Anyone else concerned with the fact that the bad guy is so weak?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 7: biohazard
  3. Anyone else concerned with the fact that the bad guy is so weak?

User Info: animacrossin

animacrossin
10 months ago#31
http://i.imgur.com/OAosoC6.png

Its called plot armor. Compared to the previous cast. Ethan is pretty nonathletic. He wins because the plot is written that way.
https://vimeo.com/179488491

User Info: Goldsickle

Goldsickle
10 months ago#32
fbplayer1064 posted...
Lots of average people know how to handle small arms in America.

Also police academy is mostly about learning procedures and avoiding situations that resort to violence.
If a cop got in a street fight he wouldn't really have any big advantage over the average guy.

The official guide also adds that Leon has a "calm demeanor" and "expert experience".

I don't think they ever specified what that "expert experience" was...
Martial arts maybe? He's more fit and faster to react than average people?
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)

User Info: Casual_Carnage

Casual_Carnage
10 months ago#33
Pffrbt posted...
ZeroPhoenix94 posted...
Not really. The Xenomorph becomes more resilient towards the flamethrower the more you use it, which in turn causes you to burn through more fuel in order to drive the alien away. So if you're not careful you could still find yourself in a very dangerous situation. The fact that the Xenomorph adapts to overcome your defenses makes it all the more threatening, flamethrower or no.

i went through the entire game just lightly spraying it whenever it showed up. it never adapted or became a threat.

also that game sucks

Yeah, off topic but that above guy is either very mistaken or lying.

There's a lot of interviews with the developers explaining the algorithms behind Alien: Isolations fantastic AI and nowhere did they write code for it to progressively resist the player's flamethrower. In fact, that would be a pretty grave sin against the franchise considering fire has always been a staple, reliable weapon vs Xenomorphs in the franchise.

The Alien AI's resistance to flamethrower is only related to the difficulty, not any adaptive algorithm.
Gaucho Pride
UCSB ATO Iota Nu Chapter
(message deleted)

User Info: Jonathan_F_G

Jonathan_F_G
10 months ago#35
animacrossin posted...
http://i.imgur.com/OAosoC6.png

Its called plot armor. Compared to the previous cast. Ethan is pretty nonathletic. He wins because the plot is written that way.

This, in response to the TC's topic question.
"Self-love begins the journey to freedom." - Jonathan Fernando Goldberg

Jonathan_F_G
10 months ago#36
Koncreet95 posted...
Well, that's kinda what I meant by "sort of". I'd put him up there with at least the level of David King.

I guess, yeah, by RE standards, he was an average person. But at the very least he had something like guns and combat training. By "average person" for Ethan, I think they meant that rather than being a cop and someone who's trained, he's more the dude that you'd run into who's been working retail all his life.

Ehh, I have much more faith in Kevin Ryman and David King as survivalists, than I do Leon S. Kennedy. Kevin is highly seasoned as a police officer with actual experience of aggression. He was originally tasked with training Leon. And also, Kevin is just as capable at firearm sharpshooting as Chris Redfield. Now while we don't know too much about David, one can certainly tell that his combat skills were honed through years of extensive training of some kind. With what we can gather, David can be considered a modern day samurai. Personally, I would put "Biohazard 2" Leon along the level of Mark Wilkins, due to his out of shape physical condition and stagnant state of mind. Had Mark worked at keeping his body in good shape, along with keeping his state of mind in fluidity, he would have been superior to Leon as a survivalist.

I understand your contrasting between Leon and Ethan. It makes sense. However, Leon was not larger than life either. His inexperience and naivete didn't allow for that.

User Info: GutsLCF

GutsLCF
10 months ago#37
Koncreet95 posted...
Well, that's kinda what I meant by "sort of". I'd put him up there with at least the level of David King.

I guess, yeah, by RE standards, he was an average person. But at the very least he had something like guns and combat training. By "average person" for Ethan, I think they meant that rather than being a cop and someone who's trained, he's more the dude that you'd run into who's been working retail all his life.

I know tons of people who aren't law enforcement and know how to handle weapons better then your average LEO. Leon was fresh out of the academy so his knowledge of weapons and combat might be fresh but were pretty minimal. Handling a gun for 6 months (roughly what the academy is anyways) isn't going to make you an expert. Especially that in that 6 months you learn a lot of stuff, all condensed and rushed.

I think it's funny that most people think cops and soldiers (80% of soldiers are POG's after all) are these experts in combat and firearms. Using firearms efficiently, like any weapon, is muscle memory, due to stressful situations. I can go shoot once a year and be really good at it, doesn't mean I will be able to reproduce those results under stress. There's a lot more to it then just going to the range but if you go regularly you learn the appropriate ways of handling a firearm and how to shoot. If you practice enough, it becomes muscle memory and when a situation arrives where you need to draw, that muscle memory comes into play.

I was in the army for a short while and my friend still is. If anything, it taught us that even basic combat troops are not that efficient. 7/8 combat troops failed their firearms combat tests when I was in. Same thing for my friend. In the CAF, most combat troops will shoot around once a year, sometimes more if they are lucky or get a tasking at the range. They get great training of course and learn how to manage stress but they don't always practice enough. Now, if they are about to get deployed they get a lot more training before the deployment and I can then assure you they are much more efficient then civilians ever will be when it comes to dealing with stress.

For the most part, actual combat soldiers with deployment experience under their belt will be better then any civilian in a firefight for sure. What makes the army so powerful though is not their "singular" skills, but the teamwork they have together. On their own, a basic soldier is still more efficient then a regular civilian though but your basic air condition technician or electrician or even mechanic isn't necessarily efficient and don't forget these guys are 80% of the military.

As for cops.. well I have a cop who shot herself in the leg practicing at the range I frequent. I shoot better groupings then a lot of them and don't go as often as I would like. After the academy, most cops don't regularly practice with their firearms. Some do though, and some are great shots as well. But for the most part, they are often even less efficient and safe with their firearms then someone who practices regularly once a month or so. As for Special Units inside the police, that's different and isn't most cops but obviously they are also more efficient, kind of like your soldiers.

Point is, a lot of people make the mistake to assume Law enforcement and military are these "experts" when it comes to firearms but they really aren't. Of course they know more then your average joe who has never handled a gun or handled one a few times in his life but plenty of civilians who shoot regularly could show some of these people a thing or two. Combat soldiers in general are probably much better then most civilians with practice for sure (even though I have seen many stressed out messes who probably shouldn't even handle a firearm at all) the rest of the army... not so much. This applies to cops as well, most of em, not so good at it.

User Info: Iokua

Iokua
10 months ago#38
Supersonichalo7 posted...
I can imagine Modern Chris going through the puzzles like this

*sees shadow puzzle*
*looks at the statuette*
*looks at wall*
*punches through the wall*

You're not giving him enough credit. Modern Chris would basically walk through the house kicking every single door down. He'd be out of the house before Jack returned from dealing with the cops at the start. s***, if we're assuming that Chris' reason for being on the property would be to deal with an outbreak or to find Jill, then he'd either show up absolutely armed to the teeth, or he'd show up to nothing because Jill handled everything before he got there.
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.

Jonathan_F_G
10 months ago#39
@GutsLCF

Great insight on the subject.

I love weapon use of all kinds. And I 100% support the 2nd Amendment. But all police and military personnel need to quit their jobs. Since time immemorial, they have been primarily responsible for all suffering in the world. More so than even politicians.

The following video talks about the meaning and purpose of the 2nd Amendment, concisely and in great detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diz-8FzHOLM

The gentleman conducting this presentation, Mark Passio.... More people need to know of this man.

User Info: TomoEK9

TomoEK9
10 months ago#40
wwefan4life2 posted...

Ethan doesn't get infected until he is taken away onto the ship, remember that is when he starts seeing hallucinations of Eveline.

Your arm is literally held in place with staples through the entire game. No person can have immediate use of a lost limb without some serious surgery.

For a wound like that to heal properly you would need to set the bones, reattach the nerves and go through years of therapy to regain use of that hand.

Ethan is clearly infected through majority of the game, which I think helps with him being able to take so much of the punishment he did. It may have hurt, but its not enough to slow him down if he has a low level of regeneration.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 7: biohazard
  3. Anyone else concerned with the fact that the bad guy is so weak?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived