It is pretty remarkable how powerful this handheld is.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. It is pretty remarkable how powerful this handheld is.

User Info: pennylessz

pennylessz
11 months ago#11
nonexistinghero posted...
Not remarkable at all. The PS Vita was released in 2011 (Japan, but the rest of the world has the same hardware) and it got pretty close the PS3 graphics. On a large screen the games quite obviously looked noticably worse, but on the small screen it did manage to get pretty close.

It's now 2017. It's 6 years later and it's a handheld device that's capable of displaying graphics that are a bit better than the PS3. It's basically a natural step forward for the 3DS, because:

DS --> About N64 level graphics
PSP --> Almost PS2 level graphics
3DS --> Slightly above PS2 level graphics
Vita --> Almost PS3 level graphics
Switch --> Slightly above PS3 level graphics

If someone would try to release a very powerful handheld, it would mean that it should be able of displaying graphics that look almost as good as Xbox One-PS4 games on the handheld screen (but would look significantly worse when blown up on the big screen). Also looking at the time frame... about half a year between releases of Nintendo's and Sony's systems. If Sony were to focus on creating a powerful handheld, I think it may be possible to release such a device around the holiday season. It would be a bit more expensive, probably would cost $350-$400. I'm not saying it's going to happen, just saying that theoretically... it's probably possible in terms of technology & pricing.

Dragon Quest VIII looks worse on 3DS than PS2, so you're a bit off on that one.
Number of people who want K. Rool in Smash: 7 Please PM me to be added as a numeric quantity.

User Info: ninty89

ninty89
11 months ago#12
pennylessz posted...
Not remarkable at all. The PS Vita was released in 2011 (Japan, but the rest of the world has the same hardware) and it got pretty close the PS3 graphics. On a large screen the games quite obviously looked noticably worse, but on the small screen it did manage to get pretty close.

It's now 2017. It's 6 years later and it's a handheld device that's capable of displaying graphics that are a bit better than the PS3. It's basically a natural step forward for the 3DS, because:

If someone would try to release a very powerful handheld, it would mean that it should be able of displaying graphics that look almost as good as Xbox One-PS4 games on the handheld screen (but would look significantly worse when blown up on the big screen). Also looking at the time frame... about half a year between releases of Nintendo's and Sony's systems. If Sony were to focus on creating a powerful handheld, I think it may be possible to release such a device around the holiday season. It would be a bit more expensive, probably would cost $350-$400. I'm not saying it's going to happen, just saying that theoretically... it's probably possible in terms of technology & pricing.

I was thinking that too. So Nintendo aren't doing anything remarkable for graphical power when they're only just now exceeding Sony's 6 year old effort XP
But they have rocketed themselves up past their own previous system power and it's good just for that :-)
Kalos was the worst region ever and i hope there will never be closure to it's story. Ryuou rocks, and i'll never mention x/y again.
FC 2895-7559-0884,IGN Nick

User Info: Dalymiddleboro1

Dalymiddleboro1
11 months ago#13
How does everyone know what the graphics capabilities are? No one knows it's specs...

User Info: CODwiiiVIP123

CODwiiiVIP123
11 months ago#14
ElectricMole posted...
Yeah, considering how thin it is and the low power consumption, yet it still runs Zelda better than the WiiU.

It's pretty amazing hardware.

And the Switch also happens to be lighter than a WiiU gamepad even with the joycons attached to it. Very impressive indeed!
3DS FC: 4596-9726-4489

User Info: DaLagga

DaLagga
11 months ago#15
Dalymiddleboro1 posted...
How does everyone know what the graphics capabilities are? No one knows it's specs...

The rumored specs fall right in line with everything else we know and perfectly match the graphical prowess (or lack thereof) of the games that Nintendo has showed off. The fact is, for a 2017 handheld it isn't very powerful. If anything, both the PSP and Vita were more powerful relative to other tech at the time of their releases than the Switch is in 2017.

skier8390 posted...
Probably somewhere inbetween Wii U and PS4 in power but the fact that it can even get compared to home consoles (whereas 3DS and Vita they were obviously no where close) I'd say that was an accomplishment.

It isn't being compared favorably to home consoles though. It's leagues behind even the base Xbone model. In handheld mode, it's little more than a pocket Wii U which itself wasn't even faster than other 7th gen consoles. And in docked mode it just gets a resolution bump so at best, it's a portable 7th gen console with a sharper image when docked. In 2017, that's nothing to get excited about and developers have already talked about how it's so far out of date that ports of demanding modern games are essentially impossible.

http://gametransfers.com/direct-ports-from-ps4xbox-one-to-nintendo-switch-could-not-be-possible-according-to-former-ubisoft-developer/

User Info: MushroomMuncher

MushroomMuncher
11 months ago#16
DaLagga posted...
The fact is, for a 2017 handheld it isn't very powerful.

Literally if you're calling it a handheld, it's the strongest one ever released. Unless you're comparing it to 500+ dollar """""4K"""" phones to which I laugh at you
Surely you jestin'

User Info: skier8390

skier8390
11 months ago#17
RiaanYster posted...

I don't understand your post. Well the second paragraph you started out pretty good.

So you are against hybrid which means you want it to be a handheld i.e u don't like the idea of plugging in a handheld to a tv and getting upgraded performance?

Or are you against being able to carry a pretty solid performance console with you as a handheld.

I'm just struggling to see the bad things about basically getting the best of both worlds.. which one would you have wanted?

I personally don't see it as a bad thing but the way Nintendo is marketing it as a hybrid and even going as far as to say this is a "home console first and foremost" was actually the worst approach they could've taken imo and takes away from the fact that is a handheld. It could also confuse people who think it's like a gamepad that needs to rely on the dock (I know we know better but you'd be surprised what the general public thinks).

The Switch may be a bigger jump than you think though. As a Vita owner myself I think "almost PS3 graphics" is a little too generous. Yes there were titles that I remember thinking "Nice this almost looks like it could be on the PS3" but that was rare and most of the time the nicer looking ones had serious framerate issues. We don't know how the Switch will perform yet so this is a premature statement but if it can run most games at a steady 30-60 fps and look the way it does it is a significant leap from the Vita.

And Sony i doubt will go back into the handheld industry for at least a while especially with how well PS4 is performing.
Stop, don't click in there this is my private square...

User Info: CODwiiiVIP123

CODwiiiVIP123
11 months ago#18
MushroomMuncher posted...
DaLagga posted...
The fact is, for a 2017 handheld it isn't very powerful.

Literally if you're calling it a handheld, it's the strongest one ever released. Unless you're comparing it to 500+ dollar """""4K"""" phones to which I laugh at you

And considering just how compact and light the Switch is in relation to how powerful it is, is even more impressive
3DS FC: 4596-9726-4489

User Info: nonexistinghero

nonexistinghero
11 months ago#19
ninty89 posted...
As far as I understand, the jump from PS2 to PS3 was pretty massive so your comparison can call it an impressive jump in power from Nintendo just from that.
Plus there's the leaks that suggest it is more in par with Xbone than in PS3's region. Though I don't know a lot about those console's power, maybe Xbone isn't much better than PS3, I just remember PS3 being a massive deal for Sony taking high ground, graphically.

I'm quite excited by what you theorise on what potential Sony has to up their game portably. It might even help the Switch if Sony copy them, as that's always an indication that Nintendo were onto something good when that company rips them off lol

Numbers don't mean everything. Everything we've seen indicates it's nowhere close to displaying Xbox One visuals and only a step above PS3 & Wii U. And yes, the Xbox One is quite a bit more powerful than the PS3. And the PS3 was actually weaker than the Xbox 360 when it comes to GPU power.

Also, Nintendo's touting this as a home console. But in reality, it's only a natural step forward from the 3DS. Meaning that Nintendo's trying to sell handheld hardware and is passing it off as a home console because of the switching gimmick. Not only is it 1.5 generations behind in terms of console graphics, but it's essentially misleading as well.

pennylessz posted...

Like I said before in this post, numbers don't mean everything. The crappy 3DS screen was incapable of really displaying much better. Also keep in mind that some things also look better on the 3DS in that game and that enemies are now also rendered in realtime, with random encounters being removed. The hardware in the machine is more powerful than the PS2 though. A game like Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS has graphics beyond what the PS2 can produce. I'd say one of the problems with the 3DS not having a lot of graphically impressive games is also because developers didn't really try pushing the graphics on it beyond just a few games that were released fairly early in the system's life.
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.

User Info: infinitydev2020

infinitydev2020
11 months ago#20
I wonder how powerful it will be compared to the smach Z.
"I'm a handsome man with a charming personality"
Gabe Newell
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. It is pretty remarkable how powerful this handheld is.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived