Should I get Odyssey and BotW alongside Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or do I wait?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Should I get Odyssey and BotW alongside Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or do I wait?

User Info: Sammycakes88

Sammycakes88
1 month ago#21
Crystal_Dream posted...
hellhammer posted...
If you don't like 3D Mario or Zelda games, why are you asking? You answered your own question.

I did say something to the effect that perhaps they might be the exception. I mean, I gotta be into one of these games eventually, right?

I should mention that BotW is one of the reasons I got the Wii U, but that was before they mentioned all the gameplay changes. I was just really wowed by the graphics.

Edit: I was also interested in the voice acting. That's new to the series, so I also thought maybe they're trying to tell a more narrative driven story this time around?

Dog you can legit go right away to fight the final boss so no def weaker in story.

As for the 4 divine beast they are more traditional dungeons and beating them gives you special abilities and some special weapons, also makes final boss easier.
PS4 Sammycake88/Xbox One Sammycakes88
Fire Emblem Fates Mycastle 05358-10817-47902-76093

User Info: MARSDUDE

MARSDUDE
1 month ago#22
By the sounds of it, you'll be rushing most of those games. Why not buy them later on when there's a potential sale/preowned copy?
"Cool" - mariobro8

User Info: ParagonCrossing

ParagonCrossing
1 month ago#23
Yes
these three games are all games every switch owner should own, especially Mario and Zelda

but please play though each of them one at a time, stop and smell the flowers. it'll be a much better experience that way :)
Smash, Pokemon, Animal Crossing

User Info: Crystal_Dream

Crystal_Dream
1 month ago#24
MARSDUDE posted...
By the sounds of it, you'll be rushing most of those games. Why not buy them later on when there's a potential sale/preowned copy?

I can see why people would see it as "rushing" but it's not an accurate way to describe my play style. I like to do what I think is worth doing, so that usually just means the main story. If I go off the beaten path, it's usually because something else interests me, like getting a new weapon or clothes, or just playing to see a side story, then I'm willing to do that.

I mentioned in the opening post that I don't believe Nintendo Switch games go on sale often. In fact, don't sales usually specifically exclude Nintendo Switch games?
"Petals dance for our valediction and synchronize to your frozen pulsation...
Swirling wind sings for our reunion and 9.8 is my acceleration." - Mili

User Info: CODwiiiVIP123

CODwiiiVIP123
1 month ago#25
Get all 3 eventually but try to prioritize which ones you want to play first and play each game one at a time to completion (or at least as far as you're willing to complete each of them while still having fun doing it) as all 3 of these games require a LOT of time and dedication to get the most out of them and trying to juggle between these 3 behemoths of video games honestly would be quite overwhelming at the very least.
3DS FC: 4596-9726-4489

User Info: Pharsti01

Pharsti01
1 month ago#26
Crystal_Dream posted...
TL; DR - What I'm asking is, should I buy Odysessy and BotW, even though I'm getting XC2, even though I don't like 3D Mario or Zelda games?

As someone who stopped caring for Zelda after AlttP (only other Zelda i enjoyed somewhat was TP) i say give BotW a chance. It still follows some of the Zelda templates and tropes, but they changed the formula enough that its worth it.
Its not perfect, not even close, but its still a monumental achievement for a series that has been the same thing over and over.

As far as Odyssey goes... meh, im of the same opinion as you.
I enjoy the 2d Mario games to a degree, but the 3d ones have never "clicked" with me.
Odyssey was, so far, the worst one of all the 3d Marios i gave a chance... just dont go for it.
The game is completely designed of "padding"... the same mindless collectibles youd find in other games as a diversion are the sole thing in Odyssey, the platforming has no challenge and the enemies are scarce and only there for you to control, its ridiculously easy and boring.
Even though i didnt enjoy it at all i still managed to finish it in something like 12 hours with 400 moons, not a game i can recommend to anyone but an hardcore Mario fan.

User Info: Arcanine2009

Arcanine2009
1 month ago#27
Just wait until you beat the games you already have+xenoblade chronicles 2. Don't fall into the trap of having a huge backlog. Just stick with beating one game at a time or however much you can multitask(likely two).
Less is more. Everything you want, isn't everything you need.

User Info: Sethera

Sethera
1 month ago#28
BotW is different enough from previous entries that you might like it. Don't get Odyssey though. I absolutely love it but it doesn't seem like something you'll enjoy according to your posts.
The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
Freedom of speech is words that they will bend.

User Info: MARSDUDE

MARSDUDE
1 month ago#29
Crystal_Dream posted...
MARSDUDE posted...

I can see why people would see it as "rushing" but it's not an accurate way to describe my play style. I like to do what I think is worth doing, so that usually just means the main story. If I go off the beaten path, it's usually because something else interests me, like getting a new weapon or clothes, or just playing to see a side story, then I'm willing to do that.

I mentioned in the opening post that I don't believe Nintendo Switch games go on sale often. In fact, don't sales usually specifically exclude Nintendo Switch games?

They do sometimes go on sale, whether it's on the eShop or within retail stores. Some games get a deeper discount than others.
"Cool" - mariobro8

User Info: oldhbk76

oldhbk76
1 month ago#30
I'm personally waiting for Xenoblade chronicle 2
gamer tag SteelWolf76
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. Should I get Odyssey and BotW alongside Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or do I wait?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived