How important is class leveling?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior VII
  3. How important is class leveling?

User Info: StarryKnights

StarryKnights
2 years ago#21
Greatly changing FFVII to suit whatever thing SquareEnix thinks is cool nowadays would be suicide to the whole project. People will come to relive an improved version of the original, not a whole cloth new game with lazy and half-assed attempts at tying it to the original.

The times when you have to completely redo a system, like DQVII's class system, are far and few between. Graphical and gameplay enhancements, as found in Dragon Quest III, seem to be the more logical course for FFVII-R to take.

But yeah, SquareEnix knows how to ruin beautiful things. They learned from EA...
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." ~ Leonard Nimoy

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
2 years ago#22
StarryKnights posted...
Greatly changing FFVII to suit whatever thing SquareEnix thinks is cool nowadays would be suicide to the whole project. People will come to relive an improved version of the original, not a whole cloth new game with lazy and half-assed attempts at tying it to the original.

The times when you have to completely redo a system, like DQVII's class system, are far and few between. Graphical and gameplay enhancements, as found in Dragon Quest III, seem to be the more logical course for FFVII-R to take.

But yeah, SquareEnix knows how to ruin beautiful things. They learned from EA...

Unless they're going back to old notes. Recall that both FF3 and FF4 added a ton of content, and slightly altered certain elements to better fit the original storylines as they had planned, but could never implement due to time and budget constraints.

FF7, more than any other game, suffers most greatly from too many ideas. It's an amazing concept, and has a ton of great moments, but most of what really sold it is the right time, and the perfect storm of flawless marketing where magazines where just eating it up. Afterall, it was such a drastic jump from FF6, and they kept talking about it like it was the Opera House...all the time. Every single blog and interview I've ever seen suggests they had a LOT of content coming in from all over their dev teams, and various development elements. There are parts of Takahashi, parts of Sorya Saga, parts of Sakaguchi's original script (remember, this game has actually had 3 separate scripts, and they're all mashed up together, various elements of them, into one game), and parts of where the game went as they developed as Kitase created the eventual full script and game design.

So I don't think for a second they'll pull a "screw the fans, we'll do what they want," more like, "we had a more complete and comprehensive script concept that was never able to properly develop due to limitations in time and budget, but now we can really fill in those gaps, and close those loopholes by adding in those elements we weren't able to before."

That seems to be how SE approaches remakes. That I'm fully open to and I fully accept.

However, they would have to completely rework elements from even their original script and ultimania and interview reveals, to fit in any of the side games they already created, that completely rewrite the original game by creating wholly new content. This includes, though to a lesser extent, Crisis Core (probably the least offensive and original story altering FF7 side story). I only hope they ignore anything created to allow such horrible elements like Dirge of Cerberus.

I'd even go so far as to say...let's pretend that any element that is required to allow for Advent Children is classified as profane, and as such, is ignored.
FAQ status - DW3 GBC (97%), DQ4 DS (10%), DQ4 solo DS (60%), DQ5 DS (20%), DQ6 DS (85%), DQ7 3DS (10%), FF4 DS (47%)

StarryKnights
2 years ago#23
Crisis Core is inevitable because it's a prequel and serves to give substance to Sephiroth. The rest...eh.

I'm not opposed to the remake process you described, either. Certainly the remakes of the Dragon Quest series were handled gently, lovingly, but...

Well, Jim Sterling says it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DGSR7ZY_sU

Modern SquareEnix tries too hard, gets lost in the complexity and we end up with something unmemorable at best and offensively so at worst. The original FFVII was complex, but refined. They knew where to give up with the resources they had. The same limitations and pressures do not encapsulate the creation process of FFVII-R. The hope here is that the original team is working on it. If they consider the source material sacred, then the product will be the best it can be. Otherwise...eh. SimCity 2013, anyone?
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." ~ Leonard Nimoy

behindtheword
2 years ago#24
Well, in a further bit of good news, Kitase is working as Producer. Given interviews about game development, Producers are far more on-hand and directly involved with development, than say, producers in Hollywood. An editor for a book sounds closer to the mark.
FAQ status - DW3 GBC (97%), DQ4 DS (10%), DQ4 solo DS (60%), DQ5 DS (20%), DQ6 DS (85%), DQ7 3DS (10%), FF4 DS (47%)

StarryKnights
2 years ago#25
People are freaking out about Nomura being the director. Thoughts?

behindtheword
2 years ago#26
I'm not a fan of Nomura, but FF7 was his initial offering as a core Square member. Both taking over the role of art director, and apparently having some influence on some of the ideas that went into the game scenarios. Given Agito is actually good, and TWEWY was amazing, it is clear he has talent. He's just too much of a perfectionist, indecisive, and his artistic style is horrible and as generic as it gets. His one claim to uniqueness is his propensity for belts, and clear understanding of the importance of uniforms in relation to particular jobs, from military to clergy/priests. The one problem is his lack of coherence when it comes to unstructured society, and lack of consistency, or propensity to go overboard, such as making people either too dirty, or too individual and unique. At least FF7's artistic style is already worked out and finalized, so any extra details will be minor, and requires limited focus.

FF7's art style is already established, and the core game storyline, and all the various elements not included in the original build are all present, likely intimately known by him because both Kitase and Nomura were so key to the development of the original, I'm not as worried. For both of them, this was the game that defined both Kitase and Nomura in RPG history and legend. If anything I think he'll treat it as his baby and stay true and close to the origins.

My one worry is that while Nomura is a perfectionist who is willing to stretch out projects almost into infinity, Kitase is almost as bad with time management. The only thing that seemed to keep him on schedule was Sakaguchi's incessant need to remain on schedule and to keep people motivated while they worked for him.

I hope this won't stretch into 2018. However, again, the core story is already present, and they've a lot of notes to work on, then refine, meaning far less work going into development. So I expect 2016 at the earliest, 2018 at the latest.

StarryKnights
2 years ago#27
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZS80PC2?tag=gamenetw0e-20

<_<

User Info: j mcdermid

j mcdermid
2 years ago#28
$60 for a remake of a mediocre 18 year old game.

Better be some major improvements to warrant that price.

behindtheword
2 years ago#29
Square Tax...we do it bigger and badder than Atlus.

StarryKnights
2 years ago#30
What's your opinion of the Final Fantasy series as a whole? I have my doubts you enjoy it like you do the Dragon Quest series, but I'm curious.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior VII
  3. How important is class leveling?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived