Thinking about getting this, but some questions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Robot Taisen OG: The Moon Dwellers
  3. Thinking about getting this, but some questions

User Info: jonnovision1

jonnovision1
1 year ago#21
maybe amazon.com is different, but through .ca I've never had an issue.
3DS FC: 3695 - 0270 - 7045, playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate mostly.

User Info: greeeed

greeeed
1 year ago#22
OracleGunner posted...
NettoSaito posted...
Ok then... So what if I read the manga adaptation of OG1, and speed read the script of OG2? Anything else I'd be missing?

Dark Prison and OG 2nd.

2nd OG already been translating
http://2ndsrwoge.com/

User Info: NettoSaito

NettoSaito
1 year ago#23
Wait are 2nd OG and OG2 different? Really getting a bit confused here on what's all a part of this series. Are the main crossover SRW games also a part of the OG storyline? Also why is Haken in this game, and exactly where does it fit into the timeline? When I looked it up, I just came across information stating its a retelling or something of SRW J on the gba.... Which has confused me even more lol.
PSN/XBL/NN - NettoSaito | 3DS - [1203-9218-7780]
Netto's Game Room - Reviews and what not - http://www.nettosgameroom.com

User Info: BassGSnewtype

BassGSnewtype
1 year ago#24
OG 1 and 2 are treated as 1st OG parts 1 and 2 but maintain their episode numbers.
For Canada and
*SPLAT!!!*

User Info: jonnovision1

jonnovision1
1 year ago#25
2nd OGs is the first one for PS3, OG2 is the second GBA one, later remade and packaged with OG1's remake on PS2

it's the only reason we call 2nd OGs 2nd OGs instead of just OG2
3DS FC: 3695 - 0270 - 7045, playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate mostly.

User Info: RetsuxD

RetsuxD
1 year ago#26
OG, Z, Alpha, and the classic series are the only mainline series that follow a continuity, everything else is a stand-alone, self contained game (OR THREE STAND-ALONE SELFCONTAINED GAMES IF YOU'RE COMPACT 2).

OG seres is composed by the original characters from other mainline series and the stand-alone games.
OG1 and OG2 began the series but were then retconned by their 2007 remake Original Generations (OGs) which contained both games and designated OG1 as Episode 1: Divine Wars, and OG2 as Episode 2: The Inspector.
It also contained Episode 2.5: Unified Wisdom, which was expanded upon in OGG.

Now, 2nd OG (also called OG II or 2nd OGs) uses the traditional naming scheme the series uses for numbered entries ("The Second/Third/whatever X game" instead of "game 2/3/whatever"), and goes after both OGs and OGG give it's Episode 3: The Gaia Sabers (yes, what's technically the 4th or 5th game in the series is treated as Episode 3, while being named the 2nd game, don't think about it too much).
Dark Prison happens concurrently to OG2nd, except for the finale which takes maybe a couple of hours after OG2nd's.

And before moving to the current game, there's also the OG Saga series of games, which are spinoffs that the games' canon account for.
The first would be Endless Frontier, where the first game takes place roughly in the same period as OG2 (not 2nd OG), the sequel, Exceed, takes place shortly after OGG.
Project x Zone isn't part of OG Saga, but it's treated as part of the canon and takes place shortly after 2nd OG.

Then there's the Masoukishin sub-series, which was originally just a spin-off to the classic series (was even called SRW Gaiden) until its 2010 remake.
The first part of the first game takes place some time before the early stages of OG1, but everything else (as in, the rest of the first game and the 3 following sequels) ALL take place before MD.

And then you finally reach MD (oh gosh it's the current game), which is treated as Episode 4: The Moon Dwellers (title drop!), and also drops the numbering, which to begin with doesn't sound like something they were too focused on considering how only one of the games was numbered, or if you still count OG1 and OG2 in OGs as 2 separate games, you end up with 2 games with the same numbering and that's silly.

In any case, OGMD here uses SRW J and GC's plot to build up the game (and some SD The Great Battle II, SD The Great Battle was a series of platformers/beat-em-ups that had like 5 games on the SNES and I believe a 6th one on the PS1, and they ALL happen at some point before OG1, probably), much like how 2nd OG used D and MX, OGG used Compact 3 and R, OG2 used Impact and A, and OG1 used 2 and Alpha.

I think that covers everything.
TL;DR
Timeline goes as follow I believe
Lord of Elemental part 1 (Masoukishin 1) = entire Great Battle series -> OG1-> OG2 = Endless Frontier -> OGG -> EF Exceed -> OG2nd = Dark Prison -> LoE part 2 and the rest of MK = PxZ -> OGMD
Not sure I missed anything here.
Oh, yeah.
There's the anime, SRW OG The Animation which was later adapted as the first part of Episode 2.5 in the games, and builds up from GBA OG2's ending.
Divine Wars and The Inspector also follow their own shared continuity so they can't sub as replacements for playing the game.
Same for the Record of ATX manga, which is STILL not done covering OG2.

Oh, right, there's also the FDX team novels but I don't really know much about that other than the fact that they span all the way from OG1 up til now, sorta.

NettoSaito
1 year ago#27
Oh wow, thanks a lot for the info. Hmmm so it's a lot to cover and I won't be able to hit it all, but I could easily go through EF (assuming I can get it to work), and at least cover part 1 of it as well as PxZ 1 and 2 (which I also own). I get that it's it's own thing and won't matter, but it's still something.

As for OG1 and 2... I may just have to risk it and try Amazon.

Really though thanks for the info, it'll help a lot in the future I'm sure (and I'm sure it'll help others as well). I did hear that MD does contain some sort of summary and index so I may just read through that and then go back and start filling things in to get an even better understanding

User Info: KaelAltreul

KaelAltreul
1 year ago#28
You can also just play it as you are. The many names and terms show up as glossary entries you can hit square and read up about. Even though I know the events from playing the games it is nice to check out now and then.

NettoSaito
1 year ago#29
KaelAltreul posted...
You can also just play it as you are. The many names and terms show up as glossary entries you can hit square and read up about. Even though I know the events from playing the games it is nice to check out now and then.

Which is actually how I played GG Xrd. Was a big fan of BB from the get go, and when they released Xrd I made the jump into GG as well. Played trough Sign, read everything I could, then went back to the older games and read summaries of the novels to catch back up. It worked out pretty well, and if I can do the same here that'll be great!

User Info: Shui Gor

Shui Gor
1 year ago#30
NettoSaito posted...
KaelAltreul posted...

Which is actually how I played GG Xrd. Was a big fan of BB from the get go, and when they released Xrd I made the jump into GG as well. Played trough Sign, read everything I could, then went back to the older games and read summaries of the novels to catch back up. It worked out pretty well, and if I can do the same here that'll be great!

well....provided the encyclopedia entries are accurate, anyways
"I just wanted to let you see the world as I see it: giggling in a corner and bleeding." - Emperor Joker
  1. Boards
  2. Super Robot Taisen OG: The Moon Dwellers
  3. Thinking about getting this, but some questions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived