Does Nintendo pay for positive reviews? SMO... Forbes are suspicious

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Does Nintendo pay for positive reviews? SMO... Forbes are suspicious

User Info: PopeBible

PopeBible
2 months ago#1
Edge Magazine, which is still printed on dead trees, has a full review already penned, and a snapshot of that review has leaked online revealing the score, a perfect 10.

On the one hand, this is good news for gamers and for Nintendo. We all want this Mario game to be great, especially since it’s the most important Nintendo Switch release of the holiday season and the first 3D Mario game in years.

On the other hand, it’s always a little bit odd when one publication has its review out so far in advance of every other. It cheapens the perfect score because we can’t help but wonder if it’s all above board, or if secret deals were struck behind the scenes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/10/11/what-to-make-of-that-perfect-super-mario-odyssey-review-score/#7fc0aebe453f

I really hope this isn’t the case. I’m not massively excited about SMO but still plan to buy it. I didn’t even realise that buying good reviews was a thing until people accused Nintendo of doing the same for BOTW.
God Bless Nintendo

User Info: I_like_BigButts

I_like_BigButts
2 months ago#2
or maybe *gasp* it's an actual good game?

why the f*** do you put so much stock in reviews anyway? The only review that should matter is your own.

watch gameplay videos over reviews.
and I can not lie

User Info: Joshjosh022

Joshjosh022
2 months ago#3
Given marios track record, there's not much anyone could do that would make me believe it wasn't a legitimate 10

User Info: Allmytee

Allmytee
2 months ago#4
Why would anyone read Forbes for video game news? Conspiracy video game news at that?

Not to mention, it may be a shock, but reviewers get early access to games to make reviews.

User Info: OMEGA RUGAL

OMEGA RUGAL
2 months ago#5
Given the fact that actual consumers LOVE Mario games ... is it really hard to believe that SMO is a great game?

Ghostbusters 2016 movie got praised by critics ... TRASHED by fans.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 83% from critics ... 51% from fans.

You can't pay off the fans. Fans love Mario games.

Also ... Nintendo is notoriously cheap which makes this even more unbelievable.
PSN/NNID/Live: Loadedklip Recent Games: AM2R,Metroid SR,Splatoon 2,Until Dawn
Trump: if Ivanka werent my daughter, perhaps Id be dating her.

User Info: OpIvy

OpIvy
2 months ago#6
I_like_BigButts posted...
or maybe *gasp* it's an actual good game?

why the f*** do you put so much stock in reviews anyway? The only review that should matter is your own.

watch gameplay videos over reviews.
"Anyone who wanted one could've gotten one if they just tried." - Baha05 on the ridiculously low quantities of last year's NES Classic

User Info: rockymin

rockymin
2 months ago#7
I've believed this of pretty much all companies for a long time. It's just part of the marketing budget for promoting the game. I bet other industries like movies and music do it too.

Most reviewers and critics seem pretty shady and would probably take a payout for a better review of a product. That's why I haven't read reviews of anything in probably over 20 years.
"It's funny how dumb you are" -Bill Cipher
FCs, PSN and Gamertag in profile

User Info: fastbilly1

fastbilly1
2 months ago#8
All print media has reviews penned and issue is likely at the printers. You know since they have to print and ship issues.
"You beat me fast[billy], and easily too" - Gameboy Guru
the Duke of the GBA Social Board

User Info: Otimus

Otimus
2 months ago#9
I'd like to think Nintendo is just way too cheap to pay for a good review. Probably even too cheap to even give out a ton of enticing freebies. Especially to the non-Japanese. (Second class citizens to Nintendo)
Now Playing
Zelda BOTW Master Mode (Switch), Tales of Berseria (PC), Witcher 3 (PC)

User Info: ikki5

ikki5
2 months ago#10
I hate forbes, I am basically blocked from their site because I use an adblock. I disabled it once to try and read something and was attacked with ads and re-enabled it so they can just keep me "blocked."
| PSN - JSampG / NNID - Sampsonj |
"Ok so stealth troll topic" - Baha05 in response to someone showing support for a company.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Does Nintendo pay for positive reviews? SMO... Forbes are suspicious

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived