The story is really... lazy.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh
  3. The story is really... lazy.

User Info: 3headed

3headed
6 months ago#1
I like the combat a lot... but the story feels like a kindergartner who found out about samurai and anime recently is making it up as they go along.

Really bad writing and almost nonsensical character motivations.

I get that it's supposed to be fantasy... but damn. I've read fanfictions with more substance than this.
I make absurd posts because I find it entertaining. Take from them what you will. Just keep in mind that they are purposefully absurd :P

User Info: overmaxx

overmaxx
6 months ago#2
It's pretending it can be carried by Japanese history references alone.
http://i.imgur.com/QKjqNui.jpg
NNID: DavidG7, my Mario Maker levels: http://pastebin.com/MgfZJ3FF

User Info: DragonLord150

DragonLord150
6 months ago#3
overmaxx posted...

It also can. If you know the history you know what is happening and if not it is way too much to tell someone in clip it. SAMURAI WARRIORS does it all in about 3 hours a part so yeah. Play SW4 and come back and you should enjoy it more knowing what it is going on. ^_^
"Remember: a team of hunters is only as good as the guy you can kill three times." -mazereon

3headed
6 months ago#4
overmaxx posted...

Yeah, I get that. And while it is novel... I'm not well versed in Japanese folklore enough to get excited like in the God Of War series.

Again, great combat... but wow... I can see why people quit out mid way through. The combat alone may be satisfying but without an engaging story, it really is just a mindless hack and slash.

BB had virtually no story direction and I was compelled enough to read long theories, discussions, and participate myself. Nioh? Meh... bland characters and nonsensical story (even in fantasy).
I make absurd posts because I find it entertaining. Take from them what you will. Just keep in mind that they are purposefully absurd :P

User Info: DatPlatBoy

DatPlatBoy
6 months ago#5
Damn, I know more about Dynasty Warriors than I do Samurai Warriors. Totally burnt on that s*** unless they go really change it up a bit.
PSN: AzNFoLk
Wait....What happened?

User Info: overmaxx

overmaxx
6 months ago#6
3headed posted...
overmaxx posted...

Yeah, I get that. And while it is novel... I'm not well versed in Japanese folklore enough to get excited like in the God Of War series.

Again, great combat... but wow... I can see why people quit out mid way through. The combat alone may be satisfying but without an engaging story, it really is just a mindless hack and slash.

BB had virtually no story direction and I was compelled enough to read long theories, discussions, and participate myself. Nioh? Meh... bland characters and nonsensical story (even in fantasy).

Bloodborne is just a masterpiece of world building and video game storytelling, you can't even begin to compare Nioh to it.
Pisses me off sometimes when people say Souls/Bloodborne "has no story", but they think nonsensical strings of non-interactive cutscenes with no depth are more of a story despite lacking any meaning or real development.

Bloodborne lore kept me up at night, the game got to my imagination like few others.
http://i.imgur.com/QKjqNui.jpg
NNID: DavidG7, my Mario Maker levels: http://pastebin.com/MgfZJ3FF

3headed
6 months ago#7
DragonLord150 posted...
overmaxx posted...

It also can. If you know the history you know what is happening and if not it is way too much to tell someone in clip it. SAMURAI WARRIORS does it all in about 3 hours a part so yeah. Play SW4 and come back and you should enjoy it more knowing what it is going on. ^_^

I've researched enough of the period history from playing Nobunaga's Ambition.

Even with knowledge of the time period in Japan's history... the game's story is nonsensical fantasy BS. They already had magical/fantasy setting on their side... how did they fumble so badly with the implementation.

3headed
6 months ago#8
overmaxx posted...
3headed posted...
overmaxx posted...

Bloodborne is just a masterpiece of world building and video game storytelling, you can't even begin to compare Nioh to it.
Pisses me off sometimes when people say Souls/Bloodborne "has no story", but they think nonsensical strings of non-interactive cutscenes with no depth are more of a story despite lacking any meaning or real development.

Bloodborne lore kept me up at night, the game got to my imagination like few others.

I hear and feel you bro.

User Info: kevinsize97

kevinsize97
6 months ago#9
i started skipping all story scenes after like the third mission. can't be ****** watching that awfulness.

User Info: cryosx

cryosx
6 months ago#10
yeah, they just dump you into one scene to the next without really connecting them well. If there's something they need to really improve in the next game, it's how they tell/present the story so that it makes sense
  1. Boards
  2. Nioh
  3. The story is really... lazy.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived