Review by l syphonbyte l

"A solid RPG, but not as good as it's predecessor"

Ah, KotOR 2. I had high hopes for this game, especially because I played it very quickly after the first KotOR.

The graphics are okay, but they're the same as the first game! The engine is the same, too. There's basically no graphical improvements at all, but they do their job well enough that they don't get in the way. I still don't understand why male twi-lek tails are one of the only shiny surfaces in the game.

It's still the same great sounds from Star Wars, but the music seems to be more repetitive than the first KotOR's. There seems to be roughly 1 battle background track, and it doesn't really remind me of a specific Star Wars track, either. Still, the sound effects are right on the mark, and they more than make up for the humdrum music.

This game's story is FAR inferior to the first game's. Instead of becoming the hero of the galaxy, you run around behind the scenes most of the game, and encounter all sorts of wacky obscure things. Even though the galaxy is supposed to know about you, it doesn't really seem like it, aside from the random bounty hunters that come from nowhere, and the HK droids on random planets. Also, a lot of parts of the story were cut out, which is a bummer. Things like the HK factory and other parts of planets, for instance, really should have been in the game. Another problem is that the story was seemed to be plain old boring, and undriven. All the planets seemed short and uninvolved, except maybe Naa Shadaar, especially when compared to the first KotOR. The side quests were mostly jokes, and you could complete most of them as you did the main game because you got quest items from main areas. The actual content of the story is okay, but not good enough to earn any high marks.

The gameplay is very good in this game, and its real saving grace. Most parts are actually better than in the first KotOR, like management screens, combat, force powers and so on. Plus, you can go past level 20, which is nice, but really unbalances the game in favor of you if you do go higher, since the game is supposed to be based on the d20 system. The only other problem is that the game is really glitchy, and some things are almost completely useless, like swoop racing. It SEEMED like it would be fun, but it's nearly impossible to beat the other people. Other problems, such as party members randomly flickering around the screen, often detract from the experience enough to be annoying.

Summary:
This is still definitely a Star Wars game, and it deals a lot more with the darker side of things. It's not nearly as good as the first KotOR, though. Still, the game is much better than a lot of others, and it was worth the 40 hours I put into it, but I doubt if I'll play it a second time through.

Final Score: 7/10

Reviewer's Rating:   3.5 - Good

Originally Posted: 07/25/05

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.