The Switch looks like a jack of all trades...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. The Switch looks like a jack of all trades...

User Info: NicknameMy

NicknameMy
1 year ago#51
Cyber Akuma Zero posted...
AndreLeGeant posted...
Using carts means it doesn't need as much RAM anyway

No, no it doesn't, that's not how modern carts work. All they are nowadays are just another storage medium, no different than if it used optical disks.

and an efficient OS will increase how much is available

So somehow Nintendo will magically make an "efficient os" that uses literally a gig or two less memory than their competition, but their competition can't?

Microsoft using Windows as OS...

User Info: Cyber Akuma Zero

Cyber Akuma Zero
1 year ago#52
NicknameMy posted...
Microsoft using Windows as OS...

No, they are using the KERNEL. Big difference.

Also, making an OS from scratch is a big big BIG hurdle, especially if you aren't knowledgeable in making an OS (The Wii essentially didn't even really have one), that is why 99% of products not made by MS that run a OS use a Linux kernel.

I find it hard to believe the Switch will have it's own unique OS coded from scratch, and if it does, that it will not be a mess compared to Linux-based embedded OSes. Hell, the WiiU actually runs on a heavily modified version of Android.
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
1 year ago#53
1. With flash cartridges, it allows for streaming of assets and textures due to it's speed. Combine this with compression by the developers as well as Nvidia's delta color compression technique, reliance on speed and quantity of ram is not big deal as people make them out to be.

2. Yes actually. The alternatives allow you to run apps like netflix in the background, broadcast games, etc. Nintendo may go to a more restricted os.

Regarding power, the switch reaching Xbone level power isn't impossible, and can be easily done without too much increase in cost and temperature. However PS4 teritory is a bit tricky and very unlikely.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.

User Info: AndreLeGeant

AndreLeGeant
1 year ago#54
It doesn't matter though because everything has to meet X1 level to be competitive. Plus the more "on metal" the Switch is, the more power it can get out of the machine.
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I am your sXe hero.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous

User Info: Cyber Akuma Zero

Cyber Akuma Zero
1 year ago#55
Shacky_101 posted...
1. With flash cartridges, it allows for streaming of assets and textures due to it's speed.

News flash, optical games have been doing this since the PS1 era.

Combine this with compression

Compression compression compression. I love how people toss that word around all the time as if it's some magic answer to everything. Want to know how someone doesn't know what they are talking about? See if they argue about compression being some kind of magic solution to ANYTHING that the competition can't do.

You realize compression would increase loadtimes, not reduce them, yes? The issue with compressed data is that you have to UNCompress it in order to use it, and the higher compressed something is, both the more CPU power AND RAM you need to uncompress it.

On top of that, the types of media that take up the most space, such as video and audio, compress the worst unless you use lossy compression. And the issue with lossy compression is that the more you compress it, the worse it looks.

reliance on speed and quantity of ram is not big deal as people make them out to be

Unfortunately, it actually IS a very big deal for anyone that knows anything about how computers actually work.

Yes actually. The alternatives allow you to run apps like netflix in the background, broadcast games, etc. Nintendo may go to a more restricted os.

That was gibberish, no seriously, that was completely and utterly gibberish.

Consoles don't even "run apps in the background" so much as they suspend apps and pretty much run one at a time. There is no way a game can predict how much RAM it will have available for it if it worked like a PC with multiple apps running at once, they know they have a certain amount of RAM that will be available to themselves no matter what.

You really don't understand how this works.

Regarding power, the switch reaching Xbone level power isn't impossible

It reaching Xbox One levels if power, in a tablet-sized battery-powered format, and costing as much as an Xbox One or less WHILE being sold at a profit?

I am afraid that, yes, that is very much impossible.

and can be easily done without too much increase in cost and temperature

No, no it can't, see above.

However PS4 teritory is a bit tricky and very unlikely.

Why do people keep saying this? "Oh, it can match the Xbox but not the PS4" You realize the two systems are more or less equal in terms of power, right? The difference in power between the PS4 and Xbox One is practically nonexistent.
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
1 year ago#56
1. Cartridges can do it better

2. Ok no compression needed. Just rely on Nvidia delta color compression, which is plenty to reduce the ram disparity. The ram isn't only limited to the stock configuration. It can go up to high 60s in terms of speed in gb/s, which is well in the area of the Xbone.

3. Not really. Sure games like witcher rely heavily on it, but no one really expected those games to appear on the switch. In this case of the switch, it's good enough. Worst case scenario is it doesn't run as well as the current consoles, which is way better then not being able to
run at all.

4. It doesn't necessarily have to be "running" in the background, the data could still be stored. If the apps exceeds the ram limit, it'll automatically close it, like a lot of OS do.

5. By your logic, the shield android tv should be a less powerful system then the PS3, 360 and Wii U. It should not be too difficult to match xbone within 100-150mm^2 profile. Instead of 2sm, they could increase it to 3sm. That alone should be on par with Xbone.

6. A 400-500 gflop disparity between the PS4 and Xbone is a lot if you compare it to X1 and P1 standard performance.

This is all in docked performance of course, they can scale down everything in portable mode which is understandable. Nintendo just has to make the system powerful enough, balanced, and easy to make games on. If they get the sales (it seems this time around they'll market the switch), devs will put the extra effort for developing games on the switch
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.

User Info: ArabrockermanX

ArabrockermanX
1 year ago#57
DUBTuner posted...
Mr_Rudd posted...
Well, excuse me for expecting a portable gaming system to follow the norm. Every single other gaming dedicated portable system I know of was like that.

So you did carry the 3DS XL around in your pocket?

Any 3DS in your pocket would be impressive...
The internet, where people come to be a dumbass.

User Info: Linkums

Linkums
1 year ago#58
DUBTuner posted...
Mr_Rudd posted...
Well, excuse me for expecting a portable gaming system to follow the norm. Every single other gaming dedicated portable system I know of was like that.

So you did carry the 3DS XL around in your pocket?

I bought the original 3DS the day the XL was announced for that reason. I'm not into big portables at all.
Hi! I'm the author of What They Call Games. Nice to meet you!
http://whattheycallgames.com

User Info: Snackbait

Snackbait
1 year ago#59
As long microsoft and sony and third party to make 2 version games for og console, x1 power level is enough.
If both of them make exclusive games on pro and scorpio than they gonna get so much backlash from gamers

User Info: Insanekoy0te

Insanekoy0te
1 year ago#60
action1981 posted...
TC seems to be a jack of a whole lotta nothing

lmao
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. The Switch looks like a jack of all trades...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived