The difference in the writing...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. The difference in the writing...

User Info: Maelora

Maelora
5 months ago#1
Having replayed SP, I feel the difference of the writing in MEA is the tone and the audience it's trying to reach.

The original Mass Effect was written by guys like Karpyshyn, who loved Star Trek and the original Star Wars movies. They enjoyed 2001: A Space Odyssey, knew the history of science-fiction, knew who Heinlein and Asimov were.

Andromeda was written by people whose idea of sci-fi was Divergent, Jupiter Rising and Hunger Games. They didn't care about what they saw as 'old' sci-fi, they didn't want a lot of science stuff in there, or long talky scenes. They were the Twitter generation who liked snappy sound-bites, snarky dialogue and were happy as long as they had a plucky heroine to relate to and some hot guys to swoon over. At most, they were going for something fun like Guardians of the Galaxy, but didn't quite have the writers and actors to pull it off.

I'm not saying the latter is objectively wrong or bad. Just that the game was written for an entirely different audience to the originals.

Those who don't like the MEA story are unhappy at the abrupt change in tone, and that it doesn't feel like the original games.

Those who love it seem to like the lighter tone and teen-drama dialogue as it reminds them of their favourite TV shows and movies. Or they are mostly into multiplayer and skip the dialogues anyway.

The whole thing is just trying so hard to be cool with all the slang and casual snark.
'This ain't your parent's Mass Effect, fam.'

User Info: Muflaggin

Muflaggin
5 months ago#2
I think it's also more that Sheppard felt like a pretty serious dude who got s*** done (but also had his funny moments). Felt like an adult. Ryder just feels like a frat kid and it shows. It's just constant jokes and one liners, with him. The tone just feels totally different overall. I think your Guardians example is pretty spot on actually.
LightSnake: "Sigh....I might've been wrong about a lot this time."
Terra-enforcer: "You were right. I was wrong. I'm a filthy welcher."

User Info: DeviljhoHAX

DeviljhoHAX
5 months ago#3
I somewhat agree. I just got the game a while ago and I get GotG feeling whenever I play it. I'm only level 15 right now, doing missions on Voeld then going to Havarl.
Dark Souls 3 trophy HQ images: click on the Xbox One section
http://www.gamesxtreme.com/game/dark-souls-iii/achievements/

User Info: funkyfritter

funkyfritter
5 months ago#4
They definitely tried for a different tone this time around, but I don't think that's the issue. You can make almost any concept work if the writing is good enough, the execution just isn't up to snuff in this game.
And with that...pow! I'm gone!

User Info: abyss

abyss
5 months ago#5
I think it's quite possible. However I will also say that ME pretty much abandoned a lot of it's sci fi roots as early as ME2, where it become far more 'big action movie'.

So I think the people who inevitably hate on Andromeda for this should consider that as well.

User Info: 20ME2cmpnvet

20ME2cmpnvet
5 months ago#6
abyss posted...
I think it's quite possible. However I will also say that ME pretty much abandoned a lot of it's sci fi roots as early as ME2, where it become far more 'big action movie'.

So I think the people who inevitably hate on Andromeda for this should consider that as well.

This...

ME1 got very technical. Codex entries, planet blurbs, and conversations with crew members. The other games got lazy with that.

Also got to remember. Shepard was a Special Forces commander. He had previous leadership roles. Also being a N7 he went through countless tactics and leadership courses. He also was late 20's actually I think he was early 30's. Shepard was plan for the worst hope for the best.

Ryder is early 20's with a short Alliance career guarding a Mass Relay. Yeah he knows how to fight, but this is probably his first leadership role. It doesn't even mention if he was enlisted or a officer. It shows in how he talks to people. He is also optimistic. Craves adventure. A Explorer of new things and wants all new experiences to be positive ones.

2 completely different personalities.
My Game Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/127344542@N08/
"Never touch another man's fries !!"

User Info: Carmelo

Carmelo
5 months ago#7
I don't think they made a conscious decision to try and court a new audience. I simply think the team of writers they hired was not up to snuff, and not skilled at writing anything other than super campy "we're all going on an adventure!" dialogue. It's actually hard to write serious drama and make it sound believable. This writing group failed at that.

User Info: Carmelo

Carmelo
5 months ago#8
abyss posted...

Sorry, but the dialogue in ME2 and 3 was still excellent and fit the sci fi theme just fine. Andromeda isn't even close to the same level. At no point during ME 1,2 or 3 did I ever face palm hard because of a corny out of place one liner. I do it all the f***ing time in ME:A

User Info: drclaeys

drclaeys
5 months ago#9
Friends.

I am not sure why the tone is different. I think it takes MORE skill to write serious. This script could have been written by high school kids. Non professionals.

Sometimes I just CRINGE at some of ryders responses. Hey look another body. " lets look for More" No emotion. no feelings. its also how the lines are delivered. its like they do not fit what is going on. Very monotone.

I played Tales of Berxxxxx and that almost made me cry like 4 times. Right now I am playing Persona 5, those games seem to have alot of feelings to them. This game is bland. fun, but bland.

my opinion. Thank you for sharing.
Dr. Darrell of Michigan
Back from Costa Rica. I got yelled at by a park ranger, for "shooing" a poisonous snake off the trail with my camera.

User Info: ZERO2936

ZERO2936
5 months ago#10
abyss posted...

Exactly. The change in writing and tone began with ME2 and its completely inane intro.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. The difference in the writing...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived