#6897 - How do you feel about playing as a silent protagonist in a game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #6897 - How do you feel about playing as a silent protagonist in a game?

User Info: KJ StErOiDs

KJ StErOiDs
4 weeks ago#1
Full poll title: How do you feel about playing as a silent protagonist (Link, Crono, Gordon Freeman) in a game?

I voted for "I don't care one way or the other, honestly." I'm fine either way so long as they don't talk too much if they do indeed talk.
A plethora of DKC-related fanart to numb your mind:
http://kjsteroids.deviantart.com

User Info: Sashanan

Sashanan
4 weeks ago#2
Missing the poll option '...' :P
A gentleman will walk, but never run

User Info: Mynash

Mynash
4 weeks ago#3
https://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/6897-how-do-you-feel-about-playing-as-a-silent-protagonist-link

I personally prefer the silent protagonist over the chatty ones. They usually talk too much or have over-the-top reactions and extremely cheesy one-liners. Having a silent protagonist doesn't just allow me to get into the character more, it also skips all these annoying traits I mentioned.

I don't need a character to tell me how I feel during the story. Characters like Zidane and Tidus (FF9 & FFX, respectively) can take a backseat, and you can give me a protagonist like Byuu (Bahamut Lagoon), Serge (Chrono Cross) or Vahn (Legend of Legaia) any day.

The only time Vahn speaks in an audible voice is during battle. Tornado Flame!! He's a man of few words, but damn they ring deep even after all these years.

User Info: LoneCourier2281

LoneCourier2281
4 weeks ago#4
In memory of the crew of Easy 40. 20th January 2007.

User Info: DJStrong

DJStrong
4 weeks ago#5
I hate to be an "it depends" guy but I am going all in on it just because there are examples I can think of that I really like and do not like. My favorite silent protag was from Chrono Cross, I suspect I would feel OK with most RPGs of that nature being silent. Now I am playing Destiny 2 and they make a vacuous and comedically illiterate floating robot talk for you, it is atrocious and just highlights how sub-par the writing in that game really is . For large story driven, action heavy games, I think it is more satisfying to play the character, someone like Shepherd from Mass Effect (he still gets to be a living part of the story no matter what options you pick instead of just being swept along by events).

While I am rambling, I liked the idea of being a silent observer in the the Ghostbusters videogame, because when you were a kid you wanted to be "a" ghostbuster not one of "the" ghostbusters, so being along for the ride worked there. I think for new IPs and new characters taking the role of an actual person with a history and a future is much more exciting.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood"

User Info: LoneCourier2281

LoneCourier2281
4 weeks ago#6
Honestly when it came to like New Vegas, I really wish they had someone voicing those lines the Courier would say.
In memory of the crew of Easy 40. 20th January 2007.

User Info: Time

Time
4 weeks ago#7
LoneCourier2281 posted...
http://karma.hardcore-tm.com - GameFAQs Karma Calculator.

User Info: Revegelance

Revegelance
4 weeks ago#8
I generally prefer my characters to be just that - a character. I don't play games to insert myself into the story, and it's always really awkward to watch other characters interact with the protagonist as though his is talking, but then he isn't.

That said, I still love games like Zelda, and Chrono Trigger, etc. I just think I'd like them more if Link and Crono had an actual personality.
My Mario Maker levels: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Revegelance

User Info: Vycoul

Vycoul
4 weeks ago#9
If the game isn't very story-centric then I don't mind.

And I can see why games that revolve around your responses to other character's dialog have silent protagonists. It would require so much more writing and recording otherwise.
Though, I can think of a few games that would have been better off ditching that whole idea... Looking at you, Xenoblade Chronicles X.

But more often than not, the realization that the protagonist is going to be the silent type causes me to let out a groan.
Especially nowadays when most games have voice acting; it really highlights the awkwardness.

It's not a huge deal to me, but I'd rather have a real character in most cases.
(the Etrian Odyssey series and Link being the main exceptions that I can think of.)
Long live Atlus and NIS.

User Info: Aegis_Runestone

Aegis_Runestone
4 weeks ago#10
v ---Read--- v
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/402828/
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #6897 - How do you feel about playing as a silent protagonist in a game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived