Is anyone still here?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guardian's Crusade
  3. Is anyone still here?

User Info: Soren10

Soren10
3 months ago#141
Galestork posted...
Speaking of small details, I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but has anyone seen the weird sunken chest around the most northwest/southeast corner (just below Darwin's island, iirc)? It's really strange, I originally just chalked it up to the Zephyr with it's one chest on the deck, but I realized the chest and Zephyr ruins are nowhere near each other.....

About the merchant, that is really weird and I've been trying to think all morning why that could have happened. Did you do anything differently during this playthrough? It's difficult to really stray from the story's path, especially in the beginning, but I wonder if, for example, something like visiting Denime early or skipping some dialogue like you said could affect it....Really makes me wonder 1) what on earth you could have missed in order for him to not be there and 2) what else is like that in the game?
Another thought, is it possible that you're too high of a level and the game didn't think you needed help at that point? Did you make a trip outside of the ruins area while you were at that part of the story? I wonder if something like that could happen, like you abandon the story for a little and come back to see he's missing.....Really so many possibilities!

@ Calmlander, that's cool about the winged lion! Once Knight leaves the area and the lion realizes it's safe, he probably seizes the opportunity to hightail it out of there after getting his butt kicked by Kalkanor and Ramal. :P I guess it's similar to Galestork, who just goes missing after the Cave of Fear happenings (although is reported to have been seen flying over the Orgo and San Claria area afterwards), and the Holy Dragon at Kisa Canyon, who just sinks into the water after being defeated....I think the Winged Lion is really the only one that you can *actually* kill?
And clearly I need to be talking to NPCs more! I think I usually pay more attention to later towns' NPCs, mostly because the story really picks up later, but then of course I'm missing out on cute details like "Bebeo"!!!

Edit: this was longer than I had intended....Soren I don't think you need to worry about long posts anymore :PP

Sorry for the late reply but at that time I was specifically seeing if there was anyway to kind of sequence break the game or see if there were any other alternate ways the story could pan out like kisa canyon. So at that point I was skipping A LOT of dialogue and trying not to trigger any story events or at least as few as possible to get to kuldo ruins. So that's why I think it was simply dialogue that I missed. Had I known that it was even possible for the merchant to not show up I would have paid a little more attention to who I did and didn't talk to. I don't think it had anything to do with my level because most of the enemies in the ruins were still pink
"We are human. Fighting is in our DNA, we get it and we like it." Dana White

User Info: Alltra

Alltra
3 months ago#142
That brings up another question though. Where are Baby's parameters displayed, if they are at all?
The meaning of life is to suffer and be miserable.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.

Soren10
3 months ago#143
I'm not sure if you mean in game or in the games code but I've never seen it displayed anywhere in game. I will say that as a kid playing this game, I didn't know about baby having affection for you and subsequently would let him die in battle every now and then and would always have him fetch for items (I believe that lowers his affection for you) and in that play through he is would attack me during battle here and there. In this most recent play through I've been feeding him snacks and keeping him alive in battle and the only real difference that I've noticed is that he transforms more often.

But speaking about his transformations it seems to me that he is more likely to do it in difficult fights. Before I fought Ruval I was grinding levels at the dungeon on the northern continent (nords tower or something like that) to see how well I could do against kalkanor. For those enemies I was a tad under leveled and baby seemed to transform very often to make up for the difference in strength. I've never seen him transform that often, also the same thing happened while I was in the swamp on the way to Kuldo ruins.

Alltra
3 months ago#144
That's annoying and disappointing. Hidden stats and mechanics are a pet peeve of mine. I strongly dislike them.

User Info: Calmlander

Calmlander
3 months ago#145
In my last run, i never let Baby die, usually keeping with good health, and never asked to fetch, because i read about the affection. Baby never attacked me, usually healing me instead. Gameplaywise, there is not much difference, but is satisfactory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWkvyeAu0E

Alltra
3 months ago#146
I've read in the FAQs that you can feed baby weapons and armor to increase his Attack, Defense, and HP. I've tried this a few times, but haven't seen an effect. How does this work, if it does?

Calmlander
3 months ago#147
Alltra posted...
I've read in the FAQs that you can feed baby weapons and armor to increase his Attack, Defense, and HP. I've tried this a few times, but haven't seen an effect. How does this work, if it does?

Yes, i usually feed Baby with old armor and weapons, and yes, it affects the stats, the stronger the piece of gear, the raising is quicker, i've seen it mysef, sometimes i give a sword to Baby and his attack is raised by one, same with the armor and defense.

Can't tell the numbers, though, but ideally, with infinite money and time you can feed Baby with Platinum gear and make your pet unstoppable.

Soren10
3 months ago#148
Speaking of feeding baby, I believe it's either on the zephyr in jungo or possibly the port town where you first board the zephyr there is a crate you can search and it lets you choose between a bean and a bug. The bug is good to feed to baby but I don't know what the bean does. I can't remember ever picking it.

Alltra
3 months ago#149
Seems to be based on some sort of item exp system. Luck appears to have an effect on the failure rate, the times he brings back nothing. It doesn't seem to have much, if any, effect on the quality of items.

Or not. Who knows? Just what I'm experiencing at the moment.

Not sure why that one FAQ suggests Fetch is useless or not worthwhile. I've been getting tons of grew stuff, and feeding baby for stat UPS, which is apparently raising his affection because he kicks ass in combat, heals when necessary, and has been transforming on a frequent basis even though I haven't even learned any yet.

Calmlander
3 months ago#150
Sorry for the off-topic, if you guys want, i'll delete this post, but just thought about it, in some old posts in this topic it was asked for similar games to Guardian's Crusade, i think i've found one, PoPoLoCrois.

Is a japanese turn based RPG, doesn't have a pet interface like GC, but is similar in tone, the creator was asked about the game and said he was thinking RPGs were becoming more and more brutal and didn't like that direction so he made PoPoLoCrois.

The story is based about a young prince who wants to retrieve the soul of her mother from the otherworld, and is helped, among others, from a forest witch, a knight and a designer of machinery. In later chapters, an orphan baby dragon join the party, too ;).

PoPoLoCrois is in 2D and used (imo) some of the best sprites ever created. It was released in 2005 for the PSP, if you can, check it out.
  1. Boards
  2. Guardian's Crusade
  3. Is anyone still here?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.