If you want future Metroid games, buy this.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metroid Prime: Federation Force
  3. If you want future Metroid games, buy this.

User Info: Shah138

Shah138
1 year ago#121
AceMos posted...
WHY no one is asking for mario or link to be retired

why retire the most iconic female bad ass in video games

Because we have games like Luigis Mansion, Captain Toad, and a Wario game or two. In NSMB and 3D World you can play as other characters already if you want to. People have been wanting a game where you play as Zelda for a while now too, and recently a female protagonist. At least in the Zelda series there are multiple Links and the games take place over a really long period of time.
Spectre of Dark Aether

User Info: Lacrymosa143

Lacrymosa143
1 year ago#122
AceMos posted...
Shah138 posted...
Nothing says Samus has to be the protagonist of the Metroid series forever. I think it'd be dumb to replace her without finishing up her situation with the Federation, but after that it might be time to retire her.

They act like there won't be an outrage over this.
3DS FC 3609-2373-4510 Ground: Phanpy, Marowak, Gastrodon

User Info: AceMos

AceMos
1 year ago#123
Shah138 posted...
AceMos posted...

Because we have games like Luigis Mansion, Captain Toad, and a Wario game or two. In NSMB and 3D World you can play as other characters already if you want to. People have been wanting a game where you play as Zelda for a while now too, and recently a female protagonist. At least in the Zelda series there are multiple Links and the games take place over a really long period of time.

mario has loads nad loads of characters and he still gets to star in many games him self you can bet your ass if nintendo said mario would never star in another game again there would be out rage

on the subject of link there was a massive fight over the idea of a gender option for him and nitnedo said it would be wrong to have zelda be playable in a zelda game cus then link would have nothing to do (yet samus having nothing to do in a metroid game is A OK)

metorid has very few characters and now people want of fully shove samus out of the series

can you really not see the difference here
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*

User Info: GameplayZero

GameplayZero
1 year ago#124
AceMos posted...
GameplayZero posted...
SmokedChili posted...

I'm not saying that I haven't paid attention, I'm just saying that you have creative imagination. While Samus did have some personality in previous games, it was still pretty minimal.

Minimal? Perhaps initially, though it was elaborated on in Fusion and Zero mission.

Also, if you could not pick up her personality in the prime games through her body language, I fail to see how you function day to day in society.

body language is an absolute horrible Guage of personality. Mario has a lot of body language too in his games. A reaction =/= personality.

show dont tell is the number 1 rule of story telling and its how metroid tells its stories so yes body language is a good way to learn about a character

that's not my point. You can't determine someone's full personality by body language alone.

That argument is at its strongest with games that dont have a lot of story to begin with. Lets look at luigi who CONSTANTLY shows body language and emotion in his games. The story of luigi's mansion is pretty simple. But in most instances we can see luigi is conquering his fears to prove he can be as brave as mario and is a very silly character in some of the mario games. That's where my argument fails. The personality comes from the characters exaggerated experessions. Same could be said with wario. A greedy a****** who is only in it for money and will do anything to win. He will do the right thing for the wrong reasons and you can tell how he is only based on how he presents himself.

samus is a different story. Besides other M, she doesn't express herself a lot through the game. Doesn't mean she isn't expressive, but she really doesn't present herself that much. She is somewhat one dimensional through most games like majority of the Nintendo cast. Better than Link or Mario, but that doesn't say much.

AceMos
1 year ago#125
GameplayZero posted...
samus is a different story. Besides other M, she doesn't express herself a lot through the game. Doesn't mean she isn't expressive, but she really doesn't present herself that much. She is somewhat one dimensional through most games like majority of the Nintendo cast. Better than Link or Mario, but that doesn't say much.

i listed a bunch of examples of her showing personality through actions
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*

Shah138
1 year ago#126
AceMos posted...
mario has loads nad loads of characters and he still gets to star in many games him self you can bet your ass if nintendo said mario would never star in another game again there would be out rage

on the subject of link there was a massive fight over the idea of a gender option for him and nitnedo said it would be wrong to have zelda be playable in a zelda game cus then link would have nothing to do (yet samus having nothing to do in a metroid game is A OK)

metorid has very few characters and now people want of fully shove samus out of the series

can you really not see the difference here

The difference is that Mario doesn't have much of an ongoing story so you can keep using him over and over again in whatever random scenario you want and it would work. Removing Mario for no reason would be stupid. For Zelda again you can come up with many scenarios since the timeline is all over the place. I think it'd be dumb to not use Zelda because "Link would have nothing to do". And again, again there are many different Links so they each have their own story.

The difference with Samus is that she's just one person, and she has a very strict story that's quickly going nowhere. By the second game the goal was to kill off the thing the series was named after, forcing Nintendo to make a bunch of prequels and rehashed reasons on why Metroids would show up again, and then they go off and kill all their antagonists. The Metroids are gone, the X are gone, the Pirates are gone, the Ing are gone, Phazon is gone. All that's left is the Federation which Samus gets most of her missions from and she's ad odds with them. Lets say they wrap up her story with them. Now what? They'd have to come up with a completely random threat to kill with no foreshadowing and it would feel forced just to have Samus do something again. At best if they don't use Sylux again for another game before Metroid 2 and he were to show up in a game after Fusion then what kind of storyline would that involve? Would it be a race against Sylux to get some random item that's a threat to the galaxy? Has Sylux amassed an army of something completely random thats a threat to the galaxy? With a new protagonist you could come up with different scenarios since this person could be accustomed to different missions. I mean fine, you don't even have to shove Samus out of the series completely. I'd be fine with a reboot too.
Spectre of Dark Aether

AceMos
1 year ago#127
there are always ways to bring the metroids back and the metroids are not the only threat in the universe anyways

the space pirates can and have found other ways to be a threat

the on going narrative is samus's goal to bring peace to the universe

it would not even be hard to bring phazon back just say a seed survived in a pocket dimension boom there ya go

its no different than what comic books do or doctor who and how it can bring back its antagonists over and over while still bringing in new ones

User Info: GameplayZero

GameplayZero
1 year ago#128
AceMos posted...
GameplayZero posted...

i listed a bunch of examples of her showing personality through actions

I read awhile ago so my memory might be fuzzy, but

what you listed didn't really show that samus was still didn't have a lot of personality. Having "some" still doesn't make a charaster expressive and I think a few you interpreted rather than what it possibly could have been. Most of those examples didn't really hit home but I'll have to read again.

AceMos
1 year ago#129
you just listed luigi being cowardly with his body language i gave samus doing more than 1 trait with her body action's

Shah138
1 year ago#130
AceMos posted...
there are always ways to bring the metroids back and the metroids are not the only threat in the universe anyways

the space pirates can and have found other ways to be a threat

the on going narrative is samus's goal to bring peace to the universe

it would not even be hard to bring phazon back just say a seed survived in a pocket dimension boom there ya go

its no different than what comic books do or doctor who and how it can bring back its antagonists over and over while still bringing in new ones

Except those are all really dumb. The Metroids were mostly killed off and now they're rehashing the same story to bring them back. The Pirates are dead and forgotten. It would be dumb to bring Phazon back even though it's explicitly said that it's all gone. I think it's dumb in comic books when they kill off something or someone just to reverse it by some really dumb manner. Have the balls to do it permanently or for a really really long time or don't kill them at all. For example, Bucky Barnes wasn't seen until 2005, with his last appearance being in 1948.
Spectre of Dark Aether
  1. Boards
  2. Metroid Prime: Federation Force
  3. If you want future Metroid games, buy this.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived