So if people are believing the rumor then the Switch is as strong as the Xbox 1?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. So if people are believing the rumor then the Switch is as strong as the Xbox 1?

User Info: PS4Warrior

PS4Warrior
1 year ago#21
davishippo posted...
PS4Warrior posted...
If it's at least as strong as the X1 or stronger that would be good. Switch could be seeing a lot of 3rd party ports if the games sell.

X1 as in Xbox 1? No, it will not. X1 as in Nvidia X1? Absolutely.
Nvidia X1 is still a mordern chip that can handle 3rd party games. A 1080p game on Xbox 1 can be done at 720p. It's when a game that has to be below 1080p for the Xbox 1 is where they will have to start cutting corners for the Switch or go an even lower resolution than 720p. The Switch can also do 1080p but the games will have to be built for it on the Switch just like the Wii U has some games at 1080p itself.

X1 as in Xbox 1.
PS4 - Because it was the next gen console i was the most interested in.
Warrior - Because i usually pick the Warrior class in MMORPGs when i played them.

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
1 year ago#22
davishippo posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
Let's not forget there is a difference in Flops and actual performance between Nvidia and AMD, with Nvidia having similar results at less Flops. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if TFlops becomes the new Mhz, and we all know about the Mhz myth.

Not this again. That is b/c of AMD's horrible drivers on Windows. All consoles use lower level APIs. A good developer using Vulkan or DirectX12 will get better performance out of the higher Flop count GPU. Look no further than Doom.

750ti and 950 with 1.3 & 1.5 tflops respectively outperform PS4 in real world performance. So it indeed does extend towards consoles.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.

User Info: NicknameMy

NicknameMy
1 year ago#23
When 1.3 tflops outperform a PS4...

Yeah, you see how easy it could be for the Switch to beat both consoles?^^

Don't forget NVidia is also creating an API just for the Switch, so the distance could even increase.

User Info: clevermoniker

clevermoniker
1 year ago#24
This thing could easily be as powerful as a ps4 pro, as Pascal mobile gpus are practically on par with their desktop counterparts:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nvidia-pascal-notebook-chips-are-a-game-changer

Yes, the Switch's custom Tegra processor WILL be based on Pascal's architecture:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

User Info: MaYnardJmz

MaYnardJmz
1 year ago#25
Rolfin posted...
It'll be powerful enough for me to enjoy, that much I know

This! Did you guys not see what i saw on Jimmy Fallon? Wow! Pascal/Maxwell i don't care. Whatever Jimmy had i want
Gamertag: MAYNARDJMZ
"I'll keep diggin', til..I..feel....something"

User Info: davishippo

davishippo
1 year ago#26
clevermoniker posted...
This thing could easily be as powerful as a ps4 pro, as Pascal mobile gpus are practically on par with their desktop counterparts:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nvidia-pascal-notebook-chips-are-a-game-changer

Yes, the Switch's custom Tegra processor WILL be based on Pascal's architecture:

$599 Confirmed!
Bell Maiden is my waifu.

User Info: faizan_faizan

faizan_faizan
1 year ago#27
Shacky_101 posted...
davishippo posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
Let's not forget there is a difference in Flops and actual performance between Nvidia and AMD, with Nvidia having similar results at less Flops. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if TFlops becomes the new Mhz, and we all know about the Mhz myth.

Not this again. That is b/c of AMD's horrible drivers on Windows. All consoles use lower level APIs. A good developer using Vulkan or DirectX12 will get better performance out of the higher Flop count GPU. Look no further than Doom.

750ti and 950 with 1.3 & 1.5 tflops respectively outperform PS4 in real world performance. So it indeed does extend towards consoles.

Pretty sure that's not true for the newer titles. Also don't forget the major performance crippling factor of the PS4, it's CPU. The only conceivable way the 750 Ti would be outperforming the PS4 at normal clocks would be if the game was taking a toll on the PS4's CPU. Because the architectural differences between GCN and Maxwell are accounted for about 200 GFLOPS if you compare the GPUs objectively, without other factors like the CPU.
Allergic to bull****.

User Info: ArabrockermanX

ArabrockermanX
1 year ago#28
PS4Warrior posted...
davishippo posted...
PS4Warrior posted...
If it's at least as strong as the X1 or stronger that would be good. Switch could be seeing a lot of 3rd party ports if the games sell.

X1 as in Xbox 1? No, it will not. X1 as in Nvidia X1? Absolutely.
Nvidia X1 is still a mordern chip that can handle 3rd party games. A 1080p game on Xbox 1 can be done at 720p. It's when a game that has to be below 1080p for the Xbox 1 is where they will have to start cutting corners for the Switch or go an even lower resolution than 720p. The Switch can also do 1080p but the games will have to be built for it on the Switch just like the Wii U has some games at 1080p itself.

X1 as in Xbox 1.

I wouldn't expect that, seems very unlikely for a handheld.

clevermoniker posted...

Wrong, the Switch will not have a notebook level GPU in it, those GPU's get quite hot, are larger, and need a bigger battery than the Switch can possibly contain. Unless Nintendo plans to release a device with 1 hour battery life...
The internet, where people come to be a dumbass.

User Info: CLupula

CLupula
1 year ago#29
SSMajinVegeta2 posted...
Everyone is trying to troll that it's weaker than the PS4 but forgetting that the document that stated all that said it was nearly identical to Xbox One.

I was hoping for power between the Wii U and X1.

To be as strong as Xbox one and portable is huge.

Bring it on if that is the case.

The XB1 is weaker than the PS4, and the Switch is supposedly weaker than a XB1 (although vastly more powerful than a Wii U).

User Info: MushroomMuncher

MushroomMuncher
1 year ago#30
Y'know, everyone is ignoring the fact NVidia is talking about entering a 20 year partnership with Nintendo.

Now if you're entering a long-term partnership, don't you wanna hook them up with the best s*** you've got? I mean really, it's probably just PR talk, but still, they've got some balls to say something like that.
Surely you jestin'
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. So if people are believing the rumor then the Switch is as strong as the Xbox 1?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived