Do you think this will sell less than the Wii-U?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Do you think this will sell less than the Wii-U?

User Info: juzzieb

juzzieb
11 months ago#1
Honestly this is a horrid launch. 1 game worth playing for god knows how many months and it's not even an exclusive to the console.

Right now we have P5, Nier and Mass Effect (+ some other games I guess) to look forward to on PS4. Who is going to bother buying this thing especially with the Wii-U fresh on our minds. Really looking forward to SMO, Splatoon 2, SMT and XC2 but I feel like Nintendo needed to pump at least 2 of these out for launch. We have seen from the 3DS and PS3 you can come back from low launch sales but its extremely hard and Nintendo just needed to smash this thing out of the box to get competitive again in the console world.

Ugh dude it pains me even more to think that we might not even get a handheld if this thing flops (hopefully Nintendo change their mind...)

User Info: Linetrix

Linetrix
11 months ago#2
It will sell extremely well at launch. But after that it will probably take the Wii U's route if 3rd parties continue ignoring it.

User Info: FayeLady

FayeLady
11 months ago#3
No, I don't think any major system is likely to sell that bad again. Its unlikely anything else will be that tone def.

If the Switch even sells better than the Wii U, but still poorly, I'd still put most of that on people being burned from the Wii U
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.

User Info: juzzieb

juzzieb
11 months ago#4
FayeLady posted...
No, I don't think any major system is likely to sell that bad again. Its unlikely anything else will be that tone def.

If the Switch even sells better than the Wii U, but still poorly, I'd still put most of that on people being burned from the Wii U

People are absolutely burned out from the Wii-U. The reason I think it will sell less is because they will look at the launch titles and presume Nintendo are just pushing out another console with no games to play. The sad thing is if they waited one extra year they could sell the hell out of this thing with one of the best launch lineups of all time. They need something big to get the bad taste out of everyones mouths but with the only options being indie games and a game that's available one wii-u for the first 3-6 months it just seems like Nintendo blew it again.

User Info: Tom_Green_II

Tom_Green_II
11 months ago#5
Assuming Nintendo doesn't make a successor to the 3DS, the switch will do better than the Wii U. Not by much, but the handheld crowd will enjoy it. I imagine switch will end up doing 20 - 30 mil by the end of its life.

User Info: ChemicalBurrito

ChemicalBurrito
11 months ago#6
There's almost no way this does worse than the Wii U. About the only way that scenario happens is Nintendo announcing a (different) 3DS successor.

edit: or what Tom_Green_II says, though I think it'll do better than 30 million if it is the 3DS successor.
My game collection: http://chemicalburrito.com
Now: Borderlands 2 (Vita/PS3) | Risk of Rain (Vita) | Phantasy Star Nova (Vita)

User Info: Alnilam81

Alnilam81
11 months ago#7
Tom_Green_II posted...
Assuming Nintendo doesn't make a successor to the 3DS, the switch will do better than the Wii U. Not by much, but the handheld crowd will enjoy it. I imagine switch will end up doing 20 - 30 mil by the end of its life.

Pretty much my thinking. Better than the Wii U, but I can't see it being a huge success unless there's a lot of stuff Nintendo has far in development that they haven't revealed yet.

User Info: DaLagga

DaLagga
11 months ago#8
It will sell quite a bit more than the Wii U but that's not good enough because this thing isn't just a replacement for the Wii U. It's also a replacement for the 3DS so in order to be as successful as their previous generation of hardware in terms of units sold, it needs to move ~100 million units (3DS + Wii U sales). Which, of course, is never going to happen. So unless their foray into the mobile space takes off, it's fairly safe to say that Nintendo is only going to become even more irrelevant in the next few years.

User Info: Yuri_LowelI

Yuri_LowelI
11 months ago#9
No way will it sell less. It's not possible to sell less. I don't think you know how badly the u sold

I think it will sell around GameCube level. Which is still bad.
http://k09.kn3.net/1256263BF.gif

User Info: mmlt

mmlt
11 months ago#10
I really hope it sells better than the Wii U...
With that said, I think it will only sells well IF it's treated as the 3DS successor.
As for now, the 3DS is the most well sold handheld, so Nintendo owns that market.

My fear on buying a Switch on launch is that it does not sells well and Nintendo treats the Switch the same as the Wii U. =/
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Do you think this will sell less than the Wii-U?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived