Review by redbuck

Reviewed: 06/21/10

How Far Would You Go to Save Your Father?

Hello readers, and welcome to my review on this classic game. It could be that I love retro games, but whatever the reason, I completely enjoy this game and could play it for hours. I find it odd, however, that Cranky Kong from the Donkey Kong Country series is the original Donkey Kong, then DK Jr. is in the old games, but then the DK most people recognize now is DK Jr.'s son. Where's the love for DK Jr.? Anyway, onto the review. I just thought I'd throw that out there because I just recently found this out for myself.

Graphics aren't too great by today's standards (obviously), and I wasn't around in the 80s to know if they were good for the time, but I will say that Donkey Kong is obviously a gorilla, and so is Donkey Kong Jr. You can tell who Mario, or "Jumpman" as he went by back then is, fruits are easily distinguishable among each other, and enemies are always known as an enemy.

Now the sound... isn't good, but it's definitely not bad either. The music is memorable, the sound effects aren't bad, except for when Donkey Kong Jr. runs, there is an annoying and unneeded sound that's made just like Mario made in the first game. I don't understand the point, but after a little while, it's hardly even noticeable, thanks to the emphasis on gameplay back in the 80s. Thank you 1980s!

The story is very simple. Donkey Kong from the original game has been captured by Mario, who was known as Jumpman back in the day, and it's up to his son Donkey kong Jr. to rescue him. Yup, that's it. I told you it was simple, but like I said, there was so much emphasis on gameplay back in the day, you'll hardly be worried about it. It's just there to give you a goal.

The gameplay is EXCELLENT! I absolutely love it. No, there are no big huge ridiculous worlds to explore, there are no secrets, and there are no huge explosions, but there is that focus that's needed in a true gamers heart to call themselves true gamers. When you're climbing that vine, you don't care that the graphics aren't revolutionary, the music isn't something you'd bump in your car, or that the story is extremely simplistic. All you care about is the fun you're having playing as a baby gorilla. You can grab onto two vines to climb up faster, or you can hold onto one vine to slide down quicker. Hold left or right to climb onto other vines, or go on the ground and run a little bit. One button to jump, and that's about it. The rest is up to you. Make sure both Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. are safe, because if they're not, the amazing line of games featuring our beloved gorilla friend may never come!

I'd say that overall, Donkey Kong Jr. is an extremely underrated game by today's gamers. It not only deserves recognition, but deserves a place in every gamers hearts, whether they're casual or hardcore, young or old, newbies or vets. This, the original Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong 3 can be found on the internet very easily. Happy Gaming!

Rating:   4.5 - Outstanding

Product Release: Donkey Kong Jr. (US, 12/31/82)

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.