Why are people so scared of a maxwell chip?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Why are people so scared of a maxwell chip?

User Info: CoolioKDude

CoolioKDude
1 year ago#1
I feel like the majority of people freaking out are primarily console gamers that don't fully understand what they're talking about. let me clear some things up, pascal doesn't mean a magical massive gain in power, it's essentially just the maxwell architecture on a slightly smaller chip, there are a few other minor differences but that's the big one. what this means is the maxwell chip will be worse in 2 ways 1. it will take more power to hit an equal clock speed as the pascal version. 2. it will generate slightly more heat. this will have two primary effects, lower battery life, which sucks but oh well, this obviously won't affect it while docked, and the added heat might cause a slightly lower clock when portable however it would be a pretty small drop. when docked on the other hand due to it being actively cooled I suspect they would hit the max stable clock rate before the max stable temp meaning the clock rate between the two would be very close. of course, there may be a tiny boost in performance if they went with pascal due to some of the other differences but it would be quite small. so yeah, stop freaking out... please? oh the other thing people are freaking out about is that it's an "old" architecture, maxwell is still a more modern architecture than what's in the PS4 or Xbox One.

tldr: pascal would help battery life in portable mode and slightly higher clocks while in portable mode, but otherwise wouldn't be that different.
i7-6700k @ 4.7GHz/Gtx 1080 OC/16 GB RAM/1TB HDD + 500GB SSD.
"They're all idiots, I'm not sure any of them have actual brains." Hades on GameFAQs.

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
1 year ago#2
The pascal chip is capable of clocking at significantly higher speeds due to the process, which is obviously something that benefits the dock mode. People talk about it because it's kind of the worst option to pick over pascal, so it's a shock even for Nintendo standards.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.

User Info: CoolioKDude

CoolioKDude
1 year ago#3
Shacky_101 posted...
The pascal chip is capable of clocking at significantly higher speeds due to the process, which is obviously something that benefits the dock mode. People talk about it because it's kind of the worst option to pick over pascal, so it's a shock even for Nintendo standards.

significantly higher is very false for the power draw it would be limited to, higher? sure. The only reason the desktop GPUs got such a large boost in power is because heat and power draw are much less of a limiting factor for them, that's obviously not the case here.
i7-6700k @ 4.7GHz/Gtx 1080 OC/16 GB RAM/1TB HDD + 500GB SSD.
"They're all idiots, I'm not sure any of them have actual brains." Hades on GameFAQs.

User Info: AndreLeGeant

AndreLeGeant
1 year ago#4
Just because it's economically irrational so seems false
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I am your sXe hero.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
1 year ago#5
CoolioKDude posted...
Shacky_101 posted...

significantly higher is very false for the power draw it would be limited to, higher? sure. The only reason the desktop GPUs got such a large boost in power is because heat and power draw are much less of a limiting factor for them, that's obviously not the case here.

You know the tegra Parker chip clocks at 1.5 GHz? For me that's a very high clock speed, despite the same level of power consumption as the X1 chip which was clocked at 1ghz. The 980ti and Titan x are normally clocked at 1ghz, while the 10 series cards are clocked at well over 1.5 GHz. That is a big jump in clock speeds, which was due to the move to a smaller manufacturing node with better transistors.

I'm saying in docked mode they can squeeze out more performance by clocking at a higher speed. With Maxwell you're stuck at 1ghz, where as you can safely go up to 1.8ghz on pascal, and maybe 2ghz (but that's pretty high).

So yes pascal can indeed help even in dock mode.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.

User Info: DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM
1 year ago#6
Pascal is more powerful, more efficient, smaller, doesn't run as hot, and most importantly it has one other thing that would make Nintendo choose it over Maxwell.

It's cheaper.
I'm gonna enjoy playing Nintendo games, and you can't stop me.
http://tinyurl.com/p9gk8xg - http://tinyurl.com/nnff2sk
(message deleted)

User Info: MaYnardJmz

MaYnardJmz
1 year ago#8
Whatever is in that switch that Jimmy Fallon was playing I'll take it! Pascal/Maxwell it was beautiful.
Gamertag: MAYNARDJMZ
"I'll keep diggin', til..I..feel....something"

User Info: AndreLeGeant

AndreLeGeant
1 year ago#9
People intent on Maxwell just want to claim that Nintendo has a weak system. It is just fanboyism. But nothing about a Pascal chip is inherently related to power. It is really about power per watt.
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I am your sXe hero.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous

User Info: Cyber Akuma Zero

Cyber Akuma Zero
1 year ago#10
Basically, it's because they want to argue that the Switch is a $250 console that can go handheld while outperforming the Xbox Two and PS5.

The idea that a battery-powered tablet with tv-out which costs $300-350 not being able to outperform an AC-powered $300 dedicated console causes them mental anguish, it's like tossing a vampire outside during daylight. And I don't mean the kind that will just sparkle if you did that.
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Why are people so scared of a maxwell chip?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived