So many take issue with me3's ending, but my issue is with its start *spoilers*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. So many take issue with me3's ending, but my issue is with its start *spoilers*

User Info: Flamechamp2333

Flamechamp2333
2 months ago#1
Or rather, I wanted Bioware to go the route of KOTOR and let us work with the illusive man.

Shortly before mass effect 3 released, I was wondering how the illusive man would work with us and what role he would play in the final game, but I was disappointed to see us immediately be foes and making him the other bad guy from the get go. It would be been completely gutsy for bioware/ea to basically do it like the witcher 2 did and make 2 separate games where there are 2 routes you could take.

No, it probably wouldn't be at the start since that would take forever and be more expensive, but they could have done it at the halfway point or 3/4 of the game through like KOTOR, where there is a "good" path and an "evil" path. I don't really look at it like that since the illusive man wanting to control the reapers and putting humans first isn't evil in my eyes, just very selfish, but in this case, the ends justifies the means since it will save the galaxy, although put us in control.

One route could be the route that already exists, and the other could be us ditching the alliance/anderson/hackett and working alongside the illusive man. We still could visit the same planets/missions as the game we already know, but working undercover for him somehow and betraying the alliance secretly behind their backs, then have a completely different ending stretch to the game to make it oh so very different.

User Info: Pootbird

Pootbird
2 months ago#2
ME3 was a great game. The last 1% shouldn't totally disregard the first 99%.

With the extended cut, the ending is serviceable anyways.
The Official Widowmaker Of The Overwatch Boards.
No one can hide from my sight.

User Info: Flamechamp2333

Flamechamp2333
2 months ago#3
I really do like it. Gets way too much hate. It wrapped up a lot of things and it had a lot to wrap up since me2 didn't really resolve anything except have a hundred cases of world building, which put a lot of pressure on the third game to finish stories up.

Don't really like the sidequests though.

User Info: ddallmas

ddallmas
2 months ago#4
I just don't see why there's all this stuff with which ending is canon too me it's destroy with high war assets mean the geth and EDI get screwed over boo hoo.
Psn-domdomsworld

User Info: Pootbird

Pootbird
2 months ago#5
ddallmas posted...
I just don't see why there's all this stuff with which ending is canon too me it's destroy with high war assets mean the geth and EDI get screwed over boo hoo.

Each ending has their merits. I personally always go for Synthesis. It may result in The Reapers getting off the hook but it finally stops The Cycle and everyone lives in harmony.
The Official Widowmaker Of The Overwatch Boards.
No one can hide from my sight.

User Info: Chr0noid

Chr0noid
2 months ago#6
There were many problems with Mas Effect 3, it wasn't just the ending.
We are so dead. But at least I have a girlfriend! -Lion-O

User Info: Golden_Gonads

Golden_Gonads
2 months ago#7
Pootbird posted...

With the extended cut, the ending is serviceable anyways.

There are several points throughout the series that show AI's and organics working together, but the end 'boss' say's "Nope. Can't happen. I'm right, you're wrong. Choose destruction, enslavement or hippieville. Those missions and outcomes you worked so hard for mean sweet sod all".

I also have issue with the fact none of your choices throughout decide the ending you get. It's door A, B or C, regardless of what path you took.

User Info: belisar6

belisar6
2 months ago#8
I kind of agree that the problem with the ending was due to how the game starts, but for me it was the whole Reaper invasion. Once they have the entire Reaper fleet show up, and repeatedly drum in the idea that 'we can't defeat them through conventional means,' some sort of deus ex machina ending becomes inevitable.

Back in ME1, they theorized that the Reapers remain dormant and vulnerable somewhere in Dark Space, reachable through the Citadel mass relay. They could have had ME3 open with Harbinger and a small number of Reapers attacking, and trying to reach the Citadel to bring in the rest of the Reapers.

Meanwhile, Shepard could be trying to find the key to unlocking the Citadel mass relay, while rallying the rest of the galaxy to assemble a force to fight the Reapers. It would be a race to see if Shepard could access the Citadel mass relay, and attack the dormant Reaper fleet pre-emptively, before Harbinger can make it to the Citadel himself.

Really, the game could have played out almost exactly the same way, except you could have a chance at a conventional victory, rather than an ending most found unsatisfactory (to put in mildly!)
We were going full speed ahead... but facing backwards the whole time.

User Info: NPUser3000

NPUser3000
2 months ago#9
Flamechamp2333 posted...
Or rather, I wanted Bioware to go the route of KOTOR and let us work with the illusive man.

Shortly before mass effect 3 released, I was wondering how the illusive man would work with us and what role he would play in the final game, but I was disappointed to see us immediately be foes and making him the other bad guy from the get go. It would be been completely gutsy for bioware/ea to basically do it like the witcher 2 did and make 2 separate games where there are 2 routes you could take.

No, it probably wouldn't be at the start since that would take forever and be more expensive, but they could have done it at the halfway point or 3/4 of the game through like KOTOR, where there is a "good" path and an "evil" path. I don't really look at it like that since the illusive man wanting to control the reapers and putting humans first isn't evil in my eyes, just very selfish, but in this case, the ends justifies the means since it will save the galaxy, although put us in control.

One route could be the route that already exists, and the other could be us ditching the alliance/anderson/hackett and working alongside the illusive man. We still could visit the same planets/missions as the game we already know, but working undercover for him somehow and betraying the alliance secretly behind their backs, then have a completely different ending stretch to the game to make it oh so very different.

See I have many problems with but maybe it just my personality. First off I don’t trust anybody who refuses to meet me face to face. Second he puts me in charge but questions every choice I make. Third he acts like he is the second coming of Christ.Fourth he leaves you for dead.Fifth he doesn’t pay well. Only redeeming thing was a better Normandy. Though like I said that’s just me
Check out my let play channel on YouTube: Rkay421. Current lets plays: Bioshock infinite (blind), Mass effect
3DS code:4854-6969-5478 PSN:Rkaybeast21

User Info: NibeIungsnarf

NibeIungsnarf
2 months ago#10
Pootbird posted...

I don't see why not. An ending can make or break any form of media. Would anyone like The Usual Suspects without the ending? Would Citizen Kane be a great film if the question of what Rosebud was and what Kane held most dear to his heart remained unanswered?

That said I don't subscribe to the "It was perfect till the last 10 minutes" school of opinions, but I don't see anythign inherently wrong with it as a concept.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. So many take issue with me3's ending, but my issue is with its start *spoilers*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived