CUDA core count

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. CUDA core count

User Info: ncb1397

ncb1397
1 year ago#1
How many shader cores will the Switch have? - Results (46 votes)
13.04% (6 votes)
23.91% (11 votes)
13.04% (6 votes)
8.7% (4 votes)
0% (0 votes)
13.04% (6 votes)
2.17% (1 votes)
0% (0 votes)
more than 1024
26.09% (12 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Pretty simple poll. I voted 512 as I take the Eurogamer report on clockrates as legitimate. There would be no reason to downclock to slower than a Tegra K1 in mobile mode which suggests higher than 256 cores. Also, the other Tegra chip that nVidia is releasing in 2017(Xavier) is a 512 shader core chip.

User Info: Shacky_101

Shacky_101
1 year ago#2
512 cores would be make the die size way too big, especially at 20nm. Why should they waste extra money just to downclock (aside from battery reason), instead of just going to 16nm and with less spus. It just doesn't sound too cost effective.

I think the best and not-unlikely configuration would be 384 cores clocked at 750mhz and 1.5-2 ghz for portable and console mode respectively. This configuration wil easily reach xbone and ps4 levels easily in console mode.

Although they're most likely going with 256 cores instead. Because we would be lucky to have anything more with decent clock speeds.
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.

User Info: ArabrockermanX

ArabrockermanX
1 year ago#3
Shacky_101 posted...
512 cores would be make the die size way too big, especially at 20nm. Why should they waste extra money just to downclock (aside from battery reason), instead of just going to 16nm and with less spus. It just doesn't sound too cost effective.

Well if it was Nintendo's call, I wouldn't expect it to be cost effective after the Wii U...
The internet, where people come to be a dumbass.

Shacky_101
1 year ago#4
^good point. But I still think having 512 is out of the realm of possibilities

Shacky_101
1 year ago#5
Also, Tegra xavier is a soc that's 300mm^2 big that's meant purely automotive tasks. Just because the next tegra chip has something doesn't mean the Switch will.

User Info: Board_hunter567

Board_hunter567
1 year ago#6
Every time I see one of these topics come up all I can think of as an answer is "at least two."
http://i.imgur.com/szMsu.png
Validate your purchases and discredit the purchases of others whenever possible. Numbers objectively define quality and enjoyment.

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
1 year ago#7
I would vote for 320 if you actually listed it.
Core i7-4930K, 2x Radeon R9 390X, 4x4GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM, GA X79-UD3
x86 is holding back PCs.

Shacky_101
1 year ago#8
^you can't pick in between. The cuda cores are grouped together in units containing 128 spus, 4 rops and 4 tmus. That's how they were designed. I mean they could modify this, but that's extra development costs.

User Info: NicknameMy

NicknameMy
1 year ago#9
I see 768 CUDA Cores inside it. And it is gonna be Pascal 16 nm.

The reason for increasing the CUDA Core amount but decreasing the clock speed is that it futureproofs the console (a later firmware update can increase clock speeds) plus lower clock speeds with more cores use less battery than higher clock speeds with less cores, if you look at the formula P=U*I. This is what we call a very energy efficient but still powerfull.

Pascal uses 64 CUDA Cores per SM.
My speculation on Switch TFLOPs: 0.5 undocked, 1.2 docked.
Pascal, 12 SM's, 768 CUDA Cores

User Info: Solis

Solis
1 year ago#10
Shacky_101 posted...
^you can't pick in between. The cuda cores are grouped together in units containing 128 spus, 4 rops and 4 tmus. That's how they were designed. I mean they could modify this, but that's extra development costs.

The Tegra K1 had 192 CUDA cores. Since the Switch's SoC was described as a "fully customized Tegra", they could modify it however they want, including mirroring the core configuration of the K1. I still think 256 is the most probable though.
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. CUDA core count

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived