Review by l syphonbyte l

Reviewed: 07/25/05

Another Simpsons game gone wrong

Ah, finally, a good Simpson's game. Right? RIGHT? PLEASE TELL ME THEY MADE A GOOD SIMPSON'S GAME FINALLY! Well... they didn't.

The graphics are okay, but not nearly spectacular. At the very least they don't have many glitchy problems, and they're slightly better than Grand Theft Auto 3's, which is what this game is trying to be. On the other hand, they're a lot worse than many other games released around the same time. (XIII, for example.)

The sounds are Simpson's-style sounds, and they even had the real voice actors do the character's voices for this game, which is nice. The music is all Simpson's music, and that's good too. Unfortunately, there isn't really much variety. There's about 2 sound effects for each thing you do, and the only things you can really do are hit things and run around, so you'll hear the characters say the same thing over... and over... and over...

The gameplay in this game really is lacking. All you do is run around kicking bees and hitting things in your car. There are about 3 types of races, and that's it. The only reason I can give the gameplay a positive score is because of all the hilarious Simpson's stuff thrown in. You can run through tomacco patches and actually go into Springfield Elementary. That's really the best part of this game, and, truth be told, it's a lot like a Simpson's episode. A bad one. You'll probably never get to see the whole thing, though, because you'll be so frustrated with how incredibly boring the game is. The maps are also pretty restrictive, so although the game might SEEM like it's Springfield, it's really fairly linear with a few alternate paths thrown in for kicks.

I can't imagine how the story for this game was thought up, and, frankly, I'd rather not know. You run around kicking gigantic alien bees, and that's pretty much the extent of the story. There are specifics thrown in, like Homer having to take Lisa's project to school, but they don't really matter and hardly draw you into the game.

I had high hopes for this game, but once again somebody had to go and screw up another Simpson's game. Literally the ONLY good part about this game is all the great Simpson's stuff everywhere. Unfortunately, the game itself is terrible. It tries to be GTA3 and ends up failing miserably. It just all seems very uninspired, bland and boring. I got this game for Christmas 2003 and haven't played it since then, and I can't think of any reason to recommend this game. You'd be better off getting a DVD set of one of the seasons of the show, to be honest.

Final Score: 4/10

Rating:   2.0 - Poor

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.