Loved FF 7, 8 and 9, didn't think much of 10, will I like 12?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Loved FF 7, 8 and 9, didn't think much of 10, will I like 12?

User Info: YbrikMetaknight

YbrikMetaknight
5 months ago#41
Yes, all the FFs except for the MMOs (and hell, I don't know, maybe FFXV? I haven't played it at all) are quite linear with regard to the story, because whether you veer off the path for a while or not, the story progresses in a straight line.

I think it's funny that someone listed FFVI among the most linear, when its final third (some would argue it's half the game, and maybe it is, but story-wise it feels like less) probably makes it the biggest exception to this rule. Almost the entirety of the World of Ruin is unstructured narrative, small stories in the lives of the characters from the World of Balance. At the beginning of the World of Ruin, you wake up as Celes, then you have to go recruit Edgar next, though you have two potential opportunities to do something that could be done later (recruit Sabin and do the first step of recruiting Terra), and then after recruiting Edgar, you must recruit Setzer and get the second airship. Once you do that, the whole world is open to you, and there are about a dozen or so optional events, about one per remaining character and more than that for a couple of them, that can still be tackled if you choose. The only remaining requirement is to climb Kefka's tower, which you can do with your bare minimum of three characters, Celes, Edgar, and Setzer, though apart from trying to do a challenge,
this feels a bit incomplete.
This makes late-game FFVI non-linear in ways that, frankly, very very few JRPGs have ever done, before or since.
Knowledge is power; power corrupts. Therefore, knowledge corrupts. Ignorance is bliss.

User Info: neo_auron2

neo_auron2
5 months ago#42
I am going to give it another shot but this is the first Final Fantasy game where i put it down and never came back to.

-Story didn't really draw me in and i didn't like them going away from turn based.

User Info: Tenchi UK

Tenchi UK
5 months ago#43
YbrikMetaknight posted...
This makes late-game FFVI non-linear in ways that, frankly, very very few JRPGs have ever done, before or since.

Dragon quest games outside of VII and VIII can have some pretty none linear segments, especially with DQIII and DQVI late game FFV and FFVI were probably the least linear FF has been, being made up of smaller self contained segments.
Pear into Peaches!

User Info: YbrikMetaknight

YbrikMetaknight
5 months ago#44
Tenchi UK posted...

Dragon quest games outside of VII and VIII can have some pretty none linear segments, especially with DQIII and DQVI late game FFV and FFVI were probably the least linear FF has been, being made up of smaller self contained segments.

DQ is something I've just never managed to get into. I played several hours of DQVIII, but I got Oooh Shiny'd by something and never went back. I've only played a few hours of IV and basically nothing of the rest of them.

Man, I've forgotten about FFV's non-linearity. I haven't played it since the GBA version (which I never finished) came out, and what was that, like 2005?
Knowledge is power; power corrupts. Therefore, knowledge corrupts. Ignorance is bliss.

User Info: drbretto

drbretto
5 months ago#45
bvillebro posted...
drbretto posted...
bvillebro posted...
A linear game simply means the process by which you must complete things in order to progress the storyline js fixed.

No. That's EVERY GAME.

Youve gotta branch outside the FF equation if you think this is the case for all games

Here, read this. Theres even other Square games that are discussed here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_gameplay

No, you gotta branch back into reality. Any game with a story has some degree of linearity. You're distorting the definition to the point that the word has no meaning anymore. Even open world games have a degree of this, so what point exactly do you think you're getting across here?

Evaluating FFXII on the scale of a FF game, or and RPG is absolutely appropriate. It is a FF game. And it is an RPG. And it's a FF and RPG that has more freedom of exploration and side content than most. It's actually a pretty decent early model of what open world games ended up being, which is that you progress on the story to open up new areas, which unlock more optional things to do if you want to, then you progress further to unlock the next area. Then, later on, more side content opens up in the older areas again. Etc, etc.

It is not possible to have an actual narrative without some degree of linearity. But that's like trying to make an argument that your shoes are made of matter. No s***. So is everything else. How is that a relevant point to anything we're talking about?

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
5 months ago#46
drbretto posted...
Evaluating FFXII on the scale of a FF game, or and RPG is absolutely appropriate. It is a FF game. And it is an RPG. And it's a FF and RPG that has more freedom of exploration and side content than most. It's actually a pretty decent early model of what open world games ended up being, which is that you progress on the story to open up new areas, which unlock more optional things to do if you want to, then you progress further to unlock the next area. Then, later on, more side content opens up in the older areas again. Etc, etc.

i mean, FFX already had done this 5 years prior, and FFVII had done this 10 years prior. The only difference is you had slightly less freedom during the main storyline of FFX, but that changes drastically once you get the airship. Even in FFVII, you could take breaks during the storyline to complete optional content, take on challenges, play minigames, obtain bonus characters etc

All three games feature exploring, new items and missions opening up in previous locations, side events unlocking content etc. FFX-2 actually does this more than FFXII, to the point where the missions you take on are actually consequential and may alter the long term rewards you get, or even the availability of later missions at all. FFXII gameplay wise is actually less linear than FFX-2, and in FFX-2 you can actually make decisions that alter portions of the storyline, party allegiance, and even character deaths

drbretto posted...
It is not possible to have an actual narrative without some degree of linearity. But that's like trying to make an argument that your shoes are made of matter. No s***. So is everything else. How is that a relevant point to anything we're talking about?

because you havent actually cited anything FFXII has that makes it an open game as opposed to other FF games, even ones that are being called linear. The only difference is the games you think are linear are just specifically hallways, and the games you think are non-linear really are linear
Learning something new everyday

User Info: Seifer02

Seifer02
5 months ago#47
Seraphor posted...
I'm always so sad that it appears fewer and fewer people love (or even have played) VI, which is my all-time favorite video game.

I like VI too, but it just doesn't have the same charm as the PS1 games for me.

You make me a sad Ronso.

I played 6 on the PS1 re-release. Nostalgia gets the better of people with these games and they ignore the weaknesses of said game. Don't get me started on the overpowered characters with abilities that are a chore just to unlock in the first place. I get that games have to start somewhere, but everyone knows 7 is the truly breakout game of the genre.
Played Suikoden 2 recently and found that to be just as memorable as FF 6.

User Info: uutrexx

uutrexx
5 months ago#48
I'm always so sad that it appears fewer and fewer people love (or even have played) VI, which is my all-time favorite video game.

I didn't like FFVI. It got boring after the Kefka battle in the snowy town where you start. Different strokes for different folks. However I did play it for the first time in 2014 so it was probably too late.

I was "ehh" on FFVII as well, it aged poorly. FFVIII and FFIX haven't aged nearly as bad for me. I felt awful when replaying FFVII two years ago because when I was younger FFVII was the best game ever. Now when I try to play it lacks the oomph it had before.
Uutrexx / Abelisk

User Info: GodXII

GodXII
5 months ago#49
FFXII is not linear 180° ( 180° means you can go left and right )
FFXII is 360° ( 360° means you can wonder around )

User Info: PPPPLAASSUMA

PPPPLAASSUMA
5 months ago#50
"From A to B: The story of FFX" Lots of IMOs in this post

IMO ff10 has a huge list of RPG no nos and things done in other games/narratives that people s*** all over, but when 10 did it, they don't/can't see it and will make every excuse to the contrary while still s***ting on all the things in other games that 10 did too.

It's the emperor's new clothes, basically. You can like a naked dude, that's fine, but don't tell me it's a man in beautiful robes and that's why you like it, when it's clearly an old naked dude.

I think that's what bugs me most about 10. I dont absolutely hate the game, I hate how overrated it is.

Most commonly I see people s*** on 13 while simultaneously praising 10.... what ohhh k???

10 has the most simplistic battle system of *any* FF. This is an indisputable fact. No ATB, no challenge. IMO it's "babies first RPG." Compared to every other game in the series besides 13, it has: little exploration, little customization, little gear variety in general, a limited bestiary full of mostly palette swapped enemies, and (even though this one is 100% subjective, IDC) it has some of the worst minigames ever conceived (blitzball not included, talking about lightning strikes, chocobo balloon races, catching butterflies, etc. all infuriating, not fun, and a waste of time, blitzball was all the game needed). Only thing I praise from FFX is the sphere grid. The one and only truly great idea in that game imo.

Comparing 10 to 12, for me, is like comparing a slick little speedboat on a river, to a huge cruise ship full of s*** to do on the ocean. One is good for the afternoon but you could live on the other.

On the open world "debate": First, the expression is "wildfire," spread like "wildfire" not wildflower, sorry but with the other stuff you're saying bvillebro I can't assume it's autocorrect. Every FF before 10 was an open world game, before open world what they called it. Literally the entire f***ing planet becomes available to you in these games (but not 10, never forget), it doesn't get more open than that. Remember the "overworld" in old JRPGs? Same damn thing as "open world", presented differently, but same concept. So then we have 12, which the entire goal of was to have the exploration 10 lacked (they said it not me), but get rid of *swish swish* random encounters and the overworld... so it still functions the same, just visually represented different, but because there's a black/loading screen its "linear" and not at all open world? At this point in gaming history, branching paths connecting large fields are the barest necessity to be recognized as open world, and that's what 12 is (that's what 15 is.... you can't go everywhere and the loading screens are hidden by tunnels etc. IIRC). GTA3 came out around the same time as 12 and it's map is surrounded by water and it's tiny. Open world. KoA map is exactly the same style as 12, it's marketed and seen as open world. There's not many people who are going to say 12 isn't open world/ish, and only one I know of who thinks it's linear. Bvillebro, by your logic, open world games do not have a plot and you wander around aimlessly and that's what makes them open world. What are you on?

I hope this next line of thinking helps you get it.... so If I took the map of Skyrim, right, an open world game we can all agree is open world, and connected a dozen more of the same sized maps; only there are loading screens between these maps because DUH tech limitations, its no longer open world? That is asinine and it's literally your only other argument besides "plot makes a game linear" - which makes not one bit of sense. Relativity means nothing apparently. The mechanism of realizing the concept overturns the concept itself? No.

Sorry if my sass ruins the gentlemanly atmosphere of the board but daaaamn man!
http://tinyurl.com/myofwa4 - Played Mystical Ninja 64? Click this.
The only games I want: Dark Souls III, Fallout 4, FFXV, Just Cause 3
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Loved FF 7, 8 and 9, didn't think much of 10, will I like 12?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived