For those that has played, how's the level design & atmosphere?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. For those that has played, how's the level design & atmosphere?

User Info: dainZ

dainZ
1 year ago#1
DeS's Tower of Latria will always be my favorite, period. The ominous beating heart at 3-2, the silent, cricket chirping prison level were all too good.

While BB had really good level designs, it still didn't top Latria for me.

User Info: kingstag

kingstag
1 year ago#2
I loved BB but the claustrophobic city layouts didn't work for me nearly as well as the more open environments of Dark Souls 1 and 2.

I'm replaying DS1 and 2 in anticipation of DS3 and the level of design of DS1 never ceases to amaze me in it's awesomeness. The interconnectivity, the shortcuts, the atmosphere. Just amazing work by the developers. DS2 was lacking a bit in this regard and I hope it comes back in DS3.

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
1 year ago#3
DS2 has incredible level designs, even how some locations were connected didn't make sense, each area still has incredible level design with the best open world in the series, in some ways even better than DkS1.

and Drangleic Castle is the greatest designed castle to date, it mops the floor with Cainhurst Castle.

as for atmosphere, they all have great atmosphere, but of course DkS1 has the best atmosphere.

DeS did have some great atmosphere but most of it was exclusive to Tower Latria and Boletaria Palace,
though the hub/nexus stuff really ruined the world with its teleport hub design, which also dumbed down Bloodborne's world as well.

city wise, I think Bloodborne has the best city level design/architecture, even though a lot of it doesn't make sense and there's no logical way how carriages could enter or exit those streets

Bloodborne also has the best forest level design.

though yea, DkS1 and DKS2 mostly have the greatest level designs, not sure about DkS3, but it looks like it could surpass those. but the separate hub system places it below DkS1's world.

User Info: mattat01

mattat01
1 year ago#4
I'm still pretty early in game but I will alot of the areas are massive and pretty well designed
GT: mattat01 PSN:mattat_01 FC: 0619 6305 7285

User Info: Melfiice

Melfiice
1 year ago#5
xenosaga123 posted...
DS2 has incredible level designs, even how some locations were connected didn't make sense, each area still has incredible level design with the best open world in the series, in some ways even better than DkS1.

and Drangleic Castle is the greatest designed castle to date, it mops the floor with Cainhurst Castle.

as for atmosphere, they all have great atmosphere, but of course DkS1 has the best atmosphere.

DeS did have some great atmosphere but most of it was exclusive to Tower Latria and Boletaria Palace,
though the hub/nexus stuff really ruined the world with its teleport hub design, which also dumbed down Bloodborne's world as well.

city wise, I think Bloodborne has the best city level design/architecture, even though a lot of it doesn't make sense and there's no logical way how carriages could enter or exit those streets

Bloodborne also has the best forest level design.

though yea, DkS1 and DKS2 mostly have the greatest level designs, not sure about DkS3, but it looks like it could surpass those. but the separate hub system places it below DkS1's world.

Lmao
Gamertag: L GUT5 L

User Info: PreacherBeelze

PreacherBeelze
1 year ago#6
It's really really good. I wish there were more options at the wall in terms of where you can go, I miss having 3 separate paths like dks... But that's my only complaint and it's minor.

I agree with people when they say the game is dense, it's filled with stuff, and overall the atmosphere is top tier.

The castles aren't terrible as well, so it looks like tanimura is taking some clear lessons in level design.

Some of the weapons and armor straddle the ridiculous line a bit heavy, but not ridiculously cartoony or anything... Some do have an anime vibe, both armors and weapons, but not like the butterfly set or the smelter helm... It's still within tasteful.

All in all, I can't see anyone having much of an issue with the level design of the game, outside of the linearity of the beginning areas.... But seriously, it's a small problem, I've already starterd 4 guys... 1st one I took it slow, the rest I ran through grabbing only the thigs I needed that I found with the first character... 1st one took about 3 hours to get past the wall, and to get up to the 3rd boss, locating everything exploring everywhere... The next 3 took cumulatively about an hour to get to the same spot skipping the bits I deemed unneccessary for their builds, like 20 minutes beelining each one.

So that said, it's pretty easy to get past that initial barrier.
I'm a painter - http://m.imgur.com/leHjKgZ

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
1 year ago#7
so it opens up after the wall whatever?

User Info: george43

george43
1 year ago#8
I think Frozen Eleum Loyce was the best level design in DkS 2 (other than frigid outskirts...fuuu that place). In fact al DkS2 DLC level design was head and shoulders above the rest of the game.

If DkS3 encroaches on that level of design I will be a happy camper.

User Info: WinstonSmith84

WinstonSmith84
1 year ago#9
PreacherBeelze posted...
It's really really good. I wish there were more options at the wall in terms of where you can go, I miss having 3 separate paths like dks... But that's my only complaint and it's minor.

I agree with people when they say the game is dense, it's filled with stuff, and overall the atmosphere is top tier.

The castles aren't terrible as well, so it looks like tanimura is taking some clear lessons in level design.

Some of the weapons and armor straddle the ridiculous line a bit heavy, but not ridiculously cartoony or anything... Some do have an anime vibe, both armors and weapons, but not like the butterfly set or the smelter helm... It's still within tasteful.

All in all, I can't see anyone having much of an issue with the level design of the game, outside of the linearity of the beginning areas.... But seriously, it's a small problem, I've already starterd 4 guys... 1st one I took it slow, the rest I ran through grabbing only the thigs I needed that I found with the first character... 1st one took about 3 hours to get past the wall, and to get up to the 3rd boss, locating everything exploring everywhere... The next 3 took cumulatively about an hour to get to the same spot skipping the bits I deemed unneccessary for their builds, like 20 minutes beelining each one.

So that said, it's pretty easy to get past that initial barrier.

Sounds great.

Quickly, how far into the game was the NST area? Also, please tell me the character movement and combat is a complete 180 from Dks 2.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face for ever.
- O'Brien *slip slop slip slop*

User Info: abbeldydoo

abbeldydoo
1 year ago#10
The maps are very dense and atmospheric.They have multiple routes and plenty of secrets.Very well done and after playing tons of DS2 its a nice change from mainly linear routes with empty rooms.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. For those that has played, how's the level design & atmosphere?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived