Taro Yoko: Great Concepts, Bad Writing

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. NieR: Automata
  3. Taro Yoko: Great Concepts, Bad Writing

User Info: Banjo2553

Banjo2553
8 months ago#11
islandstartv posted...
This is an action game with rpg elements not an action-based rpg like nier
Name some games you think have good wrting lmao, I bet there interactive movies with s*** gameplay like last of Us and uncharted

Are we still going with that? It's as much an RPG as FFXV is. Just because the combat is a bit more action-oriented doesn't change the base genre it's in.
Game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
Gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwVQm69J7bGScbv3_50C0dA

User Info: islandstartv

islandstartv
8 months ago#12
Banjo2553 posted...
islandstartv posted...
Name some games you think have good wrting lmao, I bet there interactive movies with s*** gameplay like last of Us and uncharted

Are we still going with that? It's as much an RPG as FFXV is. Just because the combat is a bit more action-oriented doesn't change the base genre it's in.

once again the core of the game is an action game not an rpg game

it's not a story driven game like the first Nier was, Final Fantasy XV was more narrative driven than this game

Also there's nothing wrong with the dialogue in this game or the presentation the world is meant to be weird and quirky that's the charm of the game

complaining about the story in this game is like complaining about the story in Castlevania Symphony of the Night, just because you level up equip items, and shop it's suppose to be xenogears lmao

please

User Info: Gh0st_Xer0

Gh0st_Xer0
8 months ago#13
No, I think OP is definitely right on this one. The ideas are lofty and admirable, and I will admit that tying every plot thread into one solid theme was ambitious and actually handled pretty well. It's everything that surrounds that theming that comes out lackluster.

Here's a good example, the characters don't turn out that great. The legitimate best stuff in this game happens in the A route (and to a lesser extent B route but most of it's pretty much the same) when we're allowed to get a feel for the characters mostly through casual conversation. The trouble is that 2B and 9S don't really have traits beyond "2B's a hardened killer with a growing soft side, and 9S likes to study things." A single quirk, mostly one note, but it works because the conversations they have while running from point to point feel natural.

The trouble is that casual dialogue can only do so much. Neither character ever really evolves or shows other traits beyond that and, since side-quests can be done in any order, you never really get a sense of 9S or 2B really overcoming their issue with machines on a more complex level. They just brush it off every time it comes up, and either treat machines as equals, or as emotionless robots whenever the mood suits them. Aside from one running thread where 2B slowly grows more attached to 9S and uses his nickname, the characters don't really DO much in terms of growth or even really meaningful interaction with the world beyond "Huh that sure was a thing that just happened" every time you finish a quest. Alright personalities, not great character writing.

All of this belies just the complete wastes of plot elements EVERYWHERE. Adam and Eve are complete wastes of time that don't feel like they had almost any impact on the game or its message (besides beating existentialist philosophy's point into our heads YET AGAIN), Characters with a lot of potential that almost could have been removed entirely from the plot without anyone noticing., A2 had a lot of mystery built up around her, but turned out to be one of the most boring characters in the game. Another victim of tragedy (which in this world I mean, get in line), her only motive is to kill all machines. At least the audience is given proper buildup to care about 9S' genocidal rampage, and having her be influenced by 2B's memories the whole time wastes what little opportunity there was of her character standing on its own. Her whole highlight is backsassing the Pod, which 9S does a lot better later on anyways

I mean I could go on all day, but more or less, the overall plot is a real mess at best; crucial details are flat out missing like the audience is expected to forget, half the plot points exist for the sole purpose of causing suffering without regard to logic Bunker destruction anyone?, and worst of all maybe the themes the game takes so long to build up don't breathe through their characters Existentialism is all about experiencing a crisis of the meaning of one's existence in the absence of a greater innate purpose, AND THEN OVERCOMING that crisis by finding your own answer. Every major character in this game falls victim to the crisis and rather than come up with an answer, succumbs to a form of madness or nihilism (with the SOLE exception of 2B, who dies before she can even EXPERIENCE a moment of real existential loss first.) Only in Ending E are we TOLD the message of the game, without the characters actually illustrating that message themselves.

tl;dr,
no, the writing's not great. As a basic story, it falls short by having predictable twists and a pretty fragmented and substanceless narrative, as an art piece it falls short by reading like an intro philosophy class while not offering anything really novel. The ideas are great, the writing just isn't really.

User Info: ZechtAurion

ZechtAurion
8 months ago#14
Neither character ever really evolves or shows other traits beyond that

hmm...

At least the audience is given proper buildup to care about 9S' genocidal rampage

Right...
PSN: AlujaZeromus | WiiU: Aluja

User Info: Gh0st_Xer0

Gh0st_Xer0
8 months ago#15
ZechtAurion posted...
Neither character ever really evolves or shows other traits beyond that

hmm...

At least the audience is given proper buildup to care about 9S' genocidal rampage

Right...

I meant in Route A and B specifically. 9S' descent into madness is one of the best handled character bits in the whole game, and the problem is it comes so late into the game when all the super drama is kicked up to 1000 that it honestly loses a decent amount of its punch. Also, minus points that he completely crumples in the face of his struggle, rather than being able to overcome it by the end. He never really goes through phases or resists at all, it's just a headlong tumble into the abyss from word go. Some bonus points for the subtlety of its onset post-tragedy though!

User Info: ZechtAurion

ZechtAurion
8 months ago#16
So your issue is a non-issue, gotcha fam.
PSN: AlujaZeromus | WiiU: Aluja

User Info: aton_ra

aton_ra
8 months ago#17
I disagree with the tc, but I have no interest in doing a big writeup.
"Come join with me ye gentles all, and crouch behind yon chest high wall" ~Yahtzee

User Info: souldiver84

souldiver84
8 months ago#18
I disagree, no doubt there's many game with good plot but rather lengthly game to get u into mood, yet nier automata is short but able to contribute the emotion in merely 10-30hours of game play, not every game can achieve that, it's short due to budget no doubt, but fair enough to convey the message without relying too much on fancy cutscene or unnecessary gameplay

User Info: Server_X

Server_X
8 months ago#19
The weird thing is, for some reason, after learning most of the characters fates, I didnt really care about them too much. The androids dont have too much backstory except for A2 and maybe 2b if you learn about what she really is at the end of the game. Strangely, the characters I cared about most in this game were actually Emil, Pascal and maybe 9S. I think though the biggest fault here is budget, because if we got to play A2s past and watch the past of popola and devola instead of having to look at documents and read visual novels then the story would have a lot more impact. This is the same trap that befell MGSV unfortunately.
MPO tag: Crimsonzero/Founder of S.T.F.U

User Info: penaferus11

penaferus11
8 months ago#20
islandstartv posted...

The original NieR had great writing. Drakengard had great writing. Mother 3 had great writing. Panzer Dragoon Saga had great writing. Suikoden II had great writing.

NieR Automata was mediocre.
  1. Boards
  2. NieR: Automata
  3. Taro Yoko: Great Concepts, Bad Writing

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived