"JRPG's don't usually rate high with critics"

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. "JRPG's don't usually rate high with critics"

User Info: SkuIItuIakid

SkuIItuIakid
4 days ago#1
Ive heard people say this. Is it true?
Is persona 5 the highest rated JRPG of the last 10 or so years? It being at 93 I believe?

User Info: Ki_cat_

Ki_cat_
4 days ago#2
A lot of critics simply aren't JRPG fans so the tropes and staples are a bit off-putting.
People are afraid of what they don't understand.

User Info: Starwars4J

Starwars4J
4 days ago#3
SkuIItuIakid posted...
Is persona 5 the highest rated JRPG of the last 10 or so years? It being at 93 I believe?

Yeah if you could believe it, the highest rated jRPG in recent memory is only 93. Pretty sad the bias the western industry has against it.
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade

User Info: RomanGhost

RomanGhost
4 days ago#4
Starwars4J posted...
SkuIItuIakid posted...

Yeah if you could believe it, the highest rated jRPG in recent memory is only 93. Pretty sad the bias the western industry has against it.

93 is good, though.
GhostCenturion, in the internet flesh.

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
4 days ago#5
There's a very obvious link between popularity and review scores, games in more popular franchises consistently get more coverage and more favourable reviews. There's many possible interpretations from this, all the way from the heavily-conspiracy minded where such games have more money to pay reviewers for favourable coverage, down to the most innocent of coincidences where there's simply a highly likelihood that a reviewer selected randomly from the overall pool of gamers will be a fan of a popular franchise, but regardless of what theory you subscribe to, it's clear that the pattern exists.

Most JRPGs are designed, first and foremost, for Japanese players. They heavily feature cultural tropes and conventions that are popular with their Japanese audience. As such, they're not especially popular in North America, which usually leads to lower review scores. There are some exceptions, like Persona and Pokemon, but you'll notice those are also franchises that are very heavily popular in North America.

If we were having this discussion in Japan, we might be asking instead why Western RPGs always get such bad reviews, as in their market, the situation is reversed.
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - A psychological fantasy novel series, book 2 finally complete
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
4 days ago#6
If a critic even uses such a meaningless term as "J" RPG, you know they're biased against RPGs and should expect a low score. Said same reviewer would likely be biased in favor of non-RPG Action games that just so happen to feature some bare-bones RPG elements, and naturally give those a higher score than deserved.

User Info: Starwars4J

Starwars4J
4 days ago#7
RomanGhost posted...
Starwars4J posted...
SkuIItuIakid posted...

93 is good, though.

Sure it's good, but to be the highest score in the genre in over a decade? Yikes. You can't say the same about just about any other genre. wRPGs get much higher scores routinely...most genres do. But the classic and most highly regarded examples of the genre such as Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Xenoblade? The western media simply doesn't have the same passion that they do for shooters. That's why Persona was smart to pander to the dating sim audience as well to get the scores up.
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
(message deleted)

User Info: Blayshy

Blayshy
4 days ago#9
FZeroMaster posted...
The people who reviewed Persona were the outcasts of their respected publications.
Seriously, look it up, they are fanatic manchildren.
They had no standards whatsoever.

?????
Uh... A-Are you sure to interact with others?
-Mario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Bowser Jr. / Wendy, Duck Hunt, Marth, Mewtwo Mainer.

User Info: Tkmajing

Tkmajing
4 days ago#10
Most modern JRPG's like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Final Fantasy XV are garbage. Persona 5 is one of the few awesome JRPG's in the modern days.
You can't have a nightmare, if you never dream.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Switch
  3. "JRPG's don't usually rate high with critics"

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.