I just finished a "non formatted" walkthrough

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Message Board Help
  3. I just finished a "non formatted" walkthrough

User Info: FinalFLuver

FinalFLuver
2 weeks ago#1
It has been over 4 years since i wrote a guide, and i dont remember how to transfer my guide from Word into a text based document on Notepad WITHOUT having the text all messed up.

I know its possible, because ive done it with my other guides, but i dont recall how

can anyone help me?

-I start off by selecting "Save As", and instead of .docx, i choose Plain Text (.txt)
-This brings up a small screen with 4 options:
-> Text Encoding (Windows (Default), MS-DOS, Other encoding)
-> Insert line breaks
-> End Lines with (CR/LF, CR Only, LF Only, LF/CR)
-> Allow Character substitution

i do recall this small screen, but everything i try leaves my text messed up, in particular, my text based tables/charts.

i dont remember what to do. I tried using the link that i added to my favourites list years ago (I titled it "How to convert Word to Notepad", but that seems to have changed because the information that i obtained from that page USED to help me with this, but it doesnt anymore

heres the page im talking about

https://www.gamefaqs.com/help/28-composing-your-guide
Girls play video games too you know ;)

User Info: Montie2k

Montie2k
2 weeks ago#2
What about opening the Word document, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, open Notepad, Ctrl-V, save?
So are we so different? Of course, we are, and you will be even more different if I ever finish my homemade flame thrower.
-Jack Handey

FinalFLuver
2 weeks ago#3
Montie2k posted...
What about opening the Word document, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, open Notepad, Ctrl-V, save?

that works for the messed up tables/charts, but it doesnt have the 79 characters per line. In other words, by pasting it to notepad, id have to go through the entire 550 pages and fix it so that all the text doesnt pass 79 characters (which i had setup in the word document such that every line was less than 79)

so either way im looking at a massive re-edit.

I appreciate the help, but like i mentioned above, there was a way to convert it such that everything passed from word->notepad without losing the edits made in word (tables/charts/characters length/paragraphs/etc), i just dont remember

User Info: Serious Cat

Serious Cat
2 weeks ago#4
Did you use a fixed-width font when you first typed it out? That's the first thing I'd look at.
I are Serious Cat
This is serious thread

FinalFLuver
2 weeks ago#5
Serious Cat posted...
Did you use a fixed-width font when you first typed it out? That's the first thing I'd look at.

i dont know what that is?

FinalFLuver
2 weeks ago#6
i got it:

I needed the following to be selected from that little screen:

->Windows (Default)
-> Insert Line Breaks (box checked)
-> End Lines with: (CR/LF selected from drop box)
-> Allow Character substitution (box checked)

i must have missed this combination when attempting them :)

User Info: Serious Cat

Serious Cat
2 weeks ago#7
FinalFLuver posted...
Serious Cat posted...

i dont know what that is?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monospaced_font

It's that. If you're making tables in a proportional-width font and converting to plain text, your tables will turn out weird.
I are Serious Cat
This is serious thread

FinalFLuver
2 weeks ago#8
Serious Cat posted...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monospaced_font

It's that. If you're making tables in a proportional-width font and converting to plain text, your tables will turn out weird.

so basically a regularly written walkthrough that includes things other than numbers or words. Yes, i use things like (=, -, _, |, ***, < >) etc, etc to make my tables and charts. I've always used them

anyways, like i mentioned already, i figured it out. Using fixed-width font isnt an issue, as you can still transfer everything just fine.

User Info: -hotdogturtle--

-hotdogturtle--
2 weeks ago#9
FinalFLuver posted...
so basically a regularly written walkthrough that includes things other than numbers or words. Yes, i use things like (=, -, _, |, ***, < >) etc, etc to make my tables and charts. I've always used them

Fixed width is the difference between

| Example |
| Table . |

and

| Example |
| Table . |
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC

FinalFLuver
2 weeks ago#10
-hotdogturtle-- posted...
Fixed width is the difference between

| Example |
| Table . |

and

| Example |
| Table . |

like i said above, your SECOND example is what was happening when i converted it to text, then i selected the proper combination (i listed them above), and i got it to work. So now it looks like your FIRST example.

regardless of what fixed width is, i didnt touch anything in the word document. So maybe fixed width is the Default for microsoft word, i dont know, but when converting it to plain text, it can be easily corrected to appear the way you have it in the word document by choosing those settings upon conversion

EDIT: i dont know why the examples now look the same? All i did was quote your message??
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Message Board Help
  3. I just finished a "non formatted" walkthrough

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.