No love for War of the Chosen?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM 2
  3. No love for War of the Chosen?

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 months ago#11
Neo_Tai posted...
So for a novice what should i do at the beginning of the game and should i get also the dlc as well?

Ooh, that's a big question. I'll try to answer the best I can.

First of all DLC - there are three ones currently out and the War of the Chosen expansio just around the corner. I am fairly sure that the expansion would be worth it but let me break down the currently existing DLC:

- Anarchy's Children - it's a purely cosmetic pack that adds more steampunk and Mad Max type clothing. IMO, it's not worth it really although some of the pieces do look nice. I'd say avoid it for now - you can get it later.
- Alien Hunters - it adds a new story mission, few new unique weapons and adds something akin to boss encounters where you have to fight really strong alien rulers. It's my favourite DLC for this game and I think it's worth it. The new weapons you get early and are actually decent, so they can help you out a bit in the early game, the alien rulers show up after you finish the new mission and I suggest you don't rush that until you have some levelled soldiers and at least tier 2 weapons.
- Shen's Last Gift - adds another new story mission and a new soldier type - the SPARK unit which is a fully mechanised soldier. The SPARKs are fun but IMO don't quite work as well as the other soldiers since you cannot use PCS (soldier upgrades) or modify their weapons. At least not by default, you can add mods to change that. Overall you can skip it and get it later, I don't think it's essential.

As for what to do - most important thing is to accept defeat. You can easily lose soldiers and missions that can eventually cost you your campaign and that's especially true if you don't know exactly how the tactical and strategic aspects work. The best thing is to learn from your mistakes and know what to do or not do next time around.

A bit more specific advice would also be of use, of course:
- offence is the best defence is quite true in this game - killing enemies before they have a chance to act is better than letting them do their thing and try to patch it afterwards. That's not to say that defence is useless - you are going to be hit so it's also important to survive it. However, when you can research the next tier of armours or weapons, I'd prioritise weapons
- focus on killing enemies rather than damaging them. For example doing 4 damage to three aliens is a total of 12 and it's good but overkilling one and only doing 8 damage is a lot more useful. Ties in with the offence is defence thing - an enemy with even 1 HP can still do full damage, while a dead one cannot, so it's more valuable to have a dead enemy than doing more damage across more living ones
- don't neglect utility items. Flashbangs in particular are available early on and can be invaluable for keeping your squad alive - they disable a lot of enemy abilities, slow them and hinder their aim. Flashbanging a sectoid makes it immediately drop any active psy effects - zombies and mind control, while flashbanging a stun lancer makes them unable to use their melee attack. These could be some of the more dangerous units early game and a flashbang makes them mostly harmless
- learn to prioritise enemies - try to kill the most dangerous if possible, if not either disable or avoid them. For example, an officer can be dangerous but if you can either flashbang them or move away, they will not be as dangerous
- evaluate turns carefully - you want to have a main plan and backups. If you try to kill a unit, know that it might fail and consider what you can do if that were the case. E.g., if you expect three soldiers to hit, leave the one with the flashbang last - if any of the first two misses, then you will need to throw it.
- move carefully in battle. You want to trigger one group at a time, so rushing can trigger another.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Neo_Tai

Neo_Tai
3 months ago#12
i see thank for the big question :P here a other one i hear you can make your base the way you want but if you put to much resort into one it may cause you a lots of pain is that true? (also what should i get first in the game )

Neo_Tai
3 months ago#13
also should i get war of the chosen before of after?

User Info: Razer1313

Razer1313
3 months ago#14
It looks like war of the chosen will add a lot of things but only make a couple of small changes fur the better so I'll recommend getting from the start.
XBL GT: SleazyEagle72, I'll try anything if its fun!

Neo_Tai
3 months ago#15
Razer1313 posted...
It looks like war of the chosen will add a lot of things but only make a couple of small changes fur the better so I'll recommend getting from the start.

guess i will wait for a sale cause wont paid 120$ for this

Razer1313
3 months ago#16
Understandable

Neo_Tai
3 months ago#17
Razer1313 posted...
Understandable

should i play the first one to understand the story? or should i go straight into this game when it come on sale?

Razer1313
3 months ago#18
There's not much in the way of airy continuity. I'd recommend playing the first one just so you can appreciate the jump up in quality but I wouldn't go out of my way fur it. This game is far far superior.

User Info: Death Commander

Death Commander
3 months ago#19
I'll wait for it's on sale.
History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.

User Info: Caldo15

Caldo15
3 months ago#20
Have the achievements for this dlc been released yet for the Xbox one? For $40 there better be at least 800 achievement points
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM 2
  3. No love for War of the Chosen?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived