What the heck is with this 80 byte topic limit?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Message Board Help
  3. What the heck is with this 80 byte topic limit?

User Info: Solid Sonic

Solid Sonic
1 week ago#1
I never had an issue with this before.
The only game reviewers who can be trusted are those who publish in Latin or Swahili.

User Info: Devin Morgan

Devin Morgan
1 week ago#2
What exactly are you trying to make your topic title that you're having issues?
Devin Morgan | CRP #3579
NES FAQ Completion Project:
http://faqs.retronintendo.com

User Info: Azkaban

Azkaban
1 week ago#3
There's a byte limit on titles?

User Info: Solid Sonic

Solid Sonic
1 week ago#4
Azkaban posted...
There's a byte limit on titles?

Apparently. If you make a topic title longer than 80 bytes, it kicks it back and tells you to shorten it.

Devin Morgan posted...
What exactly are you trying to make your topic title that you're having issues?

My most recent issue was "Let's say there is a new Mortal Kombat announced for the 25th anniversary..." but I had to remove the ellipsis to make it not complain. It happened once before that too.
The only game reviewers who can be trusted are those who publish in Latin or Swahili.

User Info: Serious Cat

Serious Cat
1 week ago#5
I tried the same topic on a dead board and it even worked with spaces in the ellipses. You didn't happen to copy and paste from a word processor or something did you? That will sometimes make an apostrophe into a coded character. If you included quotes, that will do it too.
I are Serious Cat
This is serious thread

User Info: Rimmer_Dall

Rimmer_Dall
4 days ago#6
The limit has always been 80 bytes. It's just that before it said 80 characters, which was plain old false and why there'd always be someone asking "why can't I post my message even though I'm under the character limit?" and having to be told to not use quotation marks and similar.
Fanfiction community board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1172-fanfiction

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
4 days ago#7
That does seem kinda silly to restrict something because some characters take up more than one byte each. A good idea for a site suggestion? I dunno...might not be a significant change to be worth the effort though. I'd love to see it get implemented in signatures, as I will run into problems there.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

User Info: Mauron

Mauron
4 days ago#8
The database is probably structured in a way that wouldn't allow longer titles, and I doubt they'll change the timing of the escaping, or remove quotation marks from the list. (While <, >, and & must always be escaped for delay, single and double quotes only need to be escaped when used within other single or double quotes. PHP escapes double and not single by default.)
You roll 3d0, a wormhole erupts in your hand and swallows the universe. ~ HyperRyun
http://maurtopia.com
  1. Boards
  2. Message Board Help
  3. What the heck is with this 80 byte topic limit?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.