Debating doing either "Soldier" or "Engineer." (First Time)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. Debating doing either "Soldier" or "Engineer." (First Time)

User Info: Zanimar

Zanimar
2 months ago#1
Hello, I just picked up the game and so I've been debating on if building my character like a Soldier or an Engineer would make for the most fun and easiest time for a first playthrough. In most games I do tend to play as the "mage" archetype character or when that isn't available, the archer/gunner type. Though I don't know how effective an Engineer type would be since as I've kept tabs on this game since it first came out, I kept hearing that powers were useless compared to guns, but I don't know if that has changed or not.

Also I kinda prefer the overheat system of ME1 with weapons and tended to use Adept or Engineer in ME2 and 3.

So yeah, any advice on if I should stay with the idea of being a pure "Soldier" or would a pure "Engineer" be just as effective and fun?
PSN - Ruxl
Steam - Renryuu

User Info: BigBaIIerBrand

BigBaIIerBrand
2 months ago#2
engineer is low tier and so is soldier

tactical cloak/stealth grid/biotic charge are the best powers.

but if you want to stick to one, i would say engineer since they have overload(good stun/crowd control) and shield boost.

but it really doesn't matter in the long run because you have access to every class(as lnog as you have enough spec points)

User Info: SageOfLife

SageOfLife
2 months ago#3
The Tech tree has the Life Support upgrade in one of its passives, which allows you to heal yourself by using a Tech power. That is a major edge to Engineer.
Get your f*#%*!% foot off my neck, then we'll talk tolerance. - David Gerrold

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
2 months ago#4
I did full Engineer the first time through and it works fine. Overload sets enemies up for headshots while stripping their shields, and is an easy pick for one of your power slots. Invasion is a handy power as well, which provides damage over time and makes enemies detonate when they get low on health. I'm not sure where the balance is on it now, but the Assault Turret was sadly a bit weak in the early days. Still, an onslaught of Incinerate, Overload, and Invasion will work wonders for damage and crowd control.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

User Info: trigunfan1

trigunfan1
2 months ago#5
If you're talking about single player you can do both or a hybrid. Respecing Does get expensive after a while but it's certainly possible period from what I remember MP level 20 comes fast and everything you earn through loot boxes is available To all your characters so try both
(message deleted)

BigBaIIerBrand
2 months ago#7
here's how to win on insanity

spec tactical cloak or stealth grid
spec biotic charge( as a way to heal yourself)
spec overload to stun

craft weapons that auto heal you per shot or auto reload

after you do those 4, you can max out any other skill tree you see fit

User Info: ChrisHoxaTron

ChrisHoxaTron
2 months ago#8
Hold on, are we taking MP or SP here?

Because I'm pretty sure stealth grid ain't in the SP, unless you some how modded your save file to have MP exclusive powers into the SP.

Tbh, I had more fun with the idea being a hybrid rather than a purist soldier, engineer, adept, infiltrator, but that's up to you.

I'd personally say. engineer just because i'm a fan of the combat drone EMP blast, it's an AOE tech primer, that can prime like 8 enemies in a row, that no other electric power can do, and if you asked what about chain overload, overload only primes the 1st target unfortunately.

If you want to use it, my first playthrough I ran, biotic charge (With radius), annihilation field, energy drain (Extended drain) + sentinel profile and the weapon I used was the N7 Piranha. Got me through most of the game pretty easily.

I can say It's gotten better now with less bullet sponge, I can definitely say powers are good enough to be your main damage source, instead of your weapon.

BigBaIIerBrand
2 months ago#9
ChrisHoxaTron posted...
Hold on, are we taking MP or SP here?

Because I'm pretty sure stealth grid ain't in the SP, unless you some how modded your save file to have MP exclusive powers into the SP.

Tbh, I had more fun with the idea being a hybrid rather than a purist soldier, engineer, adept, infiltrator, but that's up to you.

I'd personally say. engineer just because i'm a fan of the combat drone EMP blast, it's an AOE tech primer, that can prime like 8 enemies in a row, that no other electric power can do, and if you asked what about chain overload, overload only primes the 1st target unfortunately.

If you want to use it, my first playthrough I ran, biotic charge (With radius), annihilation field, energy drain (Extended drain) + sentinel profile and the weapon I used was the N7 Piranha. Got me through most of the game pretty easily.

I can say It's gotten better now with less bullet sponge, I can definitely say powers are good enough to be your main damage source, instead of your weapon.

you can get away with that build if it's at the easier difficulties

but at higher difficulties where enemies have more health/do more damage, survivability is the #1 most important thing.

insanity is different than playing on normal mode

User Info: ChrisHoxaTron

ChrisHoxaTron
2 months ago#10
The build I mentioned? It's fine on insanity. Works on insanity + level 132 scaled enemies.

I wouldn't rank it that high, but starting out being new to insanity, I would agree having survivability is useful on Insanity.

It's possible to play insanity + max level scale, and throw survivability out the window but I wouldn't recommend it highly, it's not that fun but I just like the challenge of not using something like energy drain or biotic charge to restore my shields/barrier.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. Debating doing either "Soldier" or "Engineer." (First Time)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived