RUMOR: Nintendo Switch Uses Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture Instead of Pascal

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. RUMOR: Nintendo Switch Uses Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture Instead of Pascal

User Info: NicknameMy

NicknameMy
1 year ago#111
BTW: Doesn't the PX2 already have pascal architecture in a more or less mobile form?

User Info: Hell_Thrasher

Hell_Thrasher
1 year ago#112
ArabrockermanX posted...
Hell_Thrasher posted...
Why is anyone even humoring this rumor?
It's been downright CONFIRMED by Nvidia themselves to be using, and I quote, "a chip set similar to what our current GeForce video cards run off of".

GeForce runs off of Pascal. Not to mention, going back and using Maxwell would be MORE expensive, and Nintendo wants to spend LESS money on parts. It'll use Pascal. I don't like speaking in definite any more (not since the last time I had egg on my face with the Switch's reveal... egg of which I wore with pride), but a Pascal chip set has been CONFIRMED. Not leaked, not rumored, CONFIRMED.

That statement can also mean Maxwell though ._.

It wouldn't be false, sure I do think Pascal seems more likely due to this being a handheld, but Maxwell isn't exactly a stretch...

It could, but it simply doesn't. It would be more expensive to use, and thus makes it FAR less likely. When you consider that Pascal is not only cheaper, but MORE efficient, it points so far into the direction of Pascal being used, that even assuming it might use Maxwell becomes simply laughable.
"If the anime doesn't make me question if I'm on cocaine, then it's not worth my time" - The greatest human being who ever lived.

User Info: NicknameMy

NicknameMy
1 year ago#113
It could be Maxwell based on 16 nm though, similar efficiency and only lacks in some features of VR while costing less. And Maxwell on 16 nm has no real FLOP difference to Pascal since both are so similar.

Since this is an entirely new configuration it could be considered on par with the top performing gpu's.

User Info: Hell_Thrasher

Hell_Thrasher
1 year ago#114
super_clout posted...
Hell_Thrasher posted...
It's been downright CONFIRMED by Nvidia themselves to be using, and I quote, "a chip set similar to what our current GeForce video cards run off of".

GeForce runs off of Pascal. Not to mention, going back and using Maxwell would be MORE expensive, and Nintendo wants to spend LESS money on parts. It'll use Pascal. I don't like speaking in definite any more (not since the last time I had egg on my face with the Switch's reveal... egg of which I wore with pride), but a Pascal chip set has been CONFIRMED. Not leaked, not rumored, CONFIRMED.

but it's Nintendo they been effen up since 96

Except they effed up within reason.
N64 stuck with cartridges to prevent piracy.
Gamecube went with mini-dvds for the same reason.
Wii was an SD console because the motion controls were expensive to develop, and making an HD console with them at the time would have been too expensive.

Nintendo is all about cutting corners, and costs. This the case where cutting the costs is actually MORE beneficial for them. With Pascal being cheaper, you can bet your ass that that's what they'll go with.
"If the anime doesn't make me question if I'm on cocaine, then it's not worth my time" - The greatest human being who ever lived.

User Info: srt984

srt984
1 year ago#115
NicknameMy posted...
BTW: Doesn't the PX2 already have pascal architecture in a more or less mobile form?

I don't think this can fit in the switch :/

https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/04/nvidia-drive-px2/

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
1 year ago#116
PX2 has a lot of things on it... but it has 2 Pascal tegra chips with extra vram. There's also 2 dedicated gpus that seem to be 3-3.5tflop each.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.

User Info: AndreLeGeant

AndreLeGeant
1 year ago#117
Hell_Thrasher posted...
super_clout posted...
Hell_Thrasher posted...

but it's Nintendo they been effen up since 96

Except they effed up within reason.
N64 stuck with cartridges to prevent piracy.
Gamecube went with mini-dvds for the same reason.
Wii was an SD console because the motion controls were expensive to develop, and making an HD console with them at the time would have been too expensive.

Nintendo is all about cutting corners, and costs. This the case where cutting the costs is actually MORE beneficial for them. With Pascal being cheaper, you can bet your ass that that's what they'll go with.

This. The decisions Nintendo makes that people don't like generally are because of cost efficiency. And I'd add, with Wii, I think Nintendo imagined that Sony and MS would target something equivalent to a mid-level PC (which is what happened this gen), which would have meant something that could run Half-Life 2 and Doom 3. Had that been the case, then the Wii's gap wouldn't have been as much, and back in 2006 one could say that HDTVs weren't ubiquitous. Nintendo didn't expect Sony to release a $600 machine and Microsoft to cram a high end PC into a small form factor, nor did Nintendo expect that generation to last so long. Really, they just miscalculated. Had Nintendo released something like Wii U in 2006 in terms of power, then they wouldn't have needed a new console until 2013 and it would have been a marginal power increase.
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I am your sXe hero.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous

User Info: gamefreakz92

gamefreakz92
1 year ago#118
What is the chip that would ensure better performance and just be all around better for the longevity of this system? Pascal or Maxwell? From what I've read, it seems Pascall is the chip that is desired because it's stronger/better, right?

I'm a layman when it comes to all this tech jargon, so I got lost.

User Info: mooocooow02

mooocooow02
1 year ago#119
gamefreakz92 posted...
What is the chip that would ensure better performance and just be all around better for the longevity of this system? Pascal or Maxwell? From what I've read, it seems Pascall is the chip that is desired because it's stronger/better, right?

You're right but it is also about not overheating and melting the system.
Please understand. I don't want the NX to fail I just assume that it will.

User Info: AndreLeGeant

AndreLeGeant
1 year ago#120
mooocooow02 posted...
gamefreakz92 posted...

You're right but it is also about not overheating and melting the system.

Indeed. Pascal is cooler and needs less power. Maxwell only makes sense if you're just throwing old chips sitting in a warehouse in this thing.
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I am your sXe hero.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. RUMOR: Nintendo Switch Uses Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture Instead of Pascal

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived