Fallout 4 not an RPG thoughts

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Fallout 4 not an RPG thoughts

User Info: nightcola

nightcola
1 year ago#1
What do you guys think of this ?

http://www.pcgamesn.com/fallout-4/fallout-4-is-not-an-rpg

if you don't want to read it, in short its about how Bethesda have been moving away from their traditional routes over time and how Fallout 4 was made deliberately made to not be an RPG but more sims/minecraft and much more linear with choices as to keep to the purpose on the games intent. Its their idea of progress and the future it seems.

I do agree with this and never believed the flaws are unintended mistakes. Bethesda had too much experience than that so I think Fallout 4 is exactly as intended which gives traditional Fallout fans a middle finger imo. This all is confirmed by the constant settlement building DLC and how it is more precedent than anything else in the game.

User Info: Iceaxe0140

Iceaxe0140
1 year ago#2
It's still a rpg regardless. You play through the lense of a vault dweller with a specific backstory. That's pretty much role playing if I'm not mistaken. If the argument is that their games have been shifted in terms of story, development, and game play, then yeah it has gone downward in those terms. On the other hand, they began with Fallout 3 which was technically the previous game. Fallout NV isn't really a fair comparison since it was developed by Obsidian who made the original Fallout and Fallout 2 which were more focused on story among other things.

Bethesda in Fallout 3 was focused more on concept and game mechanics which turned it into more of a shooter rpg expanding it's popularity among more casual gamers.

The settlement building mechanic they added isn't necessarily a departure. In some aspects, it adds another layer of realism or immersion which could arguably add to role playing. The problem I see is that they moved away from story and plot to focus on customization and Sim like gameplay. In most games, story keeps the player engaged and immersed in the lore and backstory. Games that don't rely on story, plot, etc focus more on mindless repetitive activities that usually are to pass time or engage the mind to solve puzzles (basically keep the mind occupied rather than turn the pages of an adventure or story).

When I look it, the game play is fine, the characters are more or less ok, the settlement building is something new that adds another layer (if you so choose. It's an optional part of the game). The problem I have is the story and lack of development. I think Fallout 3 had a more fleshed out story and characters which kept the player engaged in the lore as much as it could. Story isn't Bethesda's strong suit. It's kind of expected though considering they aren't the original creators (who normally would have a clear vision and direction they want to take the game storywise in future incarnations). I thought Fallout NV had a much better story line and was much more fleshed out.

It's kind of a trade off I guess. Bethesda made the game more popular and profitable but at the same time made it more generic. It's too bad they didn't expand on what Fallout NV offered in some aspects.

User Info: SlashmanSG

SlashmanSG
1 year ago#3
Iceaxe0140 posted...
It's still an rpg
Fight Science with Wood http://i.imgur.com/MMRZgNi.gif
http://i.imgur.com/Um0p3xx.gif http://i.imgur.com/MIbbUHB.gif

User Info: Sububa

Sububa
1 year ago#4
It's a RPG. Just not a very good one.

User Info: nightcola

nightcola
1 year ago#5
The problem I see is that they moved away from story and plot to focus on customization and Sim like gameplay.

This is it and it seems many people don't know its all intended and not some mistake. the customisation for you as your character has for sure gone down since you are very much forced into an identity. I think settlement building has spoiled it tho, its an ok extra but its not really an extra , as i said it takes precedent over everything else and many included myself want more story based content and new lands. For myself it also kills replay, just the thought of building settlements all over the commonwealth again seems more like a chore. I think they should of added much less of them and made some of their own like previous games. Something about built settlements also feels lifeless too imo.

Settlement building aside , they gone the mass effect route with giving you a character and a voice which works with mass effect but in Fallout people have always liked that you make your own character and story , the same with TES games.

User Info: XioDrago

XioDrago
1 year ago#6
nightcola posted...
Settlement building aside , they gone the mass effect route with giving you a character and a voice which works with mass effect but in Fallout people have always liked that you make your own character and story , the same with TES games.

Because Mass Effect is the first game ever to put you in the shoes of a voiced protagonist with a background.

I can RP as any kind of character I want without issue, just like I could in Fallout 3/NV. Being voiced and having a past does not detract from Role-playing anymore than your character being a mute and having the ability to pause time in dialouge.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 year ago#7
If Fallout 4 isn't an RPG then I have to wonder what Wizardry, a game considered to be one of the granddaddies of the RPG genre, is.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Strelok

Strelok
1 year ago#8
Marikhen posted...
If Fallout 4 isn't an RPG then I have to wonder what Wizardry, a game considered to be one of the granddaddies of the RPG genre, is.

Well, if Wizardry isn't an RPG, then, if anything, it's ballbustingly hard, and awesome as hell.
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 year ago#9
Do you know if the PC version was substantially different from the NES version with regards to "difficulty?" I've only played the NES version, and much like Pony Canyon's port of Ultima 4 there was a substantial difference at least in the graphics/interface department.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Strelok

Strelok
1 year ago#10
Oh definitely. I played W1, 4, 6, 7 and 8.
4 is the only one I never beat, but f*** ME if the others weren't difficult as all hell either.
Although 8 is the easiest of the bunch, and even 8 has moments that are cheap/unfair.
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Fallout 4 not an RPG thoughts

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived