"Just started", tips?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. "Just started", tips?

User Info: Rhyten

Rhyten
2 months ago#1
I started when the game came out, but only played very occasionally due to my area having no pokestops.
I just reached level 19, which is not that bad. I'm close to having enough Pidgeys and Weedles to go on a mass evolution spree with my first lucky egg.

Questions:
- Is it worth waiting for an extra xp event to mass evolve? I know one just ended, not sure how common they are.

- I don't have a lot of variety of good pokemon yet, how can I know if one is worth training? Is there like, a list of good pokemon and movesets?

- Should I just use my incenses and lures at random, or are there "sweet spots"? I know incenses are better if you move rather than standing in a spot.

- What is the best use of coins? Bag upgrade or Pokemon storage upgrade? Does the cost increase with every purchase or do they stay the same?

Feel free to add more, and thank you in advance for helping!
Antec Neo Eco 620w | Asrock Z77 Extreme 4-M | i5 2500k 3.3Ghz | Nvidia Gtx 680 2048MB | 8 GB DDR 3 1333Mhz | HP 2011x 20" 1600x900
3DS FC: 4313 1109 4662

User Info: LegitPlaymaker

LegitPlaymaker
2 months ago#2
Rhyten posted...
I started when the game came out, but only played very occasionally due to my area having no pokestops.

Don't play Pokemon Go, pokestops/gyms is the most important thing in this game.
You cannot get anything if no pokestops/gym

User Info: Rhyten

Rhyten
2 months ago#3
LegitPlaymaker posted...
Rhyten posted...

I forgot to add that I can actually play now that I'm in a better area :p
Antec Neo Eco 620w | Asrock Z77 Extreme 4-M | i5 2500k 3.3Ghz | Nvidia Gtx 680 2048MB | 8 GB DDR 3 1333Mhz | HP 2011x 20" 1600x900
3DS FC: 4313 1109 4662

User Info: AnyNamesLeft1

AnyNamesLeft1
2 months ago#4
Rhyten posted...
I just reached level 19, which is not that bad. I'm close to having enough Pidgeys and Weedles to go on a mass evolution spree with my first lucky egg.

Questions:
- Is it worth waiting for an extra xp event to mass evolve? I know one just ended, not sure how common they are.

- I don't have a lot of variety of good pokemon yet, how can I know if one is worth training? Is there like, a list of good pokemon and movesets?

- Should I just use my incenses and lures at random, or are there "sweet spots"? I know incenses are better if you move rather than standing in a spot.

- What is the best use of coins? Bag upgrade or Pokemon storage upgrade? Does the cost increase with every purchase or do they stay the same?

1. People will say yes as you can get 4x experience with a lucky egg.
I personally find mass evolving 70+ pokemon to be extremely boring just hold onto high iv pokemon until my storage is near full and evolve those...I guess The takeaway is try out a mass evo session and see if its for you. If it isn't then just play for fun

2. Nothing that isnt 100% iv is worth training up at your level. Wild pokemon cap at level 30 and with stardust almost non existent, the investment from 20-30 is way too great...
I guess the take away here is as soon as you waste your candy and dust powering a pokemon to level 19, you'll level up and catch a level 20 version of the same Mon...then you'll hit level 21 and...

3. Lures are trash and will spawn trash. In sense are useful if you feel like spawning/catching pokemon at speeds above 20mph...
supposedly if you are lucky enough to be somewhere with no spawn points near then the selection the insense pulls from becomes greater and you can spawn rare pokemon.

4. I feel the most useful use of coins is bag space for convenience... The cost is always the same for every additional 50 spaces.
But the best investment is in incubators due to the fact that during an event you'll get double something (exp, candy, dust, or all 3) from all the 10k eggs you collect....
Outside of snorlax, larvitar, lapras, chansey and dratini, the 10k eggs are duds. I got lucky last event and hatched 3 larvitar and a chansey,, but more commonly I'll get one good hatch and a ton of garbage, however I feel that the double stardust and or experience made all my miltanks and manteens and whatever other trash I transferred worth hatching.
https://amomentinmymindblog.wordpress.com

User Info: AnyNamesLeft1

AnyNamesLeft1
2 months ago#5
LegitPlaymaker posted...
Rhyten posted...

Wow...just wow...
https://amomentinmymindblog.wordpress.com

User Info: George Trevor

George Trevor
2 months ago#6
Keep saving pidgey, weedle, rattata and caterpie candy and keep a bunch of them ready to evolve at all times and wait for double xp, then use a lucky egg and start catching pokes while evolving in between catches. If you have a ****load of them however, then only mass evolve without catching in between.

I went from lvl 37 to lvl 38 during last event this way.

Use blue incubators only on 10km, if you are planning to buy them, then you can also use them on 5km. Never use them on 2km eggs unless there is a special 2km eggs event going on.

If you are not planning to do any raids, only power up an evolved pokemon when it has a very good moveset. Don't power up before evolving.

If you are planning to do raids, you can get tm's to correct the moveset though.
A communication error has occurred.

User Info: spoofrice11

spoofrice11
2 months ago#7
1 - If you have enough Pokemon to evolve, then use your Lucky Egg. Leveling up as much as you can until you are a decent level is important. You might be waiting months for a double Exp event and could have been catching higher Pokemon by then. - Also, you get 2 more Lucky eggs at Lv 20.

2 - Mostly you should save your Stardust for now. If you have a strong Pokemon close to Lv 20 with good IVs you could power it up (I know most people did some) and I don't regret doing a couple of my best (Vaporeon & Solarggutor) because I needed them for Gym Battles.

3 - Incense & Lures don't do a lot. If you are bored in a place not spawing anything, you could see a Pokemon every 5 minutes (or more if going close to 10 mph). If in a deadzone it'll spawn Random Pokemon.

4 - I like Incubators best because you get Pokemon you normally don't find plus Stardust. But you will probably need some Bag/Pokemon upgrades some as well.

User Info: RoyalDroneX

RoyalDroneX
2 months ago#8
Rhyten posted...

Questions:

You don't have to wait for a double XP event, though it's advised for the 4x bonus with Lucky Egg

Mostly the biggest common are pokemon good for raiding, or gym fights/defense. There are places that can give you but I can at least name three: Golem, Eeveelutions and Eggecutor. Best tip is to use the most commonly used as a checklist to gun (and also look for nests in your area)

I would strongly save your lures/Incense for those "sweet spots" called Nests. Those areas are where you can find the most pokemon in one area.

As everyone suggests, it's mostly incubators, but the priority (for me) goes like this
Incubator>Incense/Lucky Egg>Bag/Storage>Pokeball/Potions
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9017-6003 DC:5400-2358-7574 NID:TheChoujinVirus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQScjlXbBE #torentialdownpour in a nutshell

User Info: DORA

DORA
2 months ago#9
RoyalDroneX posted...
Rhyten posted...

Questions:

You don't have to wait for a double XP event, though it's advised for the 4x bonus with Lucky Egg

Mostly the biggest common are pokemon good for raiding, or gym fights/defense. There are places that can give you but I can at least name three: Golem, Eeveelutions and Eggecutor. Best tip is to use the most commonly used as a checklist to gun (and also look for nests in your area)

I would strongly save your lures/Incense for those "sweet spots" called Nests. Those areas are where you can find the most pokemon in one area.

As everyone suggests, it's mostly incubators, but the priority (for me) goes like this
Incubator>Incense/Lucky Egg>Bag/Storage>Pokeball/Potions

Lures and Incense have no special effects in nests. You don't get the nest Pokemon from them.

Incense is also pretty worthless, only useful if in a biome you don't normally see.
https://www.mytrainerrewards.com/app/referral/DcbkNMnT4BgSSiNNQ
Sign up today for Sprints + Niantics MyTrainerRewards to earn free PokeCoins (must be from USA)

User Info: CodexCore

CodexCore
2 months ago#10
When there's a double exp event go to a new area where you haven't touch any of the pokestop yet and use lucky egg + first time spin bonus. Last event was 1000xp per new pokestop.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon GO
  3. "Just started", tips?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived