Who is the most virtuous RE character?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 7: biohazard
  3. Who is the most virtuous RE character?

User Info: Jonathan_F_G

Jonathan_F_G
8 months ago#31
Mr_Mason_W2DS posted...
Jonathan_F_G posted...
If reality is a factor, then the most virtuous Biohazard/RE character, is any character that does not ascribe to collectivized erroneous dogmatic groups of any kind, such as the police, the military, government and pseudo-medical establishments. What these characters previously did in their pasts, would not count.

Do realize, I am a philosopher of sorts.

For me personally, their past actions are merely "tie breakers" because if I judge them on their abiding character alone, and exclude past lapses, pretty much 90% of the protagonists are shining paragons, and I would have a very hard time narrowing it down, even harder than I already had. Some happen to belong to those organizations you mention, but quite a few of those still have strong moral compasses and would not blindly follow those institutions if the orders were immoral. Resident Evil largely follows the story of exceptionally noble folks, as protagonists go. With the occasional outliers like Ada or Jake, who seem a bit more chaotic neutral.

The reason I say that the former endeavors (With the keyword being "former") of one's past would not count is because through moral and virtuous action, one can achieve redemption in the present and the remainder of life, as long as that person realizes that his/her previous action was immoral and wrong, all before willfully ceasing the action.

As for following orders, it can be fine and dandy, without the intent and act to violate. But if the agenda behind those orders is malevolent, then the former means nothing. In otherwords, one can mean to be virtuous when following orders, yet could very well be committing an immoral act, if the agenda is evil.

Let's take a look at Billy Coen, a main series Biohazard/Resident Evil protagonist:

Despite being a former United States Marine, prior to the events of Biohazard 0, he disobeyed orders and attempted to take physical action against his former military superior, because the agenda behind those orders was evil. That is both incredibly virtuous and courageous, considering how dangerous that action could have been to his well-being. Throughout the 2nd half of the game, we realize that Billy is remorseful, altruistic and righteous. He was not the "scum" that the pride of S.T.A.R.S. made him out to be.

I suspect he never joined a state or another federal organization of any kind, or became some poison drug pushing "doctor". If he didn't, then Billy is grounds for who is truly the most virtuous main series Biohazard/RE character. Yes, even more so than Piers Nivans, IF reality is a factor. If reality is not a factor, then yes, the pool would be much larger for narrowing characters. Claire Redfield may also be along the lines of Billy for most virtuous main series Biohazard/RE character because, Terra Save is a humanitarian group, that gives supportive aid within biohazardous hotspots and to its victims.
"Self-love begins the journey to freedom." - Jonathan Fernando Goldberg
(message deleted)
(message deleted)

User Info: Rose_Mage

Rose_Mage
8 months ago#34
Richard Aiken was a hero.

I know that everybody hates her, but right now, probably Sheva? They messed up so many characters...lol
Official Parvati and Beth of the SMTIV board, The_Sol_Blader's loving wife

User Info: jillsandwich89

jillsandwich89
8 months ago#35
Jonathan_F_G posted...
Mr_Mason_W2DS posted...
Jonathan_F_G posted...
If reality is a factor, then the most virtuous Biohazard/RE character, is any character that does not ascribe to collectivized erroneous dogmatic groups of any kind, such as the police, the military, government and pseudo-medical establishments. What these characters previously did in their pasts, would not count.

For me personally, their past actions are merely "tie breakers" because if I judge them on their abiding character alone, and exclude past lapses, pretty much 90% of the protagonists are shining paragons, and I would have a very hard time narrowing it down, even harder than I already had. Some happen to belong to those organizations you mention, but quite a few of those still have strong moral compasses and would not blindly follow those institutions if the orders were immoral. Resident Evil largely follows the story of exceptionally noble folks, as protagonists go. With the occasional outliers like Ada or Jake, who seem a bit more chaotic neutral.

The reason I say that the former endeavors (With the keyword being "former") of one's past would not count is because through moral and virtuous action, one can achieve redemption in the present and the remainder of life, as long as that person realizes that his/her previous action was immoral and wrong, all before willfully ceasing the action.

As for following orders, it can be fine and dandy, without the intent and act to violate. But if the agenda behind those orders is malevolent, then the former means nothing. In otherwords, one can mean to be virtuous when following orders, yet could very well be committing an immoral act, if the agenda is evil.

Let's take a look at Billy Coen, a main series Biohazard/Resident Evil protagonist:

Despite being a former United States Marine, prior to the events of Biohazard 0, he disobeyed orders and attempted to take physical action against his former military superior, because the agenda behind those orders was evil. That is both incredibly virtuous and courageous, considering how dangerous that action could have been to his well-being. Throughout the 2nd half of the game, we realize that Billy is remorseful, altruistic and righteous. He was not the "scum" that the pride of S.T.A.R.S. made him out to be.

I suspect he never joined a state or another federal organization of any kind, or became some poison drug pushing "doctor". If he didn't, then Billy is grounds for who is truly the most virtuous main series Biohazard/RE character. Yes, even more so than Piers Nivans, IF reality is a factor. If reality is not a factor, then yes, the pool would be much larger for narrowing characters. Claire Redfield may also be along the lines of Billy for most virtuous main series Biohazard/RE character because, Terra Save is a humanitarian group, that gives supportive aid within biohazardous hotspots and to its victims.

Billy also helps Rebecca even though it would benefit him not to. She works for an organization that wants to arrest him which would lead to him getting put to death. Really it would be smarter for Billy just to ditch her. He probably could have survived on his own okay. However, despite that, he works with Rebecca and helps rescue her even though he has no idea if she will turn him in or not. At the beginning of the game he probably thinks that she will even, but he still helps her. I love Rebecca, but she wouldn't have survived Zero without Billy or for that matter, RE1 without Chris but that is a different story.

I think Billy could very well be the most virtuous of the RE characters too.

User Info: SilverSoul14

SilverSoul14
8 months ago#36
For me that's Jill. She's the most selfless character. She almost got herself killed by protecting her partner.
I can't keep running away, I have to face the truth accept responsibility. That's the only way I'll ever remember. The only way I'll get my life back
(message deleted)

User Info: Leatherface

Leatherface
8 months ago#38
Jonathan_F_G posted...

And a pretentious dick.

I know people in the police, and a friend in the army. They put themselves out there and keep people safe. Something you don't have the balls to do when you badmouth them through a computer screen.

Not sure how the actions of doctors - literal healers - make them less virtuous. I guess we should condemn them for saving lives.

You're philosophy is BS, and you're pathetic.

User Info: deathtouch1809

deathtouch1809
8 months ago#39
jillsandwich89 posted...
Billy also helps Rebecca even though it would benefit him not to. She works for an organization that wants to arrest him which would lead to him getting put to death. Really it would be smarter for Billy just to ditch her. He probably could have survived on his own okay. However, despite that, he works with Rebecca and helps rescue her even though he has no idea if she will turn him in or not. At the beginning of the game he probably thinks that she will even, but he still helps her. I love Rebecca, but she wouldn't have survived Zero without Billy or for that matter, RE1 without Chris but that is a different story.

I think Billy could very well be the most virtuous of the RE characters too.

Billy would've died in more than one instance without her. One of those being unable to stop the train.

Ditto for Chris, in which she saves him twice: when he is poisoned and against Plant 42.

Although Rebecca is usually disregarded as a damsel, she actually plays the role of a savior more often than not. Jill on the other hand... I lost count on how many times she needed to be saved by someone else, and yet...

User Info: sbn4

sbn4
8 months ago#40
^ Agreed. I don't get how Rebecca gets the role of being a damsel but Jill is the strongest female in the series. And I bet many people who complain about Chris would do something pretty similar if something like that happened to them

To me, being "virtuous" is kind of boring.
"No man should fight any war but his own."
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 7: biohazard
  3. Who is the most virtuous RE character?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived