Loved FF 7, 8 and 9, didn't think much of 10, will I like 12?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Loved FF 7, 8 and 9, didn't think much of 10, will I like 12?

User Info: Consayblue22

Consayblue22
5 months ago#1
For a bit of background, I played 7, 8 and 9 on the PS1. Loved them all with FF7 bring my favourite game of all time. I then didn't game for about 20 years and didn't get a console from PS1 until I got a PS4 last year. One of the first games i bought was FFX.

I couldn't wait to play it after missing out on it years. And, I haven't really enjoyed it. The characters and story just havent engaged me. I have played through a good bit of it as I hate playing games and not completing them. But I have gotten to a certain point and just don't want to go back and complete it. X-2 is almost certainly off the table for the same reasons.

Now, I am considering selling X and buying XII, will I enjoy it based on what I have liked and disliked previously in the series?

User Info: YbrikMetaknight

YbrikMetaknight
5 months ago#2
This game has a really different tone from all of those. X is honestly more similar to VII and VIII than anything else (maybe XIII), so I'm a little surprised you didn't like it.

If you liked the gameplay in those earlier games and hated the battle system in X because it's slow, this might be more up your alley. But you didn't mention the gameplay. Story-wise, this might be worth a shot, but no guarantees. Some people love the story and characters, some people hate them. It's a pretty polarizing entry to the series.
Knowledge is power; power corrupts. Therefore, knowledge corrupts. Ignorance is bliss.

User Info: khain37

khain37
5 months ago#3
Consayblue22 posted...
For a bit of background, I played 7, 8 and 9 on the PS1. Loved them all with FF7 bring my favourite game of all time. I then didn't game for about 20 years and didn't get a console from PS1 until I got a PS4 last year. One of the first games i bought was FFX.

I couldn't wait to play it after missing out on it years. And, I haven't really enjoyed it. The characters and story just havent engaged me. I have played through a good bit of it as I hate playing games and not completing them. But I have gotten to a certain point and just don't want to go back and complete it. X-2 is almost certainly off the table for the same reasons.

Now, I am considering selling X and buying XII, will I enjoy it based on what I have liked and disliked previously in the series?

That's a shame, I started with VII and it was my favorite for a while but X is my all time favorite.

Anyway on topic, XII is a bit different than the PSone games and X. I like the characters in XII although the first two you meet/control are kind of useless from a story standpoint. They basically act as a vessel to introduce you to the other characters. Combat is pretty cool. You only control 1 person at a time in a group of 3, but can switch between them and set AI logic to let them auto battle while you're not controlling them. You can switch characters in and out of your party mid fight like X but its real time action (similar to XIII and XV visually if you've seen any gameplay).

Doesn't have an open world map like VII - IX but its areas are a bit less linear than X.

I enjoyed it and the job system re-release has me excited. It's hard to tell if you will like it as the only thing you mentioned you didn't like about X was the story/characters wasn't engaging. Did you not like the turn based battle system? World layout? Leveling style?
FFRK RW:
Main: Alphinaud Deployment Tactics lvl 99 - FCv2; Alt: Eiko USB - Level 65 - Syzo

User Info: saint35

saint35
5 months ago#4
12 is drastically different then those games. Just try it for yourself and see how you like it. 12 has amazing gameplay because it removes a lot of tediousness that turn based RPG's have. Like how a lot of random enemies you can auto pilot through them very easily, but have to annoyingly keep spamming your same attacks to win against those easy enemies. FF12 you can just breeze through easy mobs easy and then when you get to challenging fights pause and issue any specific commands you need and continue on.
If you care about gaming support DRM Free practices! Buy DRM free when possible! http://www.defectivebydesign.org/faq#examples http://i.imgur.com/UfkilSG.gif

User Info: GodXII

GodXII
5 months ago#5
FFXII is not linear. Means you can go free where ever you want to go. FFX is linear, because it acts like a tunnel pipe, while FFXII is not.

FFXII is a mix of FFIX and Vagrant Story.

User Info: Magus80

Magus80
5 months ago#6
FFXII is even less of a traditional FF game since FFIX so you might not like it as much. The characters are mixed bag, Vaan and Penelo doesn't really contribute anything to the story and are just there for heck of it but others are good on par as most main protagonists. The plot is generally good until the halfway point when it starts to fall apart but I won't get into more specific details.

User Info: Seraphor

Seraphor
5 months ago#7
Well VII, VIII and IX are my favourites too, indifferent about X and I love XII.
Make of that what you will.

I think, in a similar way to how XIII and XV are drastically different evolutions of the series, so too are X and XII.

YbrikMetaknight
5 months ago#8
I'm always so sad that it appears fewer and fewer people love (or even have played) VI, which is my all-time favorite video game.
Knowledge is power; power corrupts. Therefore, knowledge corrupts. Ignorance is bliss.

User Info: Seraphor

Seraphor
5 months ago#9
YbrikMetaknight posted...
I'm always so sad that it appears fewer and fewer people love (or even have played) VI, which is my all-time favorite video game.

I like VI too, but it just doesn't have the same charm as the PS1 games for me.

YbrikMetaknight
5 months ago#10
Seraphor posted...
YbrikMetaknight posted...

I like VI too, but it just doesn't have the same charm as the PS1 games for me.

You make me a sad Ronso.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Loved FF 7, 8 and 9, didn't think much of 10, will I like 12?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived