Basic mechanics

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tactics Ogre
  3. Basic mechanics

User Info: FalloutGeek

FalloutGeek
3 years ago#1
Hey, I am playing a snes rom, and just need to know some basic mechanics stuff which I can't find info on anywhere. Specifically, my wizard just hit level 7 and randomly his spell hit 5 panels instead of the normal 1. The next time he cast the spell it was back to 1. Is this a choice you can make? How do you control it?

My MP is completely restored every turn. Normal?

Finally, how does one class level up in relation to the others? Meaning if I take my wizard to level 30, then turn him into a cleric, what will his cleric skills be like?

I THINK I might understand the buying and equipping spells bit... Maybe.

User Info: bunalz3

bunalz3
2 years ago#2
FalloutGeek posted...
Is this a choice you can make? How do you control it?

Higher INT = Increased range. AFAIK, there's no a manual way to explicitly control it. Glitch? Or did you change equipments? What spell did you use?

My MP is completely restored every turn. Normal?

Taken from FAQ: 1 MP regenerates every 20 WT. Slower character regenerates more. Certain equipments also increase this regeneration.

How much MP your character has? Any special equipments? Do other characters have their MP fully restored too?

Finally, how does one class level up in relation to the others? Meaning if I take my wizard to level 30, then turn him into a cleric, what will his cleric skills be like?

None. Without manually equipping spells, your cleric won't mean much.

I THINK I might understand the buying and equipping spells bit... Maybe.

Care to elaborate then? :)

User Info: FalloutGeek

FalloutGeek
2 years ago#3
Yes! Thanks for the reply. So in discussing the effect of my wizard's spell, I was referring to how many panels the spell HITS, not the range from which he can hit something. So, his fire attack is now hitting in a cross pattern instead of a single panel.
I am assuming he simply levels up as a wizard and his spells start to hit more enemies, fair enough, but I'm thrown off by the fact that they do not display any indication of how strong your character is in a SPECIFIC class. They show my wizard as level 8, but if he is turned into a cleric, he is still level 8, and his cleric spells will suck, while his wizard spells keep their strength?

So if I turn that level 30 wizard into a cleric, you're saying he will be severely limited in which cleric spells he can equip? And their area of effect will be the same as if I was level 1 (assuming what I was saying about my fire attack above is accurate)? BUT I assume the STRENGTH of his cleric spells will be based on his INT, which has gone up with his leveling up as a wizard?

In other words, if I randomly turn my knight into a berserker, will he be suffering any loss because he hasn't leveled up at all as a berserker?

The only thing that throws me off about equipping spells is there is no clear indication of when/how I will be able to equip a spell that I just bought.

Everyone's MP is being restored every turn, the regen makes sense. But this does not: sometimes I start a battle with only half or so of my Max MP. What gives??

I REALLY appreciate your reply. I realize this game is almost twenty years old. I'm playing it for the first time and loving it, just a little confused due to lack of a manual and it seems like a lot of info happens "behind the scenes"/isn't displayed or spelled out for you.

bunalz3
2 years ago#4
FalloutGeek posted...
I was referring to how many panels the spell HITS, not the range from which he can hit something. So, his fire attack is now hitting in a cross pattern instead of a single panel.

LoL. I called that range (of attacks), since the range of target is fixed per class/spell. Maybe your wizard picked up an INT up (i.e. Mind card)?

So if I turn that level 30 wizard into a cleric, you're saying he will be severely limited in which cleric spells he can equip?
And their area of effect will be the same as if I was level 1 (assuming what I was saying about my fire attack above is accurate)?

First, yes: Clerics won't be able to use offensive spells (Fire, Acid Rain, Incubus, Kaminari, etc). Their role is to support your characters (Heal, Vitalize, Heal+, Heal All). So that answers the second question: If Cleric can't even cast it, you won't see the AoE. However! Let's say there's a cheat that forces Cleric to be able to cast it; then her AoE will follow that of the wizard's since it's INT that matters.

I'm thrown off by the fact that they do not display any indication of how strong your character is in a SPECIFIC class. They show my wizard as level 8, but if he is turned into a cleric, he is still level 8, and his cleric spells will suck, while his wizard spells keep their strength?

Ah, I think I'm slowly getting what you're trying to say. Is it "Class Growth & Traits"?: http://youtu.be/PH3KZ_jbd6w?t=10m23s
Class change won't change your level. As mentioned above, the cleric spells won't suck, and she would not be able to use the wizard spells. By the way, wizard class is for the males, and cleric class for the females. So, class change won't occur, but I'll let that slide for example purposes. ;)

BUT I assume the STRENGTH of his cleric spells will be based on his INT, which has gone up with his leveling up as a wizard?

Yes! That's what veteran gamers do: utilising the "Class Growth". You level up a character for the stats gains, then change the class to what you're intending. Eg: You change Amazon to Archer, then halfway (or quarter way) to Siren. Then, you change the class ultimately to Witch: She gain high success ratio (Stun, Petrify, etc) from Archer's DEX, and enough MP from Siren's growth.

In other words, if I randomly turn my knight into a berserker, will he be suffering any loss because he hasn't leveled up at all as a berserker?

Yes and no: Berzerker lost the skill to wield a sword, but gain the skill to wield an axe. Without levelling up, Berzerker has defense bonus (not DEF stat, mind you); it's one of the symbols you see below the character's potrait: top left is sword (physical attack), bottom left is sword being blocked (physical defense).
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/198881-tactics-ogre/images/screen-18
In the image: 123 as phy. attack, 75 as phy. defense.

bunalz3
2 years ago#5
*Double posting because not enough space to reply in one post*

The only thing that throws me off about equipping spells is there is no clear indication of when/how I will be able to equip a spell that I just bought.

Hm. I've completely forgotten already whether the game tells you that or not. But I never forget which class could equip what spells. Different classes have different (with some cases, overlapping) spells sets. Witch can only use status-based spells, Wizard/Siren/Warlock use your typical magic spells. Not all physical class don't know how to use magic: Sword Master, Ninja, Valkyrie, etc. You can read more: http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588770-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/faqs/32399

Everyone's MP is being restored every turn, the regen makes sense. But this does not: sometimes I start a battle with only half or so of my Max MP. What gives??

That's one of the game's nature. It prevents you from spamming (powerful) spells right on from the start. If you insist (like we do), bring Magi+ or similar items (equip to someone faster/lighter than the mages in question) and give it to the mages; don't equip the mages themselves with those items (like CPU does)--waste of precious turns for the mages.

I REALLY appreciate your reply. I realize this game is almost twenty years old. I'm playing it for the first time and loving it, just a little confused due to lack of a manual and it seems like a lot of info happens "behind the scenes"/isn't displayed or spelled out for you.

FIRST TIME? Wow! I'm blown! XD
No problem, I also love this game and continue to do so ever since when I first played it (for the PS1 back in 2003) even though my first was Final Fantasy Tactics, ironically. Besides, Atlus is one of my favourites.

This board's been quiet for a while, so if you have questions, I'll be glad to help!

User Info: ZekuMusashi

ZekuMusashi
2 years ago#6
On the matter of spell AoE, it indeed increases with enough INT (maybe also MEN?)
but weather and terrain also can help as well as hinder you if you're close to a +1 AoE value.

E.g. clear skies boost anything Fire-elemental while it gets dampened (heh) in rain and as for terrain,
turn on "Display Status" in the options or press Confirm on an empty tile to see its effect on elements
(which add to the general offensive / defensive properties of each type of terrain when standing on it).

... I hope this made some sense, I don't know exactly how all of this affects stats / damage / whatnot
myself or if I'm even 100% correct in what I just wrote, so don't feel bad if you're confused :P

I'll definitely second the Battle Mechanics Guide as an excellent source of information.
You want an awesome free Collectible Card Game?
~~~~~~~~ www.cardmasterconflict.com ~~~~~~~~

User Info: TopperCop

TopperCop
2 years ago#7
The values of each elemental on the field can be changed by casting the 10MP map spells of each corresponding element or using the Van/Fol/Sol/Ohncharms you find as buried treasure.

The effect of each cast stacks and if done enough times, even low level wizards can get an increase to the range of AoE when he is casting the corresponding spell of the element.
  1. Boards
  2. Tactics Ogre
  3. Basic mechanics

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived