The remaster of Final Fantasy X is terrible, this is the definitive edition.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X
  3. The remaster of Final Fantasy X is terrible, this is the definitive edition.

User Info: Designer_FF

Designer_FF
3 months ago#1
I bought myself the HD remaster of FFX/FFX-2 for steam and I'm amazed at how terrible the remaster is, I mean the backgrounds in the game look fine but oh my god how could they do that to the character faces!?? In the original Yuna is so pretty and sweet and just so nice to look at, also Tidus looks so lively and cheerful, one of the best aspects of the game that makes you feel more engaged with the characters and the story is to look at how the characters react at each event and moment and how their expressions change. Everything is lost in the so called "remasters" though as all of them look expressionless, bland, ugly and with stretched robot faces.

All of the bonus features in the world and the HD resolution can't make up for such dreaded flaw that completely ruins the game experience. I only feel bad for those younger players that have no means to access the ps2 version and a CRT in order to experience this game as it was intended at least one time in their lives.

Now really, how hard is it to make a HD remaster without messing up the character models? And the worst thing is that any new future remaster that comes based on this game will be based off the HD remaster instead. Shame, such a beautiful and compelling game, with so much potential for a real HD version. Well, I guess I'll have to stick to my ps2 original version.

Your thoughts?

User Info: PlayerAdvantage

PlayerAdvantage
3 months ago#2
Designer_FF 2020

User Info: Designer_FF

Designer_FF
3 months ago#3
PlayerAdvantage posted...
Designer_FF 2020

What does that mean?

User Info: FFXsaves

FFXsaves
3 months ago#4
Everybody has their own opinions as to what is passable v. not but you may be exaggerating the damage done to "future players" experiences by, admittedly, sub-optimal facial rendering.

First, there ARE mods for the PC version where people have made the differences less jarring. Though, key to this is the PRIOR knowledge you have of what it was/should? be.

Second, there are mucho improvements on the PC edition. Speed ups/encounter increases have made grinds/challenge runs supremely more tolerable.
I think the interface has a welcome fresh coat of paint as well. (the original is very garrish IMO)

Third, the extra content is hardly a "throw in." It makes X far more interesting beyond the general story line. And Monsters made X2 an actual enjoyable experience for me.

Forth, I'm wondering if you aren't misremembering just how "good" X looked on a CRT. The only CRT still worth it's weight (quite literally) to me is the old XBR series Sonys. Unless there is a magical difference between rendering chips in an original Ps2 versus the 2nd gen I'm rolling, there is a pretty wide chasm in fidelity between the Ps2 and the Pc Remaster. YES the faces are "off" and they didn't go hog wild prettying up much of the fiends or the backgrounds. But overall, it IS better looking just the differences between the best and the worst thing rendered on screen are greater thus more noticeable.

I have owned
3 Ps2 versions including Int.
2 Ps3 versions.
Ps4 version.
PC version.

I have ridden the incremental improvement train to death and can see the differences between each uprez edition and step.

I think it's a little too dramatic to suggest the entirety of one of the best video game/RPG stories of all time is made pointless because some faces are a little too doll like during (admittedly) a few key moments in the journey.

Yuna's speech in front of Y and perhaps the unveiling @ Home are about the only times it shakes up the narrative.

And if that's enough to knock the player out of it, I'm wondering if they were paying enough attention during the pilgrimage in the first place.

The new model faces, and remastered music, and slight mechanical differences (looking at you slow Lulu Fury!) are far less ruinous to new players yet to expereince the story than those that drone on about how awful the updates are and how new players couldn't help but have a lesser (or even negative) experience.

Boxtox gone horribly wrong everybody in every scene and the story is still worth experiencing. Even with the most vivid frame of reference imaginable ( I've lost too much life to FFX) I enjoy myself thoroughly each and every time through and I know fully what I'm supposedly "missing."

User Info: Breastmilkn_Dip

Breastmilkn_Dip
3 months ago#5
Agreed, for the most part. I bought the PS3 remaster in summer 2014 and have barely touched it; got as far as Mihen Highroad and haven't felt the need to return to it. Amongst other things, I found the updated faces borderline macabre; the close-ups on some of them (...highlighting the horrible eyeball modelling especially) made them look like a cross between a Chucky Doll and the Johnny Cab from Total Recall.

Also, loading screens. I've played the PS2 (PAL) version every year since inception and the operational / transitional side of the game has always been a slick and free-flowing process. With the PS3 remaster there's "loading" screens that've entered into the mix acting as a drag factor that makes it feel even more like a step backwards.

I haven't played the PS4 or PC versions (...and have no intention of doing so as I've served my time in hell) so I couldn't speak to which is the most definitive out of all the options available. I'm more than happy playing the PS2 version.

"How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?"

User Info: ssj4warrior

ssj4warrior
3 months ago#6
I own the game on PS2, PS3 and Steam. I am with TC on the faces; I much prefer the PS2 faces for Tidus and Yuna, but it's by no means a deal breaker. I went back to look at the visuals on the PS2 today by pure coincidence to this topic, and wow I never realised how much worse they are compared to the Remaster. The textures are worlds better and more than make up for any face differences. Playing on PC has been great having the speed up feature, although it's still a joke that after all this time we still can't skip cutscenes >=(
Mentions of Cloyster - 582
Number of 56th posts stolen - 143

FFXsaves
3 months ago#7
ssj4warrior posted...
I own the game on PS2, PS3 and Steam. I am with TC on the faces; I much prefer the PS2 faces for Tidus and Yuna, but it's by no means a deal breaker. I went back to look at the visuals on the PS2 today by pure coincidence to this topic, and wow I never realised how much worse they are compared to the Remaster. The textures are worlds better and more than make up for any face differences. Playing on PC has been great having the speed up feature, although it's still a joke that after all this time we still can't skip cutscenes >=(

Mods go a long way to mitigate some of the facial shortcomings.

Also, there is no clean cutscene skip per se but there is a mod (untitled x mod) that allows you to speed through all the field level scenes at 8x (you can actually set it higher in the files but Ive not seen it tested)

It's not perfect but it is WORLDS better than not having it at all. Its especially great for those grindfest that require you do the same task repeatedly just to get the right drop.

Another thing people may not be using to its fullest, the PC auto-save can be cleverly used at times on grinds to skip certain scenes.

For example, there's no tidy save spot before the Garuda in the stadium. The auto-save injects one right before so you can use it to regrind for Aurons drop if you need.

There are other points its useful (just look for the Chocobo running in the corner) but that one sprung to mind as I used it for a AO run. Just keep in mind you can't go past the autosave point or it oversaves it. Grind in the session, get your drop, save and move on.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
3 months ago#8
FFXsaves posted...
Second, there are mucho improvements on the PC edition. Speed ups/encounter increases have made grinds/challenge runs supremely more tolerable.
I think the interface has a welcome fresh coat of paint as well. (the original is very garrish IMO)

I agree. I liked all of the neat gimmicks they had. I can't even go back to the console version now.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

User Info: ssj4warrior

ssj4warrior
3 months ago#9
FFXsaves posted...
Also, there is no clean cutscene skip per se but there is a mod (untitled x mod) that allows you to speed through all the field level scenes at 8x (you can actually set it higher in the files but Ive not seen it tested)

It's not perfect but it is WORLDS better than not having it at all. Its especially great for those grindfest that require you do the same task repeatedly just to get the right drop.

Another thing people may not be using to its fullest, the PC auto-save can be cleverly used at times on grinds to skip certain scenes.

I've tried to get the Untitled X mod to work but with no luck, but I might have to have another go at it because it does offer quite a few really nice features.

As for the auto-save, I've mainly used it for Blitzball. Resetting to try and get a player to not be re-signed by an opposing team is still a pain, but the auto-save places you at the start of the Blitz match you're going to forfeit. This obviously saves the time it takes to menu to Blitz, selecting the Exhibition option and setting up your team for the match. Only saves maybe 20 seconds or so but it's nice.
Mentions of Cloyster - 582
Number of 56th posts stolen - 143

FFXsaves
3 months ago#10
ssj4warrior posted...
FFXsaves posted...

I've tried to get the Untitled X mod to work but with no luck, but I might have to have another go at it because it does offer quite a few really nice features.

As for the auto-save, I've mainly used it for Blitzball. Resetting to try and get a player to not be re-signed by an opposing team is still a pain, but the auto-save places you at the start of the Blitz match you're going to forfeit. This obviously saves the time it takes to menu to Blitz, selecting the Exhibition option and setting up your team for the match. Only saves maybe 20 seconds or so but it's nice.

I think currently it's going through some serious growing pains. K was aggressive in adding features and it, while they are impressive, some things broke or disappeared. He'll get it up to snuff soon enough but perhaps an older version would suit you best for the time being.

The 8x speed in cutscenes is a god-send. I'm doing a No- blah blah blah everything - challenge and have spent the better part of a month fighting Sinspawn Gui. It is teetering on the cusp of unbearable but I do think I'd have lost my mind without the speedup in a few places.

UnX mod adds lots of niceties and a few luxuries that just feel right having around (after you've played the game to death and you don't gain/learn anything from the standard fare) The character mods are great as an option (I personally dislike the liberties taken in art style by some of the modders but I'm sort of a purist) and the extra stuff like screen fixes, speed ups, AP for everyone in the party w/o tedious swap ins (I fought this one hard but dang it really increases quality of life w/little hit to the purity of a run.)

Again, the PC's great benefit is options. I can add, switch, use, or remove things as fits my restrictions and my saves aren't tied to a singular console or ecosystem or what have you.

PC version made me love the game even more which seemed impossible. Are the faces as emotive as I'd like? He-ll to the no. But the improvements are real and substantial.

And besides, many people have moved firmly into the nostalgia phase with FFX. I need very little to trip the neurons into remembrance and having time wasting obstacles mitigated gets me back to where I want to be without much of a trudge.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X
  3. The remaster of Final Fantasy X is terrible, this is the definitive edition.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived