Everyone here needs to watch this.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Everyone here needs to watch this.

User Info: meiyuki

meiyuki
1 year ago#31
DaLagga posted...

I agree that he comes off as being overly antagonistic, but I also agree with him that even Nintendo fanboys should be rather upset by these specs. After all, if the thing isn't fast enough to run 3rd party games (and it likely isn't), then its fate is rather doomed - especially as a home console.

Some of us remember how the badly the ds and 3ds performed compared to the psp and vita. Or how the wii was so thoroughly crushed, or the ps2, or ps1. Oh wait I'm sorry I've just been informed that this gen was the first time ever I believe that the most powerful hardware actually sold the best. Weird.

User Info: master_m11

master_m11
1 year ago#32
He's fool that doesn't know what he is talking about.... He's very short sighted and just rambles on over the same bs over and over. When the Switch does good I look forward to him apologizing and admitting he was wrong as usual for Rich.
Leave no Troll behind!
NNID:RedSeven 3DS:3754-8137-2550 Time to make the switch Nintendo Switch!

User Info: DaLagga

DaLagga
1 year ago#33
meiyuki posted...
DaLagga posted...

I agree that he comes off as being overly antagonistic, but I also agree with him that even Nintendo fanboys should be rather upset by these specs. After all, if the thing isn't fast enough to run 3rd party games (and it likely isn't), then its fate is rather doomed - especially as a home console.

Some of us remember how the badly the ds and 3ds performed compared to the psp and vita. Or how the wii was so thoroughly crushed, or the ps2, or ps1. Oh wait I'm sorry I've just been informed that this gen was the first time ever I believe that the most powerful hardware actually sold the best. Weird.

First off, the PS2 and PS1 were by far the most powerful consoles on the market when they launched. And because they launched first they gobbled up most of the 3rd party support right out of the gate so that once faster consoles like the N64, Gamecube, and Xbox finally hit the market those weaker systems already had the attention of most developers while the competitors were left fighting an uphill battle.

Second, the Wii did not succeed because it was weak, cheap, or due to its 3rd party support. It succeeded because it appealed to the mass casual audience - an audience that quickly abandoned it as soon as smart phones became a thing which is why the Wii's attach rate was horrible compared to its competition. In fact, by around 2009 the Wii was already dying and would have easily have been surpassed in total sales by both the x360 and PS3 if the 8th generation hadn't arrived when it did. After all, by 2013 the x360 and PS3 were still going strong while the Wii had completely died years earlier - both in terms of games and sales.

Third, the DS and 3DS succeeded because like the PS1 and PS2 they managed to garner the majority of the 3rd party handheld support right out of the gate while the PSP and Vita were trying to be portable consoles with more mainstream console games rather than typical handheld games.

In short, none of these devices succeeded because they were weak. They succeeded for other reasons primarily relating to 3rd party support and/or mainstream appeal. But the Wii U had none of that which is precisely why it failed and the same is true of the Switch. It's far too weak as a console to handle 8th gen games and the handheld space is quickly drying up which is why the 3DS will never even get remotely close to the sales of the DS despite the fact that it has had effectively no competition. So while the Switch will likely see some success at launch due to it basically just being another Nintendo handheld, longterm it's going to be a dud and probably the last of a dying breed of handheld devices as the mobile market shifts to smart phones and tablets.

User Info: Rizeroth

Rizeroth
1 year ago#34
DaLagga posted...
The fact is, the specs for the Switch wouldn't even be that bad if it were just a successor to the 3DS. But it's not. It's being marketed as a hybrid device that is meant to function as a home console as well as a handheld. So for a flagship console, the specs are obviously beyond pathetic seeing as how it's even worse than the Wii and Wii U were relative to the tech at the time of their releases.

I'd agree with you IF these weren't rumors and certainly not if they were from digital foundry of all places. So we take rumors as facts now? Ok. The Switch is more powerful than the pro and weaker than the WiiU.

What's pathetic is the people who believe these rumors and communicate these as facts. This generation has over obsession with power without truly knowing what it means. Over half the people on this site have no idea what all the tech mumbo jumbo is.
Zelda is a freaking NINJA!!

DaLagga
1 year ago#35
Rizeroth posted...
DaLagga posted...
The fact is, the specs for the Switch wouldn't even be that bad if it were just a successor to the 3DS. But it's not. It's being marketed as a hybrid device that is meant to function as a home console as well as a handheld. So for a flagship console, the specs are obviously beyond pathetic seeing as how it's even worse than the Wii and Wii U were relative to the tech at the time of their releases.

I'd agree with you IF these weren't rumors. So we take rumors as facts now? Ok. The Switch is more powerful than the pro and weaker than the WiiU.

What's pathetic is the people who believe these rumors and communicate these as facts. This generation has over obsession with power without truly knowing what it means. Over half the people on this site have no idea what all the tech mumbo jumbo is.

Not all rumors are of equal validity. Some rumors are obviously bogus while others come from more credible sources, are corroborated by multiple insiders, and fit right in line with what we already know. These rumors represent the latter case which is why they're probably true just like how the more credible rumors regarding the Wii U turned out to be absolutely true and its tech was pinned down to a high degree of certainty more than a year before the system's launch.

meiyuki
1 year ago#36
DaLagga posted...
In short, none of these devices succeeded because they were weak. The succeeded for other reason primarily relating to 3rd party support and/or mainstream appeal. But the Wii U had none of that which is precisely why it failed and the same is true of the Switch. It's far too weak as a console to handle 8th gen games and the handheld space is quickly drying up which is why the 3DS will never even get remotely close to the sales of the DS despite the fact that it has had effectively no competition. So while the Switch will likely see some success at launch due to it basically just being another Nintendo handheld, longterm it's going to be a dud and probably the last of a dying breed of handheld devices as the mobile market shifts to smart phones and tablets.

Oh I understand specs only matter when you want them too and anything that runs counter to your claim that power is everything doesn't count. Your post is so full of crap I'd believe you're posting from a sewage treatment plant. You don't even have a clue what the switch is capable of and you've already predicted the entire future. I suppose I should thank you for showing me I shouldn't waste my time with you though.

meiyuki
1 year ago#37
DaLagga posted...

Not all rumors are of equal validity. Some rumors are obviously bogus while others come from more credible sources, are corroborated by multiple insiders, and fit right in line with what we already know.

lets talk about that for a moment. The current rumors rely heavily on the mhz myth. Furthermore how exactly do they make sense? for the current spec rumors to make sense you'd have to believe nvidia took millions of engineering hours, and even more money, to pick up a tegra chip and place it on a new circuit board. Now to those of us with a functioning brain, that makes no sense.

Rizeroth
1 year ago#38
DaLagga posted...
Rizeroth posted...
DaLagga posted...

I'd agree with you IF these weren't rumors. So we take rumors as facts now? Ok. The Switch is more powerful than the pro and weaker than the WiiU.

Not all rumors are of equal validity. Some rumors are obviously bogus while others come from more credible sources, are corroborated by multiple insiders, and fit right in line with what we already know. These rumors represent the latter case which is why they're probably true just like how the more credible rumors regarding the Wii U turned out to be absolutely true and its tech was pinned down to a high degree of certainty more than a year before the system's launch.

Which makes this rumor a bogus one since digital foundry is not a credible source and what it says doesn't completely fall in line with what we already know and conflicts with other more credible sources. I could be wrong. That's doesn't matter here. Point is, you guys are flying this stuff as fact (do you even know the meaning of the word) too much since there is still as much credible possibility for the NS to be much better than what we know as much as there is possibility for it to be worse.

Rizeroth
1 year ago#39
https://youtu.be/N-3e2bpm3hg

THIS is what you all need to watch.

DaLagga
1 year ago#40
meiyuki posted...
DaLagga posted...
In short, none of these devices succeeded because they were weak. The succeeded for other reason primarily relating to 3rd party support and/or mainstream appeal. But the Wii U had none of that which is precisely why it failed and the same is true of the Switch. It's far too weak as a console to handle 8th gen games and the handheld space is quickly drying up which is why the 3DS will never even get remotely close to the sales of the DS despite the fact that it has had effectively no competition. So while the Switch will likely see some success at launch due to it basically just being another Nintendo handheld, longterm it's going to be a dud and probably the last of a dying breed of handheld devices as the mobile market shifts to smart phones and tablets.

Oh I understand specs only matter when you want them too and anything that runs counter to your claim that power is everything doesn't count. Your post is so full of crap I'd believe you're posting from a sewage treatment plant. You don't even have a clue what the switch is capable of and you've already predicted the entire future. I suppose I should thank you for showing me I shouldn't waste my time with you though.

And yet just one page ago you were arguing that it was ReviewTechUSA that was overly antagonistic and insulting. I'm sorry if the facts disturb you little one, but based on everything we know so far it doesn't look like the Switch's future will be too bright. As a hybrid device it will obviously be limited by the power, heat, and size constraints imposed by portable devices. There's no getting away from that which is one reason why the rumors appear credible.

Mobile devices simply aren't that powerful and based on Nintendo's history it makes perfect sense that they are going to use lower end components so they can sell the system at a relatively low price point. Then there's also the fact that the design philosophy between handheld and console games is quite different. Specifically, handheld games are designed a bit like iphone and tablet games in that they tend to be very simplistic so they can be played in short bursts. As such, handheld games almost never come close to the overall quality, complexity, and longevity that people come to expect from traditional console games and because the Switch is more of a handheld, it makes sense that most games will be designed around this philosophy.

Now, if it were 10 years ago this wouldn't be too big of a problem. People who wanted to plug their handheld into a TV would have that option which is nice and as a handheld it might remain competitive. But in a world where handhelds are quickly dying, I'm not sure what Nintendo is really expecting here. As a console it's a monumental failure of a concept and as a handheld its days are numbered.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Everyone here needs to watch this.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived