Is BoTW's exploration rewarding?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Is BoTW's exploration rewarding?

User Info: MHGALE

MHGALE
2 months ago#1
I have been having a hankering to replay Skyrim for a couple weeks now, meanwhile I have an unplayed copy of BoTW sitting on my shelf. Admittedly the appeal for me of Skyrim is partially making my own character and grinding to make them powerful, but I also am interested in a strong narrative to push me forward and rewarding exploration. So I'm wondering if BoTW has that?
http://backloggery.com/KyleJR
https://myanimelist.net/profile/KyleJR

User Info: ecylis

ecylis
2 months ago#2
MHGALE posted...
strong narrative

not even close

MHGALE posted...
rewarding exploration

occasionally you'll find new armors which can be nice but most of them are useless
you're constantly getting weapons that break after a few uses
stamina is worth it I guess
http://i.imgur.com/UgOcJQG.jpg

User Info: WoeChosenChild

WoeChosenChild
2 months ago#3
Subjective.

Some would value more the treasure you find, others value more the exploration itself regardless of what lies at the end (a great reward obviously makes the experience better).

As for me, I quite enjoy it.

User Info: Hands

Hands
2 months ago#4
BotW sucked ass. It's a shame that they delayed the game for so long and the final product turned out to be a disappointment.

If the same happened to Odyssey, the game would've been the most flawless game of all time...

User Info: guedesbrawl

guedesbrawl
2 months ago#5
more or less.

Exploration's major rewards come in the form of finding or unlcoking shrines. Shrines are rewarding because as a whole they offer:

A) A piece of heart (well, the game's equivalent, which can be used for Stamina instead)
B) A teleportation point
C) Actual level design so the player feels good for solving a problem or puzzle.
D) 1 to 3 chests (with the rare 4), containing a mixture of weapons, arrows, ancient materials*, rupees, ores (which are mostly there to be sold for rupees), and very rarely, armor.

*You need those for certain armors and weapons, but also to upgrade some of your magic runes in significant ways. You can always get these from enemies, but they are not easy to fight until you become fairly skilled with the game's combat system. This includes also having enough health/damage output to take them on.

But treasure chests in general aren't very rewarding, because the rewards rarely matter. You can get weapons and money everywhere.

This game lets you access 99% of the map as soon as the tutorial is done, so you will never feel more "capable" like in other zeldas. The rewarding feel is in how you learn to fight and explore, mastering the game's mechanics as you go on.

It's a nice feeling, but it pales in comparison to getting a Hookshot and suddenly having a plethora of new palces that you never were able to access but were always there, taunting you.
My naruhina-oriented rewrite of Naruto (currently has 309K words and 20 chapters): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11577577/1/Because-I-Love-You-Chasing-After-You

User Info: Mabus51

Mabus51
2 months ago#6
Zelda doesn't play like an RPG where you level your character up for killing enemies and grinding.

User Info: Username2016

Username2016
2 months ago#7
BoTWs exploration isn't rewarding

User Info: guedesbrawl

guedesbrawl
2 months ago#8
I also forgot to add: Breath of the Wild is the kind of game where the main "reward" is the journey, rather than what you get at the end.

Mabus51 posted...
Zelda doesn't play like an RPG where you level your character up for killing enemies and grinding.

In a way, it does. This provides the player with better weapons, and materials needed for armor upgrades.
My naruhina-oriented rewrite of Naruto (currently has 309K words and 20 chapters): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11577577/1/Because-I-Love-You-Chasing-After-You

User Info: wiiking96

wiiking96
2 months ago#9
Absolutely.
Bowser as the protagonist of a RTS game needs to happen at some point.
Fan of Majora's Mask, M+L: Superstar Saga, Metroid Prime 2, and DKC: Tropical Freeze.

User Info: bladegash666

bladegash666
2 months ago#10
At first it was , then the game largely devolves into a pretty standard gameplay loop. Once you're done with half the shrines , it's starts to get tiresome. Though , I guess it depends on your playstyle. Yours is kinda similar to mine ; upgrade upgrade upgrade. Sure , there's stuff like that one shrine island , or those labyrinths...but the game lacks meaningful content outside of like 40 shrines.
Now Playing : Breath of The Wild , Persona 5 , Overwatch , Dragon Quest Heroes 2
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Is BoTW's exploration rewarding?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived