  7. Have you tried local wireless? That always works, but you cant message best friends.

User Info: HardyHarHarHar

HardyHarHarHar - 3 years ago 0 1
  8. You probably don't have much bandwidth. Turn all other devices on wi-fi off, try to go to that other persons town, or go to the island to test it.

User Info: hallebella

hallebella - 1 year ago 0 0