Apparently this game is a sequel. Can i play this game without playing the first

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NieR: Automata
  3. Apparently this game is a sequel. Can i play this game without playing the first

User Info: QuetzacoatL1000

QuetzacoatL1000
10 months ago#1
Can i play this game without playing the first one, or will i be completely lost? Thanks in advance!
LoL Summoner: Ghost Ghost (NA)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/TheTyrant-1427/hero/79071372

User Info: DrachenBaren

DrachenBaren
10 months ago#2
They're almost entirely separate stroies. You'll miss out on a few references, but nothing super plot heavy.
Formerly DWX131415. Updated Username with merger.
My phone hates me, so forgive some typos. I've mostly given up fighting it.

User Info: QuetzacoatL1000

QuetzacoatL1000
10 months ago#3
DrachenBaren posted...
They're almost entirely separate stroies. You'll miss out on a few references, but nothing super plot heavy.

Alright cool. Thanks DrachenBaren, you're a good man!
LoL Summoner: Ghost Ghost (NA)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/TheTyrant-1427/hero/79071372

User Info: digitalwill2000

digitalwill2000
10 months ago#4
Its a sequel to a joke ending of a spin off of a 'what if' universe....right?
"Look at all these idiots in stream chat! They are accusing me of reading the stream chat, I never read it!" - DSP, reading the stream chat.

User Info: Modesta

Modesta
10 months ago#5
Saito and Yoko's stated that you can get the big picture of previous Nier without the need to play the first Nier and 3 Drakengards.But he also said feel free to play the previous game,but you might be confused (half right and half trolling from him).

User Info: otakuakujin82

otakuakujin82
10 months ago#6
digitalwill2000 posted...
Its a sequel to a joke ending of a spin off of a 'what if' universe....right?

Its a spinoff of the joke ending to Drakengard.
This is my Signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User Info: Eorzat

Eorzat
10 months ago#7
People constantly say that you don't need to play the first game in order to play this one, but I think that's super misleading. You may not need to actively play the first game, but you should at least know the story, lore, and characters from the first game. Automata's "big reveal" towards the end will be much more confusing if you don't know what happened in the first Nier since they don't explain everything.

User Info: qwertyMrJINX

qwertyMrJINX
10 months ago#8
Not really, this is without a doubt the least newcomer-friendly game in the series. I'd say start with Nier or Drakengard 3.
"Wise men choose death before war, Wiser men choose not to be born," - Angel

User Info: LocalPine

LocalPine
10 months ago#9
No please do NOT play this game if you are just a bandwagon hopping Platinum fanboy. This game was made for Nier fans, not casual trend-riders who want to play a game they have absolutely no freaking clue about just because it's popular.

Nier Automata's fanbase has gone downhill since people like you started coming on board.

User Info: DJ_0000

DJ_0000
10 months ago#10
I didn't play the first one before this but I found most of it was fine to follow except a handful of things I had to look up, you should be fine understanding the general themes of the game which is the most important thing. I am tempted to see if I can find a copy of the first game now though.
Eyes roll back betrayed by fate yet again
https://youtu.be/pOGlm646WAY
  1. Boards
  2. NieR: Automata
  3. Apparently this game is a sequel. Can i play this game without playing the first

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived