Toad rally sucks

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Run
  3. Toad rally sucks

User Info: awesomenintendo

awesomenintendo
11 months ago#21
mrshinypants posted...
I love the main game and I like toad rally but toad rally needs to be fixed so that you don't lose any toads if you lose. Considering that if your character and your toads are put up as a randomly generated opponent and you lose, you don't lose any toads when you log back in. It only makes sense that you shouldn't lose any toads when you are the loser either. The other issue I had if any of you have encountered it is that while playing the toad rally my Mario Run app froze. I waited a minute to see if it was a hiccup and then I just closed the app. As soon as I opened it back up I got a message saying that since I quit during a toad rally I have lost some of my toads. It's one thing to ding someone if they chose to quit but the game doesn't know the difference between a freeze and an oh crap I'm gonna lose so I'm just gonna close my app and only lose a toad rally ticket.

10000% disagree. Risk reward. Love it. Makes wanting to win even more desirable.

Leave it alone Nintendo.
Updated dream suite address is 4C00-001D-5C0B
Zelda like town with coolest Breath of the Wild mural by train station ever

awesomenintendo
11 months ago#22
Phifty2 posted...
I like toad rally. My only issue is the "ghost" of the other player can be confusing when it's on the screen with your character.

Though I think I like the ghost more than I do not like the ghost, this should maybe be an option? Hmmm, not sure, as part of the fun of the game is beating the other player!

User Info: BabyLuigiOnFire

BabyLuigiOnFire
11 months ago#23
The_Ninjadillo posted...

I don't see you contributing much to the thread.

I'm contributing to this thread more than "wtf is this thread" remarks. I can't contribute to this thread because I don't own the game so I don't have an opinion of Toad Rally aside from initial responses such as "eh".

Well at least when I called out your point, you elaborated on it, because your remarks sounds like it translates to "git gud", and that's not contribution, that's a condescending remark that tells users nothing.

The_Ninjadillo posted...

Ignoring the "my opinion is fact and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong" part, Mario is a game meant for gamers of all skill levels, and many Mario games in the past have had incredibly challenging late-game levels to do, so why can't Super Mario Run also include the risk-reward mechanic of Toad Rally?

And heck, even Splatoon, another bright and colorful game has a ranking system where you could lose rank, Mario Sports Mix (another Mario game) had a ranking system where you could lose points, etc... My point is that many Nintendo games have done it before.

It's tied to in-game unlocks such as new characters people are interested to play as and thus a selling point of this game, which Mario games rarely do at all otherwise as they're never really intended to be purely online competitive. The only other Mario game I know that ties unlocks exclusively due to winning competitive online matches with people is Mario Tennis Open, and you all know how well that turned out. Mario Sports Mix again does not have in-game unlocks tied to its offline play, so it doesn't factor into the equation. Splatoon is designed to be online-only, because literally everything else about the game is lacking and that single-player mode is tacked ton, so it's an unfair comparison to make. Even freaking Mario Kart, one of the most popular online Mario games, never had exclusive unlockables tied behind being lucky you got bad opponents online, so they understand that tying unlocks behind that is a bad idea.

I've read somewhere that Nintendo wanted Super Mario Run's single-player content not require to be connected to the internet but I don't know exactly where, but in case that's true, it furthers my point that the game wasn't designed exclusively for online competition.
I'm Baby Luigi's biggest fan, a rather cantankerous female.
Left 4 Dead 2 is the best Mario-based shooter.

User Info: The_Ninjadillo

The_Ninjadillo
11 months ago#24
Phifty2 posted...
I like toad rally. My only issue is the "ghost" of the other player can be confusing when it's on the screen with your character.

You can disable it by clicking the Mii in the top right corner.

BabyLuigiOnFire posted...
I'm contributing to this thread more than "wtf is this thread" remarks.

Considering you didn't directly talk about Toad Rally itself (whether you were in a position to or not), which was the main point of the topic, I wouldn't quite say that.

BabyLuigiOnFire posted...
It's tied to in-game unlocks such as new characters people are interested to play as and thus a selling point of this game, which Mario games rarely do at all otherwise as they're never really intended to be purely online competitive.

Nowhere does TC talk about being dissatisfied with the unlock system.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/TheLlamaKing
I make levels in Mario Maker sometimes.

User Info: BabyLuigiOnFire

BabyLuigiOnFire
11 months ago#25
The_Ninjadillo posted...

Considering you didn't directly talk about Toad Rally itself (whether you were in a position to or not), which was the main point of the topic, I wouldn't quite say that.

Well, neither did any of those posters who resorted to ad hominem rather than discussion. I mean, you're better off than them, but those people who said "TC can't be 28" are horrible and deserve to be called out on.

The_Ninjadillo posted...

Nowhere does TC talk about being dissatisfied with the unlock system.

It's still a possible reason he chooses himself to suffer through that mode. If that mode isn't required to unlock any characters, he can simply choose not to play it, simple as that, hence why I avoid games with those type of losing points or whatever. I don't know if his original intention was to troll people or rustle jimmies up or whatever when he can not play this mode if unlocks aren't tied behind it but the point is, I'd be pretty pissed if I found out I'm required to play this hair-tearing mode to unlock content and I'd probably rant about it in a similar way if I was in his situation.

Hell, he even said he enjoyed the mode, he just hated the competitive aspect of it and he wants an option for it to be not competitive.

Finally, your entire post runs under the assumption that people need to be good at the game in order to enjoy a game when that's not true at all, and that attitude is rather elitist. Plenty of people aren't good at Mario and they still enjoy it. Same with Toad Rally. I don't think becoming good at the game would necessarily erase some of the problems you might have with it.
I'm Baby Luigi's biggest fan, a rather cantankerous female.
Left 4 Dead 2 is the best Mario-based shooter.

awesomenintendo
11 months ago#26
The_Ninjadillo posted...
You can disable it by clicking the Mii in the top right corner.

Oh wow! Cool!

User Info: mrshinypants

mrshinypants
11 months ago#27
awesomenintendo posted...
mrshinypants posted...
I love the main game and I like toad rally but toad rally needs to be fixed so that you don't lose any toads if you lose. Considering that if your character and your toads are put up as a randomly generated opponent and you lose, you don't lose any toads when you log back in. It only makes sense that you shouldn't lose any toads when you are the loser either. The other issue I had if any of you have encountered it is that while playing the toad rally my Mario Run app froze. I waited a minute to see if it was a hiccup and then I just closed the app. As soon as I opened it back up I got a message saying that since I quit during a toad rally I have lost some of my toads. It's one thing to ding someone if they chose to quit but the game doesn't know the difference between a freeze and an oh crap I'm gonna lose so I'm just gonna close my app and only lose a toad rally ticket.

10000% disagree. Risk reward. Love it. Makes wanting to win even more desirable.

Leave it alone Nintendo.

I didn't pay $10 bucks to compete against a ghost and lose my hard earned toads.

I disagree with you in that Nintendo needs to fix this issue.

I don't play any multiplayer games. I have been playing VG's for over 30 years now and I never cared to play anything with anyone else. I have always been a solitary one player gamer so for me Mario Run is broken and extremely irritating since it was falsely advertised to some extent.

User Info: SenorGauntlet

SenorGauntlet
11 months ago#28
I didn't pay $10 bucks to compete against a ghost

hard earned toads.

But that's how you earned the toads. It's a multiplayer portion of the game. No one is forcing you to play it that aspect of it. The new Doom game has a brilliant single-player campaign. It also has a multiplayer mode. Certain things can only be unlocked in multiplayer, but the single-player experience isn't affected by it in any way. Barring unnecessary character unlocks, the same concept applies here.

Nothing was deceptively advertised. Toad Rally and its value are clearly explained in the free version of the game, too. An inability to perform isn't anyone's fault but your own.
strike a pose
http://i.imgur.com/logkNxA.gif

User Info: Super_Shadow323

Super_Shadow323
11 months ago#29
The only thing I really dislike about Toad Rally is how the game pauses when you enter coin rush. That messed me up too many times.

It is also a bit annoying when it keeps placing you against people with thousands of Toads more than you because you know they'll probably do better. At least you can just reset the game.

I unlocked all three characters in about half a day and it was an okay experience.
3ds FC: 4957-5484-9329
Ign: Cason

User Info: rini124

rini124
11 months ago#30
I really wish you didn't lose Toads from it. I was most interested in Kingdom Builder to begin with as I'm just not very good with touch screen games (as simple as they are it just tends to make me panic more) and I will never actually get the required amount of Toads needed to get all the items. I would need at least 2,000 Red and 1,000 of the other four to get things and I rarely manage to win.

If it had to be a risk to lose Toads at a chance of earning more, that's one thing, but this being the only way to get them just makes it frustrating to people who may just want to play it casually and not be very good at extreme coin gathering
~*Jen*~ - 3DS Friend Code: 3737-9519-1063 (Jennifer)
PSN: rini124, Xbox 360: Princcesss Jen, Wii: 2275 9197 2602 2533, Wii U: Princess.Jen
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Run
  3. Toad rally sucks

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived