Is the localization bad?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Suikoden II
  3. Is the localization bad?

User Info: Breeder459

Breeder459
2 months ago#1
I heard the this game's localization is awful. How awful is it?

User Info: Crusader_NR

Crusader_NR
2 months ago#2
Yes, the localization is pretty bad. You will frequently see wording that is incorrect and scenes that seem a bit strange due to poor translations.

That being said the story is easy to follow, the characters are likable, and the overall experience is fantastic. I would suggest not letting the poor localization deter you from playing the game.

Also I have heard the PAL version was better translated, but cannot confirm this myself.
"I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings" - Max Payne

User Info: Lockeadon

Lockeadon
2 months ago#3
theres a few other problems iirc, like cloned dialogue in some city and some music not playing

Breeder459
2 months ago#4
Have these problems been fixed on the PSN edition? And has the localization been improved?

User Info: SIMSteven

SIMSteven
2 months ago#5
All PSN ports are exact copies of their original version since that's a restriction of PSN itself.

Also, the translations wasn't so bad. There are a few typos here and there, but the main story dialogue was translated the best overall. Most of the issues with text are in less important locations.
Help get MegaMan Legends 3 back in production. www.capcom-unity.com/devroom
Join the official Dev Room, sign the petition, and participate!

User Info: ShizuruKuwabara

ShizuruKuwabara
2 months ago#6
Ellipses: The Game
https://i.imgur.com/wsLQrF5.png

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
2 months ago#7
On the whole it's bearable but there are a few really bad mistranslations

First in a few of the towns where people offer you information on trading goods, the stuff wasn't translated so it just ends up as garbled nonsense

And then one that I really remember is when Luc refers to "High Priest Sasarai" when he meant to say "Hikusaak"

And then there's another instance with Leknaat where she refers to the Bright Shield Rune and Black Sword Rune as the "Shining Shield Rune" and "Black Blade Rune" respectively. That's not a major mistranslation so much as it is really sloppy that the localization team used a single correct term for the entire game *except* for that one scene of dialogue
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: SIMSteven

SIMSteven
2 months ago#8
One other example is I think there are about 3 different spellings on Jowy. I think I've seen that, Joei, and Jowey. But it's mostly Jowy except in a couple spots.

Also, the ellipses thing isn't necessarily incorrect. Lots of periods like in the picture above simply means a very long pause before anyone decides to say anything, and in this case, Viktor was eventually the person to speak up.
Help get MegaMan Legends 3 back in production. www.capcom-unity.com/devroom
Join the official Dev Room, sign the petition, and participate!

Breeder459
2 months ago#9
Thanks, guys. I've just bought the PSN version and played it for about an hour. So far, the translations are not bad.
  1. Boards
  2. Suikoden II
  3. Is the localization bad?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived