This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you pronounce Mako?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. How do you pronounce Mako?

User Info: TsunamiRoar

TsunamiRoar
7 years ago#1
For my entire life, I've pronounced it "May-ko"

But I was reading a comic with a character named Makoto, and is shortened to Mako...if that's the case...is it pronounced "Mah-ko"?

Okay, sorry if this is a stupid question, but an answer would be appreciated.
Most anticipated scene if they ever remake FFVII, Yuffie kissing Cloud.

User Info: fusespliff

fusespliff
7 years ago#2
I always pronounced "Mah-ko" as well. But that's mostly because in my native language we pronounce the "A" like that all the time.
Is that a hobbit?...No,that's a hobo and a rabbit..............but they're making a hobbit.

User Info: swiftbolters

swiftbolters
7 years ago#3
I always thought it was Maaa - Ko (if this makes any sense) sort of underlining it's inherent power by a drawn out pronunciation

User Info: Sefirosu200x

Sefirosu200x
7 years ago#4
Up until DoC, I pronounced like the shark, "May-ko", but in DoC they revealed that it's in fact "Mah-ko", so I go with that now.
Most life changing video ever - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqAsU2C20I&feature=channel_page

User Info: Jiyuu Falcon

Jiyuu Falcon
7 years ago#5
Mah-ko. In the japanese version, it's actually written in kanji (actually, I believe you can also see this somewhere in the US version, maybe the vehicle demo inside Shin-Ra Bldg.?), so I assume it's an actual Japanese word.

PS: the "Mako" in Mako Shark is also pronounced mah-ko.

User Info: reno385

reno385
7 years ago#6
It's mah-ko, if it was pronounced may-ko it would be spelled meiko. But I like the may-ko pronunciation better.
If you had told me 5 years ago that I could play Spyro the dragon and Final Fantasy 7 while on the toilet, I'd have said you were mad. And then god gave us PSP.

User Info: TsunamiRoar

TsunamiRoar
7 years ago#7
Mah-ko...that just seems weird...Oh well, time for the self induced brain-washing.
Most anticipated scene if they ever remake FFVII, Yuffie kissing Cloud.

User Info: markaudette28

markaudette28
7 years ago#8
Right. Like everyone else said, it's pronounced Mah-ko. Or Mock-oh.

Ever since 1997, I also pronounced it May-ko up until I bought Final Fantasy XII and watched the "History of Final Fantasy" video. The narrator pronounced it "Mah-ko", which surprised me.

What else surprised me is Bastok is pronounced Bas-took and not Bass-tock.

Bahamut was pronounced Baha-moot.

Hmm.

User Info: fusespliff

fusespliff
7 years ago#9
Seems so far, i am the only one who has always pronounced it Mah-ko.

Bahamut was pronounced Baha-moot.

How else would you pronounce it?
Is that a hobbit?...No,that's a hobo and a rabbit..............but they're making a hobbit.

User Info: Ahribar

Ahribar
7 years ago#10
Seems so far, i am the only one who has always pronounced it Mah-ko.

I assure you, you're not.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. How do you pronounce Mako?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived