Is Penelo the blandest party member in Final Fantasy history?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Is Penelo the blandest party member in Final Fantasy history?

User Info: DonkeyPunchJr

DonkeyPunchJr
2 months ago#1
Would you say that Penelo is the blandest and most pointless party member in MODERN (post-NES) mainline Final Fantasy titles? - Results (534 votes)
Yes
46.82% (250 votes)
No (please post your pick in comments).
53.18% (284 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Seems like the only reason she exists is to nag and mother Vaan. The only reason she comes with is because she doesn't want to be away from Vaan.

Like that is a good reason. "Sure, 16 year-old girl, come along with us as we risk our lives and slaughter mountains of imperial soldiers. That is a sensible alternative to staying in Rabanastre and working for Migelo!"

Ashe, the true main character, never even says a single word to her. Almost as if Penelo was forcibly inserted to fulfill some "teenage boy and his female childhood friend who might just discover they have feelings for each other" quota from upper management.

Does she even have a single important line of dialog after Bhujerba?
If you don't like the behavior you're getting, look at the behavior you're rewarding.

User Info: Jiyuu Falcon

Jiyuu Falcon
2 months ago#2
I can think of a few characters in FFVI who have absolutely no role in the main plot and less screentime than Penelo.

User Info: DonkeyPunchJr

DonkeyPunchJr
2 months ago#3
Jiyuu Falcon posted...
I can think of a few characters in FFVI who have absolutely no role in the main plot and less screentime than Penelo.

I wouldn't describe anybody in VI as bland. Except maybe Umaro. But at least he's a berserker yeti instead of a teenage girl.
If you don't like the behavior you're getting, look at the behavior you're rewarding.

User Info: AlekTrev006

AlekTrev006
2 months ago#4
DonkeyPunchJr posted...
Jiyuu Falcon posted...

I wouldn't describe anybody in VI as bland. Except maybe Umaro. But at least he's a berserker yeti instead of a teenage girl.

He probably means Gogo and Umaro - and let's be honest ....they (while cool in theme) do have less speaking lines and such, than even Penelo - lol. In fact, I don't even think Gogo speaks ? - if memory serves. They literally are in the story JUST to be "special characters" for your roster - they have no real backstory and no "major reasons" for opposing Kefka (other than the general "he's mean / he's bad - we gotta stop him" really generic reasoning) - but far, far, less than the other "real" / main heroes of the story.

User Info: SugarFlakes

SugarFlakes
2 months ago#5
No, Serah (FFXIII-2) is.
Fav Games: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn & Fates, Persona 5, Valkyrie Profile 2
Star Ocean 3 & 4, SM64 & Sunshine, DKC2, FFXII

User Info: Djoser2000

Djoser2000
2 months ago#6
SugarFlakes posted...
No, Serah (FFXIII-2) is.

LOL

User Info: Montblanc

Montblanc
2 months ago#7
No, she's not. Penelo is not the most interesting character in the series nor the one with the best design but as a supporting character she is just fine. Actually, as a character, she serves more purpose than Vaan - she befriends Larsa and thus represents a bridge between the conquered country and the Empire, plus she serves as a narrator in the epilogue and says something when she feels it is needed (plus, she is the only of the six protagonists to have her own actual theme, which is awesome btw.)
After Reks' death, Vaan tags along and serves as a device to stop Ashe from choosing the wrong path, that is getting revenge. That's all.

Gogo, Umaro, Mog, Gau (VI), Amarant (IX), Rikku, Kimahri (X) etc. are examples of similar characters with similar development and importance. They are never in the spotlight but they either have some importance like Penelo or are just there. And that's perfectly fine.
Favorite FF Games: XII > VI = IX >>> IV > X = Tactics Advance = II > X-2 = V = I

User Info: user420

user420
2 months ago#8
She's not even the blandest character in this game.
Go to work, send your kids to school, follow fashion, act normal, walk on the pavement, watch TV, save for old age, obey the law, repeat after me: I am free.

User Info: SugarFlakes

SugarFlakes
2 months ago#9
Djoser2000 posted...
SugarFlakes posted...
No, Serah (FFXIII-2) is.

LOL

*Shrugs*
Fav Games: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn & Fates, Persona 5, Valkyrie Profile 2
Star Ocean 3 & 4, SM64 & Sunshine, DKC2, FFXII

User Info: TritochZERO

TritochZERO
2 months ago#10
Most of the FF8 cast is pretty bland and static - Zell is the goofy jock, Selfie obnoxiously cheerful, Quistis the hot teacher etc... other than finding out they all grew up together they don't really develop in any way.

For me it's Cait Sith though, he only adds lameness to the story, he literally forces himself into the party against your will and then your group is all "hmm I think we have a spy, I wonder who it is"
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Is Penelo the blandest party member in Final Fantasy history?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived