This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hey peoplez, why is the "black" label so much better than greatest hits?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Hey peoplez, why is the "black" label so much better than greatest hits?

User Info: Shenti_Reborn

Shenti_Reborn
8 years ago#1
I have the latter. SO what, I still bought it when it came out. Wait, no, no, I didn't, lolz, 'cause I remember I got FF8 and FF7 at the same time. Well, a year af...no damn, it was way longer than a year after it came out.

Huh, hmm, that's funny, you ever like, type, and then realize something as you type? But instead of deleting it, you keep it in there so it's like you were really talking? Because IRL, you can't hit backspace. Y'know what I mean?

I do that a lot. Anyway, I just realized why my copy was the greatist hits label, but now to the main question: why is it worth less?

It's the same damn game. To be honest, I could probably guess why. "OMG THE BLACK ONE CAME OUT FIRST GUYZ, ITS OLDER GUYZ, WHICH MAKES IT BETTER GUYZ...HAY GUYZ....GUUUUYYYZ..."

Silly, if you ask me. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't intend on selling it, but I was just CURIOUS as to why mine was not worth as much as some other dude's.
(Official White Rapper of PotD)
myspace.com/0nyte / youtube.com/zeronightx

User Info: atro city

atro city
8 years ago#2
My guess is the Greatest Hits version is a lot more common. In fact, I believe all the copies of FF VII I had were the GH version.
*pokes this user*|
******************\|/

User Info: omgoxyclean

omgoxyclean
8 years ago#3
first editions of a collectible are worth more than reprints. people pay more for the black label for the satisfaction that comes with having the first edition of the game. it has nothing to do with FFVII as a game, but as a collector's item.

User Info: _King_Trunks_

_King_Trunks_
8 years ago#4
Several reasons:

1) Black Label means they are no longer in production. Ever. They won't make any more black label games. That's the point of the Greatest Hits. There's way more copies.

2) Black Label typically means you had the game before all the fanboys rushed in and raped it (unless you're so much of a fanboy you have to pretend like you were there first. We can always tell you guys apart though, "lo guiz i has blak laybell vershun nawt duh dump green 1").

3) Black Label is original. Greatest Hits is not.

4) Black Label is a collectible. Greatest Hits is not. Sure, they may be the "same" game, but is an ancient Chinese vase the same as a modern Chinese vase? No, it is not.

5) Some Black Label cases have different words (such as a typo that was not found on the Greatest Hits version, if I remember right) and images on them. The Greatest Hits versions are the same.

6) To some degree, Black Label means older. Older means better quality. Mass production is the reason for this ---> as cost of production goes down, so does overall quality (this does not apply to everything, so don't jump on me for it).

7) Finally, and this is the magic number -- Black Labels don't have ugly ass green stripes on their beautiful cases. Greatest Hits versions do.

/end point
Topics tend to die after I post in them...
`·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.·´¯`·.·«• _King_Trunks_ •»·.·´¯`·.·´¯`&m

User Info: Shenti_Reborn

Shenti_Reborn
8 years ago#5
^ Alrighty, I get it, but you know you could cut your topic into like 11/12s if you remove all the opinions.
(Official White Rapper of PotD)
myspace.com/0nyte / youtube.com/zeronightx

User Info: hermitmaster

hermitmaster
8 years ago#6

^ Alrighty, I get it, but you know you could cut your topic into like 11/12s if you remove all the opinions.

I see way more fact than opinion in that post. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 are indeed facts or contain facts while 7 is an opinion.
What is a sig? A miserable little pile of letters!
But enough talk, have at you!

User Info: hermitmaster

hermitmaster
8 years ago#7
Sorry, DP.
On a side note, go compare prices of first edition books to reprints, there is a vast price difference.
What is a sig? A miserable little pile of letters!
But enough talk, have at you!

User Info: SolidKnight

SolidKnight
8 years ago#8
I don't have a black label. I played a friend's game when it was released then bought it a few years later.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Hey peoplez, why is the "black" label so much better than greatest hits?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived