It occurs to me that we haven't come together to talk about Stardew Valley

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. It occurs to me that we haven't come together to talk about Stardew Valley

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
7 months ago#1
Guys, I sure love Stardew Valley. It scratched the itch that the Rune Factory series scratched only partially, that of a farming sim that I can always come back to no matter how long it's been. I love it in a way that is probably idolatrous.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
7 months ago#2
I had a lot of fun with that some time ago. I haven't come back to it, though. Ultimately, it feels like an incremental game, and those aren't much fun to me once the novelty wears off.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

willis5225
7 months ago#3
There was a relatively significant update, which was enough for me to want to finish certain quest conditions that I was aware of but which required me to play through like three seasons until they would recur. I haven't yet done that, 'cause, y'know, but I'm motivated to do so again.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: BUM

BUM
7 months ago#4
I used to love playing Harvest Moon. I don't know how much similarity there is, though. I could easily play that game over and over.
SIGNATURE

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
7 months ago#5
It's very similar. Stardew is basically a Harvest Moon fangame.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

BUM
7 months ago#6
I liked the homey feeling to Harvest Moon. I suppose that is probably a good bit why most people like it. I do remember in college we did have a roommate, Chris, who played it exclusively as a farmer and almost never went into town or spoke to any person. Kind of strange. The Communist farm, was what it was known as in those days.
SIGNATURE

BUM
7 months ago#7
The man just lived to farm. It was weird. Every day. Get up, farm, go to bed so he can farm all the sooner.
SIGNATURE

willis5225
7 months ago#8
It's similar, but a solipsistic farming lifestyle would be even more out of place in this. There is a lot of care taken to make sure that all the people in the town have lives, and they even interact (in somewhat impressionistic ways) with one another. Not like you're eavesdropping on their conversations, like there are some who sit together on a bench at lunchtime that you wouldn't necessarily notice until you happen to stroll through town at the right moment. Just a sense of low-key vitality that impressed me.
-Mimir

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
7 months ago#9
I've never played a Harvest Moon game, despite many of you all declaring your love for them. Maybe I should try out Stardew.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

willis5225
7 months ago#10
I would endorse it as an intro over, say, Rune Factory. Go for it!

Also while we're admitting to never having played beloved franchises, I've never played Megaman. I dunno, I didn't have an SNES growing up and then later it just never seemed like something I'd be that into. (I like more exploration, y'know? I need a good Metroidesque endless search for upgrades.)
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. It occurs to me that we haven't come together to talk about Stardew Valley

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived