Programing Tips for a New Player?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Carnage Heart
  3. Programing Tips for a New Player?

User Info: RoninMunky01

RoninMunky01
9 years ago#1
I know this board is practically dead, but I might as well try.

I recently got this game used and it did not come with the tutorial disc or any manuals. Pretty much I've been playing this game by just testing things out. Is there a website somewhere that goes into an in depth explanation as to what each chip does? I've tried Googling but I haven't come across any good sites (just sites with program recipes). I mean some of the programming chips are pretty straight forward (move forward, scan for enemies, etc), but there are some that I simply don't know what they do (Counters, signals, time checks?)

I thought someone here could give me some pointers. The game seems really interesting and I'm enjoying just toying around with the software option. Just wanted to know if there is someone out there could go over some basics or direct me to a good website that talks about good programing. I'm just starting to feel a little overwhelmed.

And yes, I've checked the FAQ's here. I don't really want software recipes that other people made. I just need some programing tips. Thanks!
Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens

User Info: Armaced

Armaced
9 years ago#2
Did you get both discs? The second disc should be entirely tutorial. Also, you could check out http://carnageheartdepot.blogspot.com/ for some programing ideas and forums.

This is my favorite program. It is called the Gekko 8, and it has won many awards (not sure which ones). It is designed for a two legged OKE with a shotgun as the primary weapon and rockets as the secondary weapon. Even with cheap parts, this one tears through the opposition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CarnageHeart_Gekko-8.png

I will try to update later with the meaning of some of the special chips you mentioned. It has been a while since I have played and I want to be sure of what I say to avoid confusion.
|Weighted Companion Cube; Character Battle 2008|
A vote for WCC is a vote for pancakes.

RoninMunky01
9 years ago#3
No...unfortunately, I got this game with just the game disc (no manuals, strategy guide, nothing = /). I assumed I could get by by just testing things out...boy what a mistake. But I can't complain, I got it for $7 from a friend selling a bunch of old games.

Anyway, I've checked the carnageheart depot website (it was one of the first few websites I searched and visited). I looked at some of program recipes and studied them to see what the software did. It was a good thing to look over to get a feel of how programs should be created, however, there were some chips that wasn't too self explanatory and I didn't know what they did (i.e. Send Signal, receive signal, Time Check, Counters, Conduct arithmetic operation, etc) .

But, man...if you could explain those special chips in greater detail and maybe some small examples, you will be my savior! Thanks a lot!

User Info: Armaced

Armaced
9 years ago#4
OK, here is what the manual says about those chips:

* Send Signal: Sends a signal of one of five colors over one of the channels 1-5. Naturally, a signal that is sent can also be received by the OKE that sent the signal.
* Receive Signal: Receives a signal of one of five colors over one of the channels 1-5. Processing will branch when the signal is received
**Note from the manual regarding the signal chips: These chips may be the most difficult to use of all of the chips. A signal of one of five colors can be sent over channels 1-5. This chip may be used for sending a signal if the damage to the OKE exceeds a certain value, to call in other OKEs for assistance or for other purposes.

* Time Check: A count is started at the start of battle and this chip checks to see if the count is greater or less than a value in the range from 2-200 seconds. This chip has many uses such as for firing off the remaining missiles randomly with only 10 seconds remaining.

* Counters:
** 123...: This chip executes one of the five arithmetic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, or assignment using the specified number and one of the variables A through E. Here, "assignment" refers to setting the value of the variable to the specified number.
**123?: Branches to a certain command when one of the variables A through E becomes greater than or less than a certain value in the range from 1-100. Used wisely, a counter can be used instead of the status check commands.

Note from personal experience I used the counters to assign roles to my OKE's. The overall plan was to have the OKEs fan out, then herd the opposition into a corner and open fire with the rockets. To do this, I would have the OKE first check if there was a friendly to the right. If not, then it would assign a value of "1" to the counter. If there was a friendly to the right, then it would check to see if there was one on the left. If not, then it would assign a value of "3" to the counter. If there was an OKE on either side, then it would assign a value of "2" to the counter. Using this logic, I was able to have the OKEs identify themselves as 1,2, and 3 counting from the right to the left. If the counter was "1", then it would tend to jump right when passing objects. If the counter was "3", it would tend to jump left, and if the counter was "2", it would randomly jump right or left.
|Weighted Companion Cube; Character Battle 2008|
A vote for WCC is a vote for pancakes.

User Info: emperorrob

emperorrob
9 years ago#5
Counter chips can also be pretty useful for keeping your OKEs from getting stuck in a loop such as dodging or firing continuously. The example program in the manual shows an OKE that fires after dodging so many times (If I remember correctly) to keep it from letting the opponent always stay on the offense. I've used the counter chips similar to the way Armaced has, as a status.

The signal chips definitely are the most difficult to use because they create a "race condition" similar to multi-threaded programming where 1 OKE might get the signal a little earlier than the other 2. But they can still be used effectively. You just have to think through your design thoroughly.

RoninMunky01
9 years ago#6
You guys are awesome...thanks! If you guys have any additional tips for a newbie, please feel free to add on.

Thanks, again!

User Info: emperorrob

emperorrob
9 years ago#7
One thing to make mention of that will help you during testing is the cpu graph in the upper-right corner of the screen when you do a field test. It will actually show you which chips are being evaluated/processed as your OKE operates. This is really good for finding trouble spots and infinite loops.

You'll find that some ideas will work better with different types of OKEs. Shooting 90 degrees left and right works really well for multileg OKEs, as an example.

Other than that expirement and ask questions here. We'd love to answer b/c this board is usually dead :)

User Info: bhpchan

bhpchan
9 years ago#8

I got this game not long ago too, but I paied extra for a complete copy... I am still slowly reading through the strategy guide which has been quite good, but you are not missing that much not having the second disc. It doesn't contain anything regarding the programming side of things.

Here is a particularly interesting tip from the guide regarding usage of counters: Loop over projectile check at a search range of 50m, incrementing a counter each time it detects something, moving to evasive action when the counter goes above a particular value. This lets you know if a projectile is approching your OKE.

In terms of channels, the guide mentioned using it to send commands to other OKEs, e.g. when one is attacking with landmines or other scattered weapons, order the other OKEs to atack in sequence to widern the coverage!

This game is awesome!!!

1. Boards
  2. Carnage Heart
  3. Programing Tips for a New Player?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived