Did you play? Round One

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Record Keeper
  3. Did you play? Round One

User Info: fearthisjuggalo

fearthisjuggalo
1 month ago#1
Did you play FFI? - Results (154 votes)
Played and beat on NES
31.17% (48 votes)
Played but didn't beat on NES
11.69% (18 votes)
Played and beat on PS1
12.99% (20 votes)
Played but didn't beat on PS1
5.84% (9 votes)
Played and beat on Handheld
25.32% (39 votes)
Played but didn't beat on Handheld
5.19% (8 votes)
Played and beat on Mobile
5.19% (8 votes)
Played but didn't beat on Mobile
0.65% (1 votes)
Played and beat on Virtual Console
1.3% (2 votes)
Played but didn't beat on Virtual Console
0.65% (1 votes)
This poll is now closed.
So, have you played and beat the one that started it all? If you’ve beaten it on multiple systems, just vote for your first, it’s always the most special. If you beat it on an emulator, vote for whichever system was being emulated.

Also, just to see, post memorable things you have about it. I’ll start.

- first, and only time, I beat it I got so excited I jumped up. And ended up bumping the NES so it did the red flashing light. Still haven’t seen the ending because I wasn’t going to do that s*** again.

- I wanted all 4 of my guys to level at the same time so if one died, didn’t matter how far back it put me, I’d reset the system and load last save. The Marsh Cave was the worst. If the piscodemons didn’t get someone, getting out after that fight always did.

- My favorite party was Warrior, Warrior, Black Belt, Red Mage.

Ya’lls turn. Let’s see what ya got.
FFRK-ViolentD 5nB2 Cid Raines Metamorphosis

User Info: Lavabit

Lavabit
1 month ago#2
Beat it on the OG PS1 NA release a decade ago.

User Info: sarothias

sarothias
1 month ago#3
Played and beat it on NES on release. i was like eight years old with my Nintendo power strategy guide :D

Played and beat it multiple times with different comps. First clear was a standard Warrior, Black Belt, White Mage and Black Mage.

Favorite groups were usually something like 2 Red Mages, White Mage and Black Mage or sub 1 Red Mage for a Thief.

Ugh one bad memory though is on my first play through thinking the White Mage was a female and giving him a female name. Annoyed me every time I had to see him once the hood was down after the class change. :/

edit:

fearthisjuggalo posted...
- I wanted all 4 of my guys to level at the same time so if one died, didn’t matter how far back it put me, I’d reset the system and load last save. The Marsh Cave was the worst. If the piscodemons didn’t get someone, getting out after that fight always did.

Just saw that. I have the same somewhat OCD behavior to this day on games wherein you have the same party from the start lol. Sometimes I can ignore it but it always bothers me. I just tend to play more cautious as I don't want to reload too far back anymore lol

That same mentality made playing Swords and Serpents, Wizardry and Dragon Warrior III rather painful as I recall.
FFRK - Garland's CSB Code: 9DXU

User Info: Sir Will

Sir Will
1 month ago#4
Played it a little as a kid. NES. Never owned it, never beat it.
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'

User Info: Relm_Arrowny_87

Relm_Arrowny_87
1 month ago#5
Played and beat on NES, and GBA. The NES version is tough and a classic, but grindy and so very RNG-heavy. The GBA version is fun and has some nice tweaks and additions, but was a little too easy imo. I guess I'd typically run Fighter/Fighter/WM/BM or Fighter/RM/WM/BM on NES, and Fighter/Monk/WM/BM on GBA.

Also, I went back a year or two ago, and did solo runs on the NES version - 6 solo runs, one for each starting character. I learned quite a lot about the game's mechanics (...and bugs and glitches...), and each character played very differently. Two things all the runs had in common though: Paralysis sucks, and the Ice Cavern sucks even more. :P

Solo Fighter was quite easy, he's just too strong of a character. Solo Red Mage was pretty easy too, he's just an obvious choice for that. Solo Black Belt was grindy and difficult at first, but eventually steamrolled everything once he reached max level. Solo White Mage was very straightforward with the stackable evasion-boosting RUSE spell, easier than most would expect. Solo Black Mage was basically a test in learning and applying enemy weaknesses. The status weaknesses in FF1 are shockingly complicated, btw. Solo Thief is the evil one. No one should ever play that grindy mess... Astos in particular is a ridiculous roadblock. But, I grinded out the levels and finished it anyway.

I did those solo runs on an emulator. I normally don't like doing challenge runs on an emulator, but manipulating FF1's random encounters requires a ton of hard and soft resets, and I didn't trust the NES cartridge to not lose my saves doing that. I tried not to abuse save states, but I did admittedly use them outside of battle for convenience, on occasion.

PS - Warmech when, DeNA? :P
What a fuddy duddy.

User Info: Houjix1138

Houjix1138
1 month ago#6
Multiple play throughs on NES and PSX.

Never understood why Black Belt/Master sucked so hard in mid to late game until I read a blurb in either the manual or player's guide about him being good with no weapons at all. Unequipped the power staff from him and watched his atk go through the roof. He did something like almost 1k to Chaos on one of my games.

Once killed Tiamat with the effect from the Bane Sword on the first try.

Still haven't seen a T-rex in all my play throughs.

First party was Fighter, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage. Favorite is 8BT team of Fighter, BM, RM, and Thief.
FFRK - 9m4D - History's Truth - Ramza USB

sarothias
1 month ago#7
Relm_Arrowny_87 posted...
Played and beat on NES, and GBA.

Trying to remember was it GBA or PSP version that added MP? Whichever (or maybe it was both?) made the game way to easy when using casters. lol having to very carefully conserve those limited casts was an interesting way to play.

Even the overall game itself was made faaaar too easy to be enjoyable (for me at least).

User Info: Thevideokid

Thevideokid
1 month ago#8
GBA added MP, and it also fixed a lot of the glitches. It was hilariously easy as compared to the original release.
XBL gt: TheCrisco
3DS FC 3926-4763-4865, IGN: Crisco

User Info: Lord Bob Bree

Lord Bob Bree
1 month ago#9
GBA added MP. Beat it myself on NES and GBA, including Warmech and the bonus dungeons. NES wasn't as hard as I was expecting.
"I like goldfish" Godric, Aidyn Chronicles

sarothias
1 month ago#10
Thevideokid posted...
GBA added MP, and it also fixed a lot of the glitches. It was hilariously easy as compared to the original release.

lol thanks :D
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Record Keeper
  3. Did you play? Round One

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived