It is pretty remarkable how powerful this handheld is.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. It is pretty remarkable how powerful this handheld is.

User Info: RS_YELARAKA

RS_YELARAKA
11 months ago#31
Slightly above WiiU. Not even close to PS4. But for a had held that's still awesome.
[RSG] Red Screen Gaming
XB1/N3DS/SWITCH

User Info: RS_YELARAKA

RS_YELARAKA
11 months ago#32
ninty89 posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
Not remarkable at all. The PS Vita was released in 2011 (Japan, but the rest of the world has the same hardware) and it got pretty close the PS3 graphics. On a large screen the games quite obviously looked noticably worse, but on the small screen it did manage to get pretty close.

It's now 2017. It's 6 years later and it's a handheld device that's capable of displaying graphics that are a bit better than the PS3. It's basically a natural step forward for the 3DS, because:

DS --> About N64 level graphics
PSP --> Almost PS2 level graphics
3DS --> Slightly above PS2 level graphics
Vita --> Almost PS3 level graphics
Switch --> Slightly above PS3 level graphics

If someone would try to release a very powerful handheld, it would mean that it should be able of displaying graphics that look almost as good as Xbox One-PS4 games on the handheld screen (but would look significantly worse when blown up on the big screen). Also looking at the time frame... about half a year between releases of Nintendo's and Sony's systems. If Sony were to focus on creating a powerful handheld, I think it may be possible to release such a device around the holiday season. It would be a bit more expensive, probably would cost $350-$400. I'm not saying it's going to happen, just saying that theoretically... it's probably possible in terms of technology & pricing.

As far as I understand, the jump from PS2 to PS3 was pretty massive so your comparison can call it an impressive jump in power from Nintendo just from that.
Plus there's the leaks that suggest it is more in par with Xbone than in PS3's region. Though I don't know a lot about those console's power, maybe Xbone isn't much better than PS3, I just remember PS3 being a massive deal for Sony taking high ground, graphically.

I'm quite excited by what you theorise on what potential Sony has to up their game portably. It might even help the Switch if Sony copy them, as that's always an indication that Nintendo were onto something good when that company rips them off lol

The fact you know nothing about the XB1 shows what you are. Sad
[RSG] Red Screen Gaming
XB1/N3DS/SWITCH

User Info: ninty89

ninty89
11 months ago#33
RS_YELARAKA posted...
ninty89 posted...
Not remarkable at all. The PS Vita was released in 2011 (Japan, but the rest of the world has the same hardware) and it got pretty close the PS3 graphics. On a large screen the games quite obviously looked noticably worse, but on the small screen it did manage to get pretty close.

It's now 2017. It's 6 years later and it's a handheld device that's capable of displaying graphics that are a bit better than the PS3. It's basically a natural step forward for the 3DS, because:

DS --> About N64 level graphics
PSP --> Almost PS2 level graphics
3DS --> Slightly above PS2 level graphics
Vita --> Almost PS3 level graphics
Switch --> Slightly above PS3 level graphics

If someone would try to release a very powerful handheld, it would mean that it should be able of displaying graphics that look almost as good as Xbox One-PS4 games on the handheld screen (but would look significantly worse when blown up on the big screen). Also looking at the time frame... about half a year between releases of Nintendo's and Sony's systems. If Sony were to focus on creating a powerful handheld, I think it may be possible to release such a device around the holiday season. It would be a bit more expensive, probably would cost $350-$400. I'm not saying it's going to happen, just saying that theoretically... it's probably possible in terms of technology & pricing.

As far as I understand, the jump from PS2 to PS3 was pretty massive so your comparison can call it an impressive jump in power from Nintendo just from that.
Plus there's the leaks that suggest it is more in par with Xbone than in PS3's region. Though I don't know a lot about those console's power, maybe Xbone isn't much better than PS3, I just remember PS3 being a massive deal for Sony taking high ground, graphically.

I'm quite excited by what you theorise on what potential Sony has to up their game portably. It might even help the Switch if Sony copy them, as that's always an indication that Nintendo were onto something good when that company rips them off lol

The fact you know nothing about the XB1 shows what you are. Sad

Oops, I'm sorry for even being on this board? ?
d****?
Kalos was the worst region ever and i hope there will never be closure to it's story. Ryuou rocks, and i'll never mention x/y again.
FC 2895-7559-0884,IGN Nick

User Info: nonexistinghero

nonexistinghero
11 months ago#34
forte posted...
So...let me get this you are saying that the SNES and Genesis are tough to directly compare because they each are very complex within their individual strengths and weaknesses? Fair enough....trying to compare consoles is a lot like comparing apples and oranges.

BUT WAIT!!

You just finished trying to compare the Switch, a system you literally know nothing about outside of a wii-u port ( Zelda) and a still in development mario game that won't even be done for a year....to the PS3.

So you think it isn't so "cut and clear" which 4th generation system (SNES/Genesis ) is more "powerful" but you are happy to make a lot of very specific assumptions about how "powerful" the Switch is based on ported and in development titles?

Aren't you being a bit of a hypocrite? Because that's what it looks like to me. In fact...it really just looks like you have no sweet clue what you are talking about.

Also worth pointing out that going by the Foxcon leak( a leak that got every hard fact correct and one assumption about screen resolution wrong) , the Switch is likely just a tad more powerful than the Xbone. Perhaps instead of making all these silly assumptions, a wait and see approach would be your best bet.

Comparing power for modern consoles is a lot easier these days. Back in the day they had to be mostly coded up from scratch. Every game was very different because of that. And consoles were also all very different, there were no standards for which kind of technology to put into them. These days there are all kinds of tools that are used to create a variety of games and the consoles are made to support them., meaning they're all fairly similar in how they work compared to back then.

There's also the fact that developers generally don't really take the time anymore to take advantage of a console's unique strengths. It's simply not profitable to take that approach outside of 1st parties. 3rd Parties just want a consoles that they can put their games on without having to spend a lot of extra effort and money on other versions.

Also, if the Switch was as powerful as the Xbox One we would've seen it by now and heard/read about it from actual developers. And even if the CPU happens to be more powerful (with the crap Xbox One and PS4 CPU's it's hard to not have a better one), the brunt of their power comes from the GPU. Unless I'm seeing visuals that come close to Xbox One's visuals, I'm not going to assume that it's more powerful or close to it in power. What we've seen right now would put it at about double of the Wii U, maybe 2.5... which translates to games looking noticably better than Wii U games, but not significantly.

I'm also not making silly assumptions. I know what tablets can do at the moment and it's impossible for them to be as powerful as the Xbox One at a reasonable price. All of the processing hardware for the Switch is in the tablet. If it was possible to get Xbox One power in that size for a good price, the Xbox One S would've been a lot smaller. Same story with the PS4 Slim. Best case scenario, Switch would be roughly half of the Xbox One's power when undocked. Maybe about 70-75% when docked, but the only thing docking will really do is likely bump up the native resolution and maybe increase performance a little bit. So the games still won't come close to looking like Xbox One games.
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.

User Info: kissdadookie

kissdadookie
11 months ago#35
skier8390 posted...
Probably somewhere inbetween Wii U and PS4 in power but the fact that it can even get compared to home consoles (whereas 3DS and Vita they were obviously no where close) I'd say that was an accomplishment.

A shame Nintendo f***ed up and went with the hybrid route so now it just looks like Wii U part 2.

Basically what I'm saying is even when Nintendo does something right they still end up messing up.

It's not somewhere in between Wii U and PS4/XBO. The guts of the current iPhone is more powerful than the Tegra X1 which is in the Switch.

You're essentially looking at a system which is roughly a portable Wii U (which is pretty cool for a handheld).

Docked, you get a bump in resolution without sacrificing performance (framerate). However, 900p 30 fps for the new Zelda is not the same as 900p 20-30 fps for Ryse on XBO. The difference in what the processor needs to do in those two games are a world apart.

User Info: DaLagga

DaLagga
11 months ago#36
skier8390 posted...
Doesn't matter what they "could've done" with the Shield because they didn't. So while the Shield device may be cheaper you either need to rely on a PC or pay for their streaming services. So price at this point leans in favor of the Switch imo.

My point is that all Nintendo has done is repurpose budget tech from 2 years ago. It's not cutting edge or high end. It's, at best, 2 year old mid-range tech.

MushroomMuncher posted...
So it's the "It's the best but it could have been better!" argument.

I expected no less from a PCuck

This is like being proud of winning a race where you're the only one who bothered to compete. Nobody else wants a piece of the handheld market because they realize that it's a losing proposition. It would be kind of like opening a video store to corner the home video rental market. Sure, you might be able to dominate that space or what's left of it, but that's not saying much. For example, here's some interesting sales statistics that include handheld sales about halfway down the page.

https://www.finder.com.au/128-million-console-gamers-set-to-leave-the-market

Is that really a market you think Nintendo should be staking the future of their company on?

User Info: SkyCrackers

SkyCrackers
11 months ago#37
Not remarkable at all. The PS Vita was released in 2011 (Japan, but the rest of the world has the same hardware) and it got pretty close the PS3 graphics.

Vita didn't get anywhere close to the PS3 at all. It only pushed 25 GFLOPS, (most sites will say 50 if you Google it but that figure was based on a 400 MHz clock speed, and now we know the GPU clock is actually 200MHz thanks to the work of some hackers). The few games that even came close to PS3 level visuals had to run in sub-SD resolutions with additional compromises.The Switch is easily a generational leap over the Vita.
"Theyre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken." -Tomonobu Itagaki

User Info: SkyCrackers

SkyCrackers
11 months ago#38
kissdadookie posted...
It's not somewhere in between Wii U and PS4/XBO. The guts of the current iPhone is more powerful than the Tegra X1 which is in the Switch.

Can you link me to the GPU specs for the iPhone that you used to make this comparison? They're not that easy to find.

BTW, even if the iPhone 7 has better specs on paper, it'll throttle hard after a short time even at moderate loads. The switch has to maintain rock solid clocks at all costs, which is why the clocks are set so low to begin with.
"Theyre not only moron but also Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chicken." -Tomonobu Itagaki

User Info: Darth_Kamcio

Darth_Kamcio
11 months ago#39
DaLagga posted...
If we completely ignore all of the other tech on the market and analyze Nintendo in a vacuum, then sure. But reality doesn't work that way. The fact is, Nintendo isn't on the cutting edge at all. They just happen to be a tad bit less behind the times than they have been in the past.

Could you please post 3 examples of tablets or smartphones that have better specs than the Switch? And while at it, please do attach their price points.
I love dragons!
3DS FC: 3625-8721-3670; MH4U in-game name: Night Fury.

User Info: kissdadookie

kissdadookie
11 months ago#40
SkyCrackers posted...
kissdadookie posted...

Can you link me to the GPU specs for the iPhone that you used to make this comparison? They're not that easy to find.

BTW, even if the iPhone 7 has better specs on paper, it'll throttle hard after a short time even at moderate loads. The switch has to maintain rock solid clocks at all costs, which is why the clocks are set so low to begin with.

The Apple A10 Fusion is as follows:

- 2 CPU cores @ 2.34 GHz using 16 nm FinFET fabrication (this is what Pascal uses for fabrication)

- 2 CPU cores which are high efficiency to do more standard processing work but performance-wise they may be similar to the 2 main CPU cores

- Only 2 cores at a time may be used, so either the high performance will be used or the power efficient cores (thus further suggesting that performance is likely to be similar between the two sets of CPU cores)

- The 2 + 2 CPU cores configuration is similar to (if not actually being) ARM big.LITTLE

- 6 core GPU which is thought to be maxed at 900 Mhz. Specs are kind of mysterious at the moment since Apple actually replaced a lot of the PowerVR portions with their own proprietary tech. It's likely the same GPU as in the A9 though but heavily tweaked by Apple.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. It is pretty remarkable how powerful this handheld is.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived